U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 05:47 PM

1,388 posts, read 3,557,212 times

Advertisements

Good detective work. OP is quite a knob, it would appear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 12:21 AM

2,465 posts, read 906,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I pretty much tip the 20%. I'm always find it interesting how the servers usually rate themselves as deserving of the 20%. I was a waitress so I know it's a hard job. I'm pretty forgiving about a lot of service related things except being ignored or rudeness or telling me about how your previous customer stiffed you or you didn't the tip you wanted. If any of that happens, the tip will be low or non-existent.

Even if I'm not feeling the 20%, I may tip it otherwise because of... peer pressure. Those other people you eat with may be be your boss, coworkers, your child's friend's parent, etc. If you come off as unfairly cheap, it may bite you in the behind later on. Basically, I just chalk eating out as a cost of eating out or doing business.
What exactly is so difficult about a server’s job. I’ve heard servers say that before, but don’t know exactly why?

Old 04-12-2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
what makes the least sense about tipping is basing it on the cost of the meal. Server comes to the table as often serving a hamburger as they do a porterhouse.
Yes, I’ve thought the same thing!! The ones at higher end restaurants tend to be more well-spoken, always cheerful personalities, at least the ones that I’ve encountered. Those positions used to be exclusively racially white. I’m glad that it’s increasingly not that way anymore.

Old 04-12-2020, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
While 30% is high, 15% hasn't been standard in more than a decade. 15% represents mediocre service, while 20% is closer to average.
Why have those percentages changed? It seems that if we base a tip on the total check, then Inflation would accommodate the same historical percentages. In the 80s and before, 10% was normal. I consider 15% to be normal now. I tip better to the places that I normally frequent, where they treat me well.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:48 AM

9,932 posts, read 8,605,030 times
Personally I find having a server usually a PIA. Wait for drunks, wait to order, wait for food, wait for drink refills, or extra condiments and wait for check and the wait for change. Who's the waiter. I'm doing all the waiting.

I like places like Pei Wei. Walk in, order food, pay for food, get your own drink, sit and wait for food eat food and leave. If you want refills, get your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or