U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-06-2020, 10:08 AM
 
1,048 posts, read 332,448 times
Reputation: 1991

Advertisements

Recently, I had an extremely negative experience at a chain. The bad experience revolves around what was quoted to me as “corporate policy” as in “Sorry, nothing we can do!” If what pissed me off was indeed corporate policy, I don’t want to give the individual franchise a bad rating on Yelp. I want to air my griefs online about the corporation itself. Apparently, you can’t do this in Yelp. Or maybe you can and it is just not easy to figure out how to do this.

So, where do I go to complain about a corporation, not the individual franchise? I mean I don’t want to leave my local place a bad review if it really isn’t their fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2020, 10:56 AM
 
Location: North Idaho
24,667 posts, read 32,333,959 times
Reputation: 50069
I would assume if you go to the company's main website that there will be a way to contact them directly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2020, 10:57 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,388 posts, read 59,036,654 times
Reputation: 35484
I would go ahead and complain at the chain level, but make it clear that the employee there called it “corporate policy”. It may or may not actually be such. For complaints about actual corporate, it may be appropriate to post on BBB (Better Business Bureau) depending on the complaint. BBB will contact them for a response. A few years ago I and many others made complaints about a TV manufacturer and that company is still rated F to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2020, 01:55 PM
 
1,048 posts, read 332,448 times
Reputation: 1991
Thanks. I sent an email complaint to headquarters a few weeks ago and never heard back.

I am pretty sure my beef is a actually with corporate policy. I actually talked to the manager at my local franchise and contacted another franchise and heard the same story.

BBB it is then, I guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2020, 08:48 PM
 
Location: VA, IL, FL, SD, TN, NC, SC
1,192 posts, read 333,157 times
Reputation: 2607
As an fyi, most zees are in and of themselves a corporation even if just a c-corp. This is especially true of MUFs. So it can be very true that it is a corporate policy, just perhaps not the corporation you are thinking of : )

If this is indeed an actual zor policy I would ask the zee how it is enforced (likely through the operating manual enforced by the FA). They should be able to actually show you in most cases.

Understand that part of the franchise model's innate value proposition is that the local zee knows something about the local community or has ties the zor doesn't Hence most customer satisfaction issues that are not part of an expressed national warranty or policy are at the zees discretion.

For example, part returns on a auto franchise would likely be at the zor level. Deciding to rework that brake job they just did and turn the rotors the neglected to turn before is likely a zees decision.

If the zees are singing in unison a hymn, then I would ask the zee if they have a franchisee organization and would approach the franchisee organization and ask them to have the zor change the policy.

Just as an FYI, often a zee will lay off a lot on the zor that is not true, and the zees all know each other and tend to stick together for sake of overall adhesion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2020, 04:52 AM
 
1,048 posts, read 332,448 times
Reputation: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
As an fyi, most zees are in and of themselves a corporation even if just a c-corp. This is especially true of MUFs. So it can be very true that it is a corporate policy, just perhaps not the corporation you are thinking of : )

If this is indeed an actual zor policy I would ask the zee how it is enforced (likely through the operating manual enforced by the FA). They should be able to actually show you in most cases.

Understand that part of the franchise model's innate value proposition is that the local zee knows something about the local community or has ties the zor doesn't Hence most customer satisfaction issues that are not part of an expressed national warranty or policy are at the zees discretion.

For example, part returns on a auto franchise would likely be at the zor level. Deciding to rework that brake job they just did and turn the rotors the neglected to turn before is likely a zees decision.

If the zees are singing in unison a hymn, then I would ask the zee if they have a franchisee organization and would approach the franchisee organization and ask them to have the zor change the policy.

Just as an FYI, often a zee will lay off a lot on the zor that is not true, and the zees all know each other and tend to stick together for sake of overall adhesion.
Zee? Zor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2020, 07:01 AM
 
5,122 posts, read 3,412,922 times
Reputation: 10391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Recently, I had an extremely negative experience at a chain. The bad experience revolves around what was quoted to me as “corporate policy” as in “Sorry, nothing we can do!” If what pissed me off was indeed corporate policy, I don’t want to give the individual franchise a bad rating on Yelp. I want to air my griefs online about the corporation itself. Apparently, you can’t do this in Yelp. Or maybe you can and it is just not easy to figure out how to do this.

So, where do I go to complain about a corporation, not the individual franchise? I mean I don’t want to leave my local place a bad review if it really isn’t their fault.
I don't understand why people want to give negative reviews to a company just because they don't offer what the person wants.

They didn't provide bad service, they didn't sell a broken item and refuse to refund, they just simply don't have or offer exactly what the shopper/potential customer wanted.

