Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2020, 07:00 AM

604 posts, read 839,913 times

Advertisements

Can anyone make recommendations for a good online meeting service for a small business? I'm a 1 person business, but I need to have meetings about every three months with quite a few attendees. Some of the meeting services I've looked into are expensive when the attendees go over 100 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 09:45 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
I'm a huge fan of Zoom and WebEx. They have similar functionality, but Zoom is probably better for small business because it has a simple subscription model. I can't recall which tiers allow for 100+ members, but it wasn't too expensive.

The key to a successful call is the "auto mute on join" (for big meetings) and the ability to dial in using phone instead of computer, which both Zoom and WebEx have. I have had TERRIBLE luck with Skype for Business, which is supposed to be a competitor but is nowhere on the same level.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I'm a huge fan of Zoom and WebEx. They have similar functionality, but Zoom is probably better for small business because it has a simple subscription model. I can't recall which tiers allow for 100+ members, but it wasn't too expensive.

The key to a successful call is the "auto mute on join" (for big meetings) and the ability to dial in using phone instead of computer, which both Zoom and WebEx have. I have had TERRIBLE luck with Skype for Business, which is supposed to be a competitor but is nowhere on the same level.
Thanks. I'll check into those. I used to work for a large company and they used Webex. I think I looked into that at some point and it was too expensive for me. I'm a one person operation but I have a lot of people who need to be in on the calls/meetings.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:20 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
Thanks. I'll check into those. I used to work for a large company and they used Webex. I think I looked into that at some point and it was too expensive for me. I'm a one person operation but I have a lot of people who need to be in on the calls/meetings.
I actually once paid for a Zoom license because my company used WebEx and it just didn't have the functionality I needed. I was paying something like 9.99 per month. Only did it for a few months because they finally released an update to the WebEx platform that added what I needed.

But in those few months I got a good feel for Zoom. I would say that it is basically the same as WebEx now for all practical purposes (except cost, which is where Zoom excels).

Skype Business might be cheapest but it really stinks, even now in 2020 with all the updates that it has gone through. Screen sharing is terrible, video quality not great, but the worst are the echoes- every meeting we hold on Skype, there is at least one person who joins on the computer and ruins it for everyone with their echo. Somehow Zoom and WebEx aren't affected by this, not sure why.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:04 PM

Thanks NYCres. I'll check out those options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business