U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 09:02 PM

20,872 posts, read 5,268,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
What types of organizations or corporations would have an strong incentive to see their employees improve their economic and financial knowledge and critical skill sets?

To expand a bit further, a good understanding of economics (macro economics and micro economics), financial markets, financial knowledge, ever-changing events around us and beyond, technological advances, critical thinking, analytical skills etc.
Major banks?

Thanks.
I guess like a financial literacy organization maybe.I would think banks and financial instiutiions would be good for learning about economics and that sort of thing.However i dont think a regular employer would teach a lot of financial literacy to their workers because a company would would want to keep their employees dependent on their paychecks.

I can see a job that wants a lot of knowledge of economics but not really wants to be focused on personal finance and literacy unless it was a financial education or financial literacy company.Thats just the impression i get from things i have read but i could be wrong.Those are just my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 07:43 PM

297 posts, read 111,934 times
@C24L,

"I guess like a financial literacy organization maybe.I would think banks and financial instiutiions would be good for learning about economics and that sort of thing."
I agree.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,214 posts, read 43,010,343 times
You could always study and take the (3 level) CFA exam.

https://www.cfainstitute.org/programs/cfa

Read this before you sign up. >50% failure rate on levels 1&2. They are tough for a reason.
https://news.efinancialcareers.com/u...fail-cfa-exams

Really depends on your goals / objectives. There are many paths to follow, and plenty to get you lost.

Are you looking at investing, research, financial controls (reporting requirements), taxation, planning, banking, macro or micro economics, legislation, international, career or hobby? Need certifications?

For general info there is a lot of daily content on financial radio. +/-
I did the self study "Fools School" back before Motley Fool became commercialized. Many brokerages and institutions have free web based courses and weekly webinars. Places like Tasty Trade and Seeking Alpha have daily briefings. (Trading). I get the weekly Fear and Greed review.

Wall Street Week (NPR) money talk, .... Bogleheads wiki. ....

Endless sources.

Enjoy the journey.

Give us your primary objectives, time frame, background (experience) and we can direct you to the most beneficial direction for expedient results.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,214 posts, read 43,010,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
What types of organizations or corporations would have an strong incentive to see their employees improve their economic and financial knowledge and critical skill sets?

To expand a bit further, a good understanding of economics (macro economics and micro economics), financial markets, financial knowledge, ever-changing events around us and beyond, technological advances, critical thinking, analytical skills etc.
Major banks?

Thanks.
Banks can be pretty watered down (specialized positions).

Smaller operations and those managing vast 401k / retirement plans, endowments...

I know this operation takes financial literacy and accountability quite serious, as will similar high net worth investment firms.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Investment. (formerly BGI.... Bill Gates Investments). Managing $80b for a very narrow client base (Gates / B&M Gates Foundation / and Buffet gifting)

There are many similar operations doing this work worldwide. Many in Non- Profit sector.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:39 PM

@StealthRabbit,

"
Smaller operations and those managing vast 401k / retirement plans, endowments...

I know this operation takes financial literacy and accountability quite serious, as will similar high net worth investment firms.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascade_Investment. (formerly BGI.... Bill Gates Investments). Managing $80b for a very narrow client base (Gates / B&M Gates Foundation / and Buffet gifting)
"
Is there any specific association that these operations / companies / or organizations are members of ?

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:18 AM

1,331 posts, read 773,313 times
At a high level, the world economic forum, held in Davos annually, has 1000 member companies.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:29 PM

4,850 posts, read 2,182,142 times
https://y4y.ed.gov/financial-literacy-for-all Government programs

Junior Achievement is a nice foundation that excels at getting businesses to send professionals to schools to teach finance lesson plans once a month. They also offer the lessons for home schooling

https://www.juniorachievement.org/we...ement-save-usa

Old 02-04-2020, 07:05 PM

@foodyum and @artilery77, thank you for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or