Happened to us recently, some stranger gave us the worst review because we don't carry one specific brand out of hundreds of similar brands.

It seems that a normal person wouldn't get angry and retaliate by leaving a negative public rating, but would simply continue shopping for the company that would have the service or product they want.

Ratings are a big deal these days, but every company can't provide everything to everyone, we focus on what we do well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2020, 08:11 PM
 
1,048 posts, read 332,448 times
Reputation: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I don't understand C why people want to give negative reviews to a company just because they don't offer what the person wants.

They didn't provide bad service, they didn't sell a broken item and refuse to refund, they just simply don't have or offer exactly what the shopper/potential customer wanted.

Happened to us recently, some stranger gave us the worst review because we don't carry one specific brand out of hundreds of similar brands.

It seems that a normal person wouldn't get angry and retaliate by leaving a negative public rating, but would simply continue shopping for the company that would have the service or product they want.

Ratings are a big deal these days, but every company can't provide everything to everyone, we focus on what we do well.
That’s not why I want to right a bad review. It’s because they were discriminatory. It is a matter of a spa chain who refused to serve me because it is their corporate policy not to serve cancer survivors for six months after the end of treatment. They made it sound like it was all for my own good (you are so fragile now, we are just trying to protect you) whereas the truth is that they are trying to make life easier for themselves and perhaps trying to protect their image. This became clear when I asked them if they would serve me (give me a massage) if I had proof that I am currently in good health (normal blood counts, normal energy levels, no evidence of cancer on scans, green light from my oncologists, etc.) They still said that wouldn’t serve me no matter what, no matter my current health status, simply because I am a cancer survivor and that is their policy.

I checked around and other Hand & Stone franchises point to the same corporate policy.

Ahem ... the inconvenient truth (for them) is that cancer survivors are a protected class under the American with Disabilities Act and you can’t just decide that your corporate policy is not to serve them for a certain length of time, particularly if there is no compelling medical reason to withholding service — the client’s treating oncologists say it is fine/write note. (And, actually, the ADA states that an establishment may refuse service to a client, if serving this client would hurt other people at the establishment, not the person in question.)

I have heard from a civil rights lawyer, that, in his book at least, it is a clear-cut case of discrimination. Also, I have heard back from my regional Americans with Disabilities Center and they have suggested I file a complaint with the Department of Justice.

So, you see, it’s not something like .... I didn’t like their aromatherapy scents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2020, 07:24 AM
 
5,122 posts, read 3,412,922 times
Reputation: 10391
I'm so sorry for your cancer and the fact that you couldn't get your service at that specific spa when you wanted it.

Personally, I would rather go to the spas that had training and experience handling patients undergoing chemo.

It definitely raises many legal questions under ADA. Does every spa have to offer special services for every medical condition, such as having someone on staff trained in oncology massage? Is the 6 month wait reasonable? Would they be exempt from future lawsuits if a spa customer claimed their cancer spread or they were injured during a visit? Are there generally accepted practices in that industry that support their corporate policy?

That said, I wouldn't spend my money on attorneys delving into all these issues and fighting back and forth if I could get the service from another company that wants to offer it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2020, 10:50 AM
 
1,048 posts, read 332,448 times
Reputation: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I'm so sorry for your cancer and the fact that you couldn't get your service at that specific spa when you wanted it.

Personally, I would rather go to the spas that had training and experience handling patients undergoing chemo.

It definitely raises many legal questions under ADA. Does every spa have to offer special services for every medical condition, such as having someone on staff trained in oncology massage? Is the 6 month wait reasonable? Would they be exempt from future lawsuits if a spa customer claimed their cancer spread or they were injured during a visit? Are there generally accepted practices in that industry that support their corporate policy?

That said, I wouldn't spend my money on attorneys delving into all these issues and fighting back and forth if I could get the service from another company that wants to offer it.

Thanks, my chemo ended Nov. 6th. It was low dose chemo, so I really didn’t even have that many problems when I was going through it (didn’t vomit once, didn’t lose my hair) and am fine now.

I am most definitely not asking for special services. I just want the standard service and my oncologists say it would be perfectly fine for me. But nope.

If they were so worried, why couldn’t I just sign a waiver?

I’m not spending money on attorneys. I just want to leave a bad review for the entire corporation, not for my local franchise.

Also, I am pretty sure all the spa chains have a similar policy. Yes, I will eventually find someone independent, but it’s a pain in the ass to find someone who is good and reliable and reasonably priced. Will probably take a month or two.

BTW, I had that at H&S. I was a member there for a couple of years and I had my favorite therapist. So, it wasn’t like I was just walking in off the street, I had an ongoing relationship with them which they chose to temporarily sever.

Last edited by Jill_Schramm; 01-08-2020 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top