U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2019, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Raleigh
9,706 posts, read 7,337,653 times
Reputation: 13684

Advertisements

Obviously you can't really compare the two from a viability perspective. But, I did have to laugh a little when I looked through the mail and saw an Amazon toy catalog. It made me think.

Sears was a mail order company that went heavily into retail, and didn't adjust well to the e-commerce revolution (among other mis-steps.) It started with watches; inexpensive to store and ship. They soon sold everything under the sun. Then they went into retail.

Amazon started as an online retailer of books, because they were inexpensive to store and ship. They now sell everything under the sun. Amazon is now opening retail stores.

In some ways, there really is nothing new under the sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2019, 05:55 PM
 
Location: NC
7,448 posts, read 9,328,962 times
Reputation: 15712
When Amazon starts to sell full size kit houses I’ll stand up and take notice!

Actually that would be so cool. They could actually sell the old Sears kit homes. I’d buy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2019, 08:13 PM
 
8,469 posts, read 7,563,267 times
Reputation: 4040
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Obviously you can't really compare the two from a viability perspective. But, I did have to laugh a little when I looked through the mail and saw an Amazon toy catalog. It made me think.

Sears was a mail order company that went heavily into retail, and didn't adjust well to the e-commerce revolution (among other mis-steps.) It started with watches; inexpensive to store and ship. They soon sold everything under the sun. Then they went into retail.

Amazon started as an online retailer of books, because they were inexpensive to store and ship. They now sell everything under the sun. Amazon is now opening retail stores.

In some ways, there really is nothing new under the sun.
I have not heard nor seen of Amazon's brick and mortar storefronts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2019, 08:43 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
3,970 posts, read 1,050,441 times
Reputation: 2372
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I have not heard nor seen of Amazon's brick and mortar storefronts.
There are many (current and coming soon). Amazon 4-Star is in several states including California, Texas, Colorado and Connecticut. There's also Amazon Go in San Francisco (FiDi), Chicago, New York, and Seattle as well as Amazon bookstores (and devices, kindle trade-ins, etc) which are in about thirteen states. There's also Presented By Amazon in California, Nevada and Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2019, 08:51 PM
Status: "additional info" (set 8 days ago)
 
864 posts, read 703,385 times
Reputation: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I have not heard nor seen of Amazon's brick and mortar storefronts.
Whole Foods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2019, 09:10 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
3,970 posts, read 1,050,441 times
Reputation: 2372
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
Whole Foods
Yeah - an almost $14B acquisition; but it's not quite the same as the Amazon-specific storefronts (in name and various merchandise) as it already was (and still is) a grocery chain. That said, it has helped to expand its grocery delivery service dramatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2019, 04:47 AM
 
7,809 posts, read 3,682,282 times
Reputation: 22292
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yeah - an almost $14B acquisition; but it's not quite the same as the Amazon-specific storefronts (in name and various merchandise) as it already was (and still is) a grocery chain. That said, it has helped to expand its grocery delivery service dramatically.

Quality at Whole Foods has noticeably declined since the acquisition. Customer service seems a bit more strained (my local one has mostly the same people but they all seem like they're having to do more with less). The bulletin board where you could post comments has been done away with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2019, 10:57 AM
Status: "additional info" (set 8 days ago)
 
864 posts, read 703,385 times
Reputation: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Quality at Whole Foods has noticeably declined since the acquisition. Customer service seems a bit more strained (my local one has mostly the same people but they all seem like they're having to do more with less). The bulletin board where you could post comments has been done away with.

well, my experience has been just the opposite. the employees have been helpful in showing how to use the amazon app for discounts and the prices have been lowered also. i actually like the store more now than before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2019, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Amelia Island
3,168 posts, read 4,251,080 times
Reputation: 3369
At 59 I have seen so many retailers come and go and I realize and fully understand the ramifications of those businesses that fail to reinvent themselves or take stock in new upcoming competion in their market.

With that being said, my feelings towards the systematic and surgically disassembling of Sears has really been hard for me to watch. I cringe each time Lampert makes an announcement that he is closing more stores or selling a part of Sears off to help bring profitability back to Sears.

There is no denying that before Eddie Lampert touched Sears it was a symbol of success in the retail world.

Long before the Internet they had catalog sales in which a simple phone call into Sears could get that item delivered to your house or picked up at the store. Sears had a means in place to beat Amazon even before Amazon was a household name.

Craftsman, Kenmore, and Diehard were all product lines that were well respected.

There is a story to be told of all of what has transpired and I truly believe Lampert went into the Sears deal as a raider looking to sell off or should I say pluck the fruit.

Some will say Sears and Kmart had it coming but I believe they were never given a chance.

I did not mean to get off topic a bit but I truly believe with the right person at the top Sears could have been a force to reckon with against Amazon.

On a side note I am not quite sure what they are teaching at business schools, but technology, innovation and studying consumer trends is the future of retail. Businesses can win or lose in just a matter of months if they don't look ahead.

As an example, it is hard to believe that not one executive at Blockbuster saw Netflix as fierce competition. Netflix was a David that brought a Golith to its knees!

Last edited by JBtwinz; 11-23-2019 at 05:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2019, 08:21 AM
 
975 posts, read 273,227 times
Reputation: 1179
Amazon could very well suffer the same fate as Sears because I think Sears got out of the catalogue/mail order business because it was too expensive to handle returns and exchanges with their satisfaction warranty. Same for the stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top