Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 05:18 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
If I Tip 12%, will I get chastised ?

Tipping is not mandatory, but optional. Correct ?
This sounds like a question from someone who doesn't like to tip and is trying to justify low balling it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 05:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
OP - if you can’t afford to pay the staff for serving you, you can’t afford to eat out.
This is brought up a lot but is generally irrelevant. The OP said nothing about not being able to afford to tip or eat out. People value different things differently. Don't be naive.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:23 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
"The United States of America federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees who receive at least $30 per month in tips. If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any week, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage

I used to work for about $2 an hour 20 years ago, in Texas, delivering food to mostly college kids. For a $5-8 dollar meal, I'd be ok for $1, but would hope for $2. On a typical night, working 8 hours I would earn anywhere from $40 to $80 ($61-$123 in today's money). The main thing that would tick me off was getting stiffed, which happened regularly on a college campus.

I spent most of my money on beer and cd's. I can't imagine trying to support a family earning mainly tips.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:29 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
"The United States of America federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees who receive at least $30 per month in tips. If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any week, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage

I used to work for about $2 an hour 20 years ago, in Texas, delivering food to mostly college kids. For a $5-8 dollar meal, I'd be ok for $1, but would hope for $2. On a typical night, working 8 hours I would earn anywhere from $40 to $80 ($61-$123 in today's money). The main thing that would tick me off was getting stiffed, which happened regularly on a college campus.

I spent most of my money on beer and cd's. I can't imagine trying to support a family earning mainly tips.
Like you said, you earn minimum wage. So when you take a tipped job, you earn at least $58/day with the potential to earn more in an 8 hour day. It's not a lot of money, but it's not too bad for a college student. You should go into a tipped job with that mindset. You'll earn the minimum, (which is $58 for an 8-hour day) but if you do a good job (and have decent customers) you have the potential to earn more.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:51 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
I am certain that a tax PHD knows that employers can pay servers as little as $2.13 per hour if they can show that the tips bring them above minimum wage.

OP - if you can’t afford to pay the staff for serving you, you can’t afford to eat out. Don’t be an ass. These people rely on tips.
My post that you quoted stands as absolutely true. Did you think that you were somehow correcting me, when my statement needs no correcting?

Old 02-11-2020, 09:04 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Depends on whether the service was good, or not.

Good service should get 15% to 20%, or more if you had a really good experience.

Bad service -- tip less and make a point.

Terrible service - bugs in your food, etc -- tip nothing.
I pretty much tip the 20%. I'm always find it interesting how the servers usually rate themselves as deserving of the 20%. I was a waitress so I know it's a hard job. I'm pretty forgiving about a lot of service related things except being ignored or rudeness or telling me about how your previous customer stiffed you or you didn't the tip you wanted. If any of that happens, the tip will be low or non-existent.

Even if I'm not feeling the 20%, I may tip it otherwise because of... peer pressure. Those other people you eat with may be be your boss, coworkers, your child's friend's parent, etc. If you come off as unfairly cheap, it may bite you in the behind later on. Basically, I just chalk eating out as a cost of eating out or doing business.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:17 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
This is brought up a lot but is generally irrelevant. The OP said nothing about not being able to afford to tip or eat out. People value different things differently. Don't be naive.
Ok, then I will restate this: If the OP does not want to pay his servers the culturally accepted norm, then he should not eat out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
My post that you quoted stands as absolutely true. Did you think that you were somehow correcting me, when my statement needs no correcting?
Your statement did not require correction, but it did require clarification. I’m clarifying that while the servers are no doubt making minimum wage as you stated, their employers can pay only $2.13 per hour and the rest comes in the form of tips from diners. Should a diner choose not to tip them when they are providing adequate service, then they are responsible for the server making less money than they expected.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:22 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Quote:
Ok, then I will restate this: If the OP does not want to pay his servers the culturally accepted norm, then he should not eat out.
Interesting to see how people like you want to play big government. Each individual in the United States has the freedom to do whatever they want with their money. You are in no position to tell them what they should and shouldn't do.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:09 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Each individual in the United States has the freedom to do whatever they want with their money.
You are in no position to tell them what they should and shouldn't do.
We aren't. We're just pointing out that some of your choices will leave you open to ridicule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business