Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 02:19 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times

Advertisements

I was looking for a small business' website (a former friend helped start it) and only get 3rd party listings. With maybe one paragraph about the business. Does this mean the business is not real? It seems to have a location. Of course it's on FB. Is this the new trend? No individual website?

If allowed, I'll post a link to it, and someone tell me if this is real:

Dzee Solutions, 6909 S Holly Cir, Centennial, CO (2019)

Or this one:

https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/0698365D:US

I know people making up businesses to make themselves look good, like on LinkedIn, so wondering...

Last edited by Sand&Salt; 09-23-2019 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 11:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
There are many search engines specific to business, that pick up businesses like these that may or may not have an actual website. If they did, it would be listed with a link. It can certainly be a real business, not every one has to have a website. Though these days, not having a website seems like leaving a lot of money on the table, even if they are on social media. When I see an interesting business on Facebook I'll always click the link to their website for more information.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:41 AM

218 posts, read 214,259 times
Small businesses definitely do not NEED a website. There are plenty of other small businesses in my area, similar to mine, that have no website, aren't listed on Google, etc. But then again they also aren't "legit businesses." They aren't registered, some don't pay any taxes, they rely on word of mouth and referrals primarily, and all they really have is a name and perhaps a FB page.

Some of the websites you see created by any business might have click ads running on them such as the first link you provided. They send you to another site and the person who created the website or owns it gets a small commission "per click" which can really add up depending on traffic.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:36 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I was looking for a small business' website (a former friend helped start it) and only get 3rd party listings. With maybe one paragraph about the business. Does this mean the business is not real? It seems to have a location. Of course it's on FB. Is this the new trend? No individual website?

If allowed, I'll post a link to it, and someone tell me if this is real:

Dzee Solutions, 6909 S Holly Cir, Centennial, CO (2019)

Or this one:

https://www.bloomberg.com/profile/company/0698365D:US

I know people making up businesses to make themselves look good, like on LinkedIn, so wondering...
I dont think every small business needs one or at least mine doesnt.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:30 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Websites increase the sense of security that you're dealing with a real business. It's a real turnoff to me when I hear about something word of mouth but can find no impression of that business on the web. It's enough of a turnoff that unless that business is the only one of its kind, I'll probably go with someone else.

Old 10-01-2019, 07:37 AM

10,502 posts, read 7,043,034 times
If you don't have a website, you pretty much don't exist.

Old 10-05-2019, 05:05 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Virtually every service or business I use has a website that I visited before patronizing them, even if they were recommended by someone.

Old 10-06-2019, 12:08 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
I sell on Amazon. I use their Page Rank.

Don't need a website, don't want one. Been there, done that. Now I have more entertaining things to do with my time.

Old 10-06-2019, 03:17 PM

18,100 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
It depends what the biz is selling and who they're selling to (B2B, B2C, White label, 3rd party, etc). It's important from a marketing and branding standpoint to have a presence to your customers and customize that so you are reaching the people and businesses you want to reach in the most optimal way.

IMO it might be short-sighted to only have a page on Facebook and not have a domain and web site, but I've seen biz owners do just that, as it's fast, easy, and free. I always look for a web site so I can gather info about the products or services I'm interested in as a potential buyer, and if there isn't any I might wonder how serious or legit the biz is.

If it's the local taco truck then no big deal, I'd only care about their hours and where they'll be, which is fine on social media. If it's a service for my home, I want more info and if the biz owner doesn't care to have a presence, they might as well be advertising on Craig's List like some do with just a first name and a phone number. It looks sketch in that situation.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:15 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
if it costs you nothing,why not?
It is like yellow pages,except it has more information and pictures.
When I need someone to do some repair work,I will search and find websites of local shops and email them from their site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business