U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 08:06 PM

7,870 posts, read 3,436,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The point flew right over your head in re: there are different levels of waitstaff in various types of establishments. Obviously, a server at the local hole-in-the-wall is going to make considerably less than a waiter/waitress at a high-end establishment or those who are hired for a special event or party. When we factor in gratuities, we're not discussing union jobs in which everyone receives the same despite (the absence of) competence - and that has the tendency to make some people lose their minds. Better waitstaff will earn more (and should).
Is it possible to find situations where some wait staff are paid more? Sure. But that doesn’t nullify the fact that the vast majority of server positions are minimum wage jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 02:20 AM

2,136 posts, read 912,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Last night we ate out at a local restaurant, and the waitress handed us the hand-held credit/debit card payment device to pay. There was an option to indicate a dollar amount for a tip, but the display had 3 quick click options - the lowest was 18% (which I selected). The others were 25% and 30%. Either of those would require really exceptional service. For me 15% is about the average, if the service is mediocre 10%, and I have (rarely) gone as high as 20%.
I pay cash for tips even when I pay the bill with a CC.

That way I can avoid these gimmicks.

In general, I tip 10%.

I'm not a stickler but it'll be 10% and sometimes up to 12%.

The tipping culture in the US has gotten ridiculous, IMO.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:25 AM

6,993 posts, read 3,158,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
If I Tip 12%, will I get chastised ?

Tipping is not mandatory, but optional. Correct ?

I would think pretty badly of you.

If you can't afford to tip appropriately, then you can't afford to eat out.

Don't be a cheap bastard. Nobody likes a cheap bastard.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,491 posts, read 59,197,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I would think pretty badly of you.

If you can't afford to tip appropriately, then you can't afford to eat out.

Don't be a cheap bastard. Nobody likes a cheap bastard.
A 10% tip used to be normal. Has there been a lot of inflation since then? Yes, but the tip is a percentage of the meal bill. When the price of the meal goes up so does the amount of the tip, without increasing the percentage.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:00 PM

6,993 posts, read 3,158,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
A 10% tip used to be normal. Has there been a lot of inflation since then? Yes, but the tip is a percentage of the meal bill. When the price of the meal goes up so does the amount of the tip, without increasing the percentage.
I’ve dined out for almost 40 years and I can’t remember a time when a tip was 10%

Old 02-27-2020, 07:02 PM

4,643 posts, read 2,578,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I’ve dined out for almost 40 years and I can’t remember a time when a tip was 10%

The main change is everyone asks for a tip - even when you only interact with the cashier.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:54 PM

3,982 posts, read 1,055,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Is it possible to find situations where some wait staff are paid more? Sure. But that doesn’t nullify the fact that the vast majority of server positions are minimum wage jobs.
It also doesn't nullify the fact many people do chastise those who leave a small (or especially no) tip, per the thread. If you can't afford to tip, don't dine out.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
It also doesn't nullify the fact many people do chastise those who leave a small (or especially no) tip, per the thread. If you can't afford to tip, don't dine out.
Get used to disappointment. Nobody is going to care that you are chastising them for failing to spend THEIR money in a way that YOU see fit.

If you believe that the issue is whether or not one can afford to tip, you haven’t been paying attention.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:25 PM

3,982 posts, read 1,055,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Get used to disappointment. Nobody is going to care that you are chastising them for failing to spend THEIR money in a way that YOU see fit.

If you believe that the issue is whether or not one can afford to tip, you haven’t been paying attention.
I give the benefit of the doubt and assume it's because one can't afford it; else, it would take an incredible level of miserliness to simply refuse to do so (even when one has received above average or exemplary service), yet alone take the time to argue about it.

That said, I was speaking to the thread as a whole re: chastising, lol. That's the question OP asked. Too funny.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I give the benefit of the doubt and assume it's because one can't afford it; else, it would take an incredible level of miserliness to simply refuse to do so (even when one has received above average or exemplary service), yet alone take the time to argue about it.

That said, I was speaking to the thread as a whole re: chastising, lol. That's the question OP asked. Too funny.
Nice false dichotomy. Do you generally engage in the use of logical fallacies, or is it limited to when your argument can’t stand on its merits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or