U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 10:22 PM

3,985 posts, read 1,058,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Nothing is more insufferable than the guy who takes it upon himself to buck society’s norms because he thinks he’s special and doesn’t value the hard work of others. It’s fine to be a cheapskate when it comes to choosing what you will and will not buy for yourself, but choosing to pay people less than our society has deemed normal just because you disagree is, in a word, lame.
Well said - and considers himself intelligent for having 'saved a few bucks' at someone else's expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 10:39 PM

8,152 posts, read 7,571,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Well said - and considers himself intelligent for having 'saved a few bucks' at someone else's expense.
If he makes a habit of under tipping for no good reason, it would be wise not to dine at the same restaurant very often. Servers have long memories for that sort of thing.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:48 PM

3,985 posts, read 1,058,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
If he makes a habit of under tipping for no good reason, it would be wise not to dine at the same restaurant very often. Servers have long memories for that sort of thing.
It would be my guess those who are 'cheap' or try to undercut on a tip generally don't eat out that often anyway; they don't have much appreciation for the experience (or other people).

Old 02-12-2020, 10:54 PM

32,019 posts, read 35,325,714 times
No you won't. But according to this thread you may not want to share your tipping habits with friends. I over tip, under tip, and everything in between. It depends on what I ordered, what was done, how much cash I have on hand if I'm not using a CC, and I never give it another thought. Either should you.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:02 PM

18,460 posts, read 8,710,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's not true in all states. Many states require restaurants to pay servers at least minimum wage, and tipping hasn't gone away in those states.
I looked this up, California pays $12 or $13 minimum tipped wage, Hawaii, where I go frequently is $10. Not $2-$3 like some other states.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:39 AM

1,260 posts, read 675,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
This! Your a cheap A$&, stay home.
The OP never said they couldn't afford it. Just because you're having financial issues or are financially incompetent, don't project on others.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:07 AM

15,519 posts, read 1,030,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Not low skilled? What you have identified are basic life skills.
You are getting OT here but so be it. Enjoy dinner at a restaurant past the "hi I am Joe your waiter" level and enjoy trained service. Yes, you get from a to be with a Honda but the ride may be smoother with a BMW.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:08 AM

5,297 posts, read 2,994,374 times
Also, one needs to take into account the time someone spend at a restaurant. At a Waffle House, the goal is the turn those tables as fast as possible. The checks are less and you're out of there in 30 minutes. At a fine dining restaurant where you are spending big money, a table might turn twice a night. The servers are making the same minimum wage but providing a different level of service.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:03 PM

22,247 posts, read 29,224,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Every state requires it. It’s federal law.
I don't think you understand what I meant. Not every state is a "right to work" state where restaurants can get away with paying severs something like $2 per hour while tips make up the rest. Some states require that the restaurant itself pays at least minimum wage.

Old 02-14-2020, 04:09 PM

63,399 posts, read 60,124,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Depends on whether the service was good, or not.

Good service should get 15% to 20%, or more if you had a really good experience.

Bad service -- tip less and make a point.

Terrible service - bugs in your food, etc -- tip nothing.
LOL, bugs in my food, not only will the server not get a tip, the bill won't be paid. Photos will be taken and posted on every review site there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or