U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 06:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,335 posts, read 58,942,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I’ve dined out for almost 40 years and I can’t remember a time when a tip was 10%
According to this article it was 10% from the 1920's (before my time) until the late 1980's, when it went up to 15%. My restaurant patronage started in the mid 1970s, when dating my wife and increased after that. The average is now 20%, but I would still not give that much unless it was really good service. Emily Post Institute still says 15-20% pre-tax.

https://money.usnews.com/money/perso...-etiquette-101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 11:54 AM

3,891 posts, read 1,027,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Nice false dichotomy. Do you generally engage in the use of logical fallacies, or is it limited to when your argument can’t stand on its merits?
Relax - what's the argument, lol? Tips are usually expected/appreciated (restaurants, bars, hotels, uber, etc.); and so is good service (as evidenced by OP's question and the many responses in the thread). It's common sense; that you don't want to tip (or your reasons) is your business.

I always tip commensurate with the quality of the service; I know there are a lot of hard-working people out there who deserve it (particularly those who do their job well and make my stay/meal/ride/shave and haircut better in the process). Sue me.

Old 03-01-2020, 07:13 PM

3,983 posts, read 4,508,356 times
Has no one here worked in a restaurant? The chef and the server HANDLE your food. Think about that for a moment.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:37 PM

7,822 posts, read 3,410,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Has no one here worked in a restaurant? The chef and the server HANDLE your food. Think about that for a moment.
Are you suggesting that if they aren’t paid off, something bad might happen to your food?

Old 03-05-2020, 12:54 PM

356 posts, read 195,478 times
I know in England , the tax (VAT) and tips are already included in the price.

You just pay 1 price final amount.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:39 PM

3,161 posts, read 4,240,028 times
We always tip, but the service we receive is the judge of how much we do tip.

I will go as low as 5-10% for poor service or no tip but as high as 20-25% for exceptional service.

I do have one heartache or pet peeve now though and that is counter service. More and more table service is disappearing and counter service is becoming the new norm. They ring you up and then swing the iPad around for you to leave a tip. It kind of caught me off guard the first time the situation presented itself to me.

I am ordering thirty dollars worth of food and the drinks are self service, is there a need to tip 15 or 20%?

Old 03-05-2020, 06:05 PM

7,822 posts, read 3,410,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post

I will go as low as 5-10% for poor service or no tip but as high as 20-25% for exceptional service.

I do have one heartache or pet peeve now though and that is counter service. More and more table service is disappearing and counter service is becoming the new norm. They ring you up and then swing the iPad around for you to leave a tip. It kind of caught me off guard the first time the situation presented itself to me.

I am ordering thirty dollars worth of food and the drinks are self service, is there a need to tip 15 or 20%?
Why would you tip anything for poor service?

Old 03-06-2020, 02:27 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,404,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
12% is better than nothing, but I'd consider it somewhat of an insult if I provided good service as the wait staff. 15% is a typical tip for average service. 20%+ for good/excellent service. And I always tip on the total including tax, some nitpick and only tax on the amount prior to tax.

So if my total bill is $100 and they provided above average service, they're getting a $20 tip.
My Mom took me out for my birthday back in February and I noticed that she was going to leave a $5 tip for a $45 ticket. My Mom felt the tip was adequate, but I had to explain to her that not only was it not adequate, but poor tipping when you receive above average service, is how you end up with bad servers. I added on another $5, because the service was definitely above average.

My Mom then decides she wants to eat at this same restaurant again a couple of weeks later. We get a different server this time, server and service remained above average. The server from the first trip stopped by our table and remembered the meals that myself and my Mom ordered two weeks prior.

That experience really opened my Mom's eyes to the importance of tipping more for above average service. Like I told her, that server didn't have to stop by the table or even remember what we ordered, but he did. That's good service and I'm going to tip well for that kind of service.

Old 03-06-2020, 02:32 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,404,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post

I don't tip on self service, unless it's a coffee shop. They still have to make my drink. Say a burger joint, where I pay the moment I order my food, and then bust my own table, I'm typically not leaving a tip. The owner or the checkout person will just come around and wipe the table down.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:47 PM

12,976 posts, read 3,740,375 times
the least I'll leave for a tip is $5. Even if the bill is $4.

if the bill is between $25-$50, I leave $10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or