U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 04:13 PM

60,042 posts, read 78,473,318 times

Advertisements

Not on this forum -lots of no tippers here -lots of lip service about income inequality -until its time to pay the waitress
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 08:23 PM

8,120 posts, read 3,538,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I don't think you understand what I meant. Not every state is a "right to work" state where restaurants can get away with paying severs something like $2 per hour while tips make up the rest. Some states require that the restaurant itself pays at least minimum wage.
Oh, I understand it perfectly. And it has nothing to do with “right to work.”

Old 02-15-2020, 09:59 PM

356 posts, read 205,338 times
I will tip 15% at the restaurants but if the customer service is so-so then I will tip 12%

Old 02-19-2020, 08:27 PM

11,446 posts, read 10,465,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
If I Tip 12%, will I get chastised ?

Tipping is not mandatory, but optional. Correct ?
You probably won't get chastised, but if you're trying to make a point about poor service, you should speak up as well.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,148 posts, read 60,192,904 times
Last night we ate out at a local restaurant, and the waitress handed us the hand-held credit/debit card payment device to pay. There was an option to indicate a dollar amount for a tip, but the display had 3 quick click options - the lowest was 18% (which I selected). The others were 25% and 30%. Either of those would require really exceptional service. For me 15% is about the average, if the service is mediocre 10%, and I have (rarely) gone as high as 20%.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:24 PM

925 posts, read 521,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
The OP never said they couldn't afford it. Just because you're having financial issues or are financially incompetent, don't project on others.
Then maybe he shouldn’t be eating out.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:34 PM

3,400 posts, read 4,409,656 times
I consider myself a fairly generous tipper, minimum 20%-25% for good to outstanding service. I do not generally blame poor food or kitchen mistakes on the server, and will tip well in spite of these as long as I feel the server has earned it.

However, if I receive poor service from the server, I make that statement via low or no tip, and I don't care about "ridicule". I get it that the server needs to earn a decent wage, but the money I spend eating out is MY wages, and I refuse to leave a generous tip for poor service, and will not return to the restaurant if that's what I receive. I expect good service when paying for a meal as much as the server deserves to be paid for that good service.

If they receive a poor tip for poor service, let them ridicule me all they want. They get from me exactly what they earn, generous or otherwise. Nobody "deserves" anything anyway, everything one receives in life is to be earned. Ridiculing a customer for a poor or no tip says more about them than it does about me.

DEFINITION OF DESERVE: do something or have or show qualities worthy of reward or punishment.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:07 PM

8,120 posts, read 3,538,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Then maybe he shouldn’t be eating out.
If he paid for his meal, and any associated tax, he has meet 100% of his obligation. There is absolutely no reason to stay home.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:09 PM

62,117 posts, read 4,691,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
If I Tip 12%, will I get chastised ?

Tipping is not mandatory, but optional. Correct ?

It depends on the reason. If you felt service was inadequate, then 12% is Ok. If you are doing it to be a cheapskate, then it is not OK.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:36 PM

4,300 posts, read 1,147,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If he paid for his meal, and any associated tax, he has meet 100% of his obligation. There is absolutely no reason to stay home.
True, though if he's 'cutting corners' by way of stiffing hard-working people (tip) - perhaps the poster isn't far off the mark in stating he should stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or