U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2020, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
8,128 posts, read 7,544,157 times
Reputation: 9173

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The only expectation of the server should be that they will make at least minimum wage. And they do. If they don't, it is because their employer is breaking the law, and it is not through any fault of the customer. A customer is in no way obligated to meet the server's expectation of a desired compensation level.

Servers "expectations" that they will make (significantly) above minimum wage for a low-skill job are nonsensical, and irrelevant to any discussion other than should an individual choose to be a server.
That’s your opinion of what they do, not a fact. Tipping less than the societal norm makes you a cheapskate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2020, 02:40 PM
 
13,693 posts, read 16,379,978 times
Reputation: 16688
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
I can afford McDonald’s, Inn n Out, Panda Express, Wendy, Taco Bell, Yoshinoya, Habit.

These restaurants don’t ask for tips.
If you don't want to tip, stick with those restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2020, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Formerly Pleasanton Ca, now in Marietta Ga
7,161 posts, read 4,984,610 times
Reputation: 9835
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wrong. In a good steakhouse, the waiter will be at your table often. THAT is what the tip is for. SERVICE. Not many folks care much about that sort of thing in a burger joint. No drinks, much less need for service frankly.

A few years back, my family (about 12 people I think) had a Christmas Eve dinner at Ruths Chris. Well, we've have several family dinners there, and they are always very very good, but this one was above the rest. It was, without question, the most fantastic meal experience we have ever had, as a family. Anywhere. And it was completely due to the waiter. I mean, yes the food was excellent (it always is, for us). But he was just amazing. We left him a tip that was, by any standards, extravagant, but we all agreed he deserved it. We told him that he really made our night. I wrote a letter to the manager the next day, letting them know how impressed we were with him.
That’s nice you wrote the letter. While a lot of servers are just average, the ones that make your evening with extra effort should be recognized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2020, 07:10 PM
 
22,247 posts, read 29,200,010 times
Reputation: 17751
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Tipping today offsets the fact that servers are paid much less than minimum wage since their type of work is not subject to that regulation. Restaurants typically pay about $3 per hour and the rest is tips. It is very old fashioned and unfair. Customers pay servers directly rather than paying the owner who would pay the employee. So by not paying 20% a person is kind of cheating the system. But if the customer is actually poor, i think the server would accept that and not feel insulted.
That's not true in all states. Many states require restaurants to pay servers at least minimum wage, and tipping hasn't gone away in those states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2020, 07:16 PM
 
22,247 posts, read 29,200,010 times
Reputation: 17751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wrong. In a good steakhouse, the waiter will be at your table often. THAT is what the tip is for. SERVICE. Not many folks care much about that sort of thing in a burger joint. No drinks, much less need for service frankly.

A few years back, my family (about 12 people I think) had a Christmas Eve dinner at Ruths Chris. Well, we've have several family dinners there, and they are always very very good, but this one was above the rest. It was, without question, the most fantastic meal experience we have ever had, as a family. Anywhere. And it was completely due to the waiter. I mean, yes the food was excellent (it always is, for us). But he was just amazing. We left him a tip that was, by any standards, extravagant, but we all agreed he deserved it. We told him that he really made our night. I wrote a letter to the manager the next day, letting them know how impressed we were with him.
Right. I'm always amazed at those who think that working at better restaurants involves the same skill level as working fast food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2020, 08:32 PM
 
7,864 posts, read 3,426,942 times
Reputation: 7094
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I don’t consider waiting tables as a low skill job. There are multiple skills involved. Conversation, timing, basic athleticism and balance, memory, behavioral observations. While several people are capable at a minimal level, not many of us in other professions have the necessary skills to do this. Especially patience. To me a low skill job is data entry or some other repetitive task.

The only reason waitstaff hire on for those jobs is that those jobs are easy to find or fit unique schedules, or they enjoy the interactions. But it’s not appropriate to say they are unskilled. Imho
Not low skilled? What you have identified are basic life skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2020, 08:35 PM
 
7,864 posts, read 3,426,942 times
Reputation: 7094
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
That’s your opinion of what they do, not a fact.
What, specifically, is my opinion and not fact?

Quote:
Tipping less than the societal norm makes you a cheapskate.
Attempting to dictate behavior to others because you get off on virtue signaling makes you an insufferable bore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2020, 08:36 PM
 
7,864 posts, read 3,426,942 times
Reputation: 7094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's not true in all states. Many states require restaurants to pay servers at least minimum wage, and tipping hasn't gone away in those states.
Every state requires it. It’s federal law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2020, 08:59 PM
 
6,658 posts, read 3,052,047 times
Reputation: 18347
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
I can afford McDonald’s, Inn n Out, Panda Express, Wendy, Taco Bell, Yoshinoya, Habit.

These restaurants don’t ask for tips.

Then go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I don’t care if you tip 12%, but why are you posting that here. Do you just want to annoy people.
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2020, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Washington Park, Denver
8,128 posts, read 7,544,157 times
Reputation: 9173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
What, specifically, is my opinion and not fact?



Attempting to dictate behavior to others because you get off on virtue signaling makes you an insufferable bore.
It’s your opinion that serving is low skill.

Nothing is more insufferable than the guy who takes it upon himself to buck society’s norms because he thinks he’s special and doesn’t value the hard work of others. It’s fine to be a cheapskate when it comes to choosing what you will and will not buy for yourself, but choosing to pay people less than our society has deemed normal just because you disagree is, in a word, lame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:25 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top