U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 07:05 PM

3,962 posts, read 1,045,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
what makes the least sense about tipping is basing it on the cost of the meal. Server comes to the table as often serving a hamburger as they do a porterhouse.
Not really. Most people ordering a hamburger don't need additional service i.e. rolls, soup/salads, etc. They are usually in and out whereas the larger the tab, the more likely it involved alcohol and other food courses which require additional attention/trips to the table.

That said, from a business standpoint, it's the alcohol (not the food) which is going to have a more significant impact on the tab (and 'getting another round' for everyone requires additional service).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 10:14 PM

29,210 posts, read 35,637,587 times
Quote:
what makes the least sense about tipping is basing it on the cost of the meal. Server comes to the table as often serving a hamburger as they do a porterhouse.
Wrong. In a good steakhouse, the waiter will be at your table often. THAT is what the tip is for. SERVICE. Not many folks care much about that sort of thing in a burger joint. No drinks, much less need for service frankly.

A few years back, my family (about 12 people I think) had a Christmas Eve dinner at Ruths Chris. Well, we've have several family dinners there, and they are always very very good, but this one was above the rest. It was, without question, the most fantastic meal experience we have ever had, as a family. Anywhere. And it was completely due to the waiter. I mean, yes the food was excellent (it always is, for us). But he was just amazing. We left him a tip that was, by any standards, extravagant, but we all agreed he deserved it. We told him that he really made our night. I wrote a letter to the manager the next day, letting them know how impressed we were with him.

Old 02-12-2020, 05:23 AM

7,437 posts, read 9,315,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The only expectation of the server should be that they will make at least minimum wage. And they do. If they don't, it is because their employer is breaking the law, and it is not through any fault of the customer. A customer is in no way obligated to meet the server's expectation of a desired compensation level.

Servers "expectations" that they will make (significantly) above minimum wage for a low-skill job are nonsensical, and irrelevant to any discussion other than should an individual choose to be a server.
I don’t consider waiting tables as a low skill job. There are multiple skills involved. Conversation, timing, basic athleticism and balance, memory, behavioral observations. While several people are capable at a minimal level, not many of us in other professions have the necessary skills to do this. Especially patience. To me a low skill job is data entry or some other repetitive task.

The only reason waitstaff hire on for those jobs is that those jobs are easy to find or fit unique schedules, or they enjoy the interactions. But it’s not appropriate to say they are unskilled. Imho

Old 02-12-2020, 05:56 AM

15,484 posts, read 993,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
I can afford McDonald’s, Inn n Out, Panda Express, Wendy, Taco Bell, Yoshinoya, Habit.

These restaurants don’t ask for tips.
Then you do not have to worry about leaving 12 cents or 20 cents with your dollar item. Problem solved.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:08 AM

5,662 posts, read 4,269,113 times
12% is better than nothing, but I'd consider it somewhat of an insult if I provided good service as the wait staff. 15% is a typical tip for average service. 20%+ for good/excellent service. And I always tip on the total including tax, some nitpick and only tax on the amount prior to tax.

So if my total bill is $100 and they provided above average service, they're getting a $20 tip.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:20 AM

16,469 posts, read 5,677,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
12% is better than nothing, but I'd consider it somewhat of an insult if I provided good service as the wait staff. 15% is a typical tip for average service. 20%+ for good/excellent service. And I always tip on the total including tax, some nitpick and only tax on the amount prior to tax.

So if my total bill is $100 and they provided above average service, they're getting a $20 tip.
Good post.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:13 AM

5,133 posts, read 3,421,929 times
Quote:
That's why you tip even more for a cheap meal, not less for an expensive meal. If I stop at Waffle House when traveling, I tip those hard working folks about 60%.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:08 AM

3,005 posts, read 1,589,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
If I Tip 12%, will I get chastised ?
"Chastised"? Probably not. Referred to as a cheapskate behind your back? Probably.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:22 AM

16,469 posts, read 5,677,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
"Chastised"? Probably not. Referred to as a cheapskate behind your back? Probably.
A tip needs to be earned. 12% is fine if the service has been substandard.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:03 AM

900 posts, read 501,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you can't afford to also pay for the service... don't use the service.
This! Your a cheap A$&, stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or