Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 09:11 PM

356 posts, read 319,912 times

Advertisements

If I Tip 12%, will I get chastised ?

Tipping is not mandatory, but optional. Correct ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 03:58 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,202 times
In general? Probably not.

If you're eating out with me? Well if I like you enough, I won't chastise you. But I also won't go out to eat with you again. If I don't like you that much, then I will call you out. And I won't eat out with you again.

Keep in mind that if you eat out at the same places all of the time you will become known as the cheap tipper. Your service may reflect that.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:01 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
If I Tip 12%, will I get chastised ?

Tipping is not mandatory, but optional. Correct ?
Depends on whether the service was good, or not.

Good service should get 15% to 20%, or more if you had a really good experience.

Bad service -- tip less and make a point.

Terrible service - bugs in your food, etc -- tip nothing.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:46 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Tipping today offsets the fact that servers are paid much less than minimum wage since their type of work is not subject to that regulation. Restaurants typically pay about $3 per hour and the rest is tips. It is very old fashioned and unfair. Customers pay servers directly rather than paying the owner who would pay the employee. So by not paying 20% a person is kind of cheating the system. But if the customer is actually poor, i think the server would accept that and not feel insulted.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:54 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
If I Tip 12%...?
If you can't afford to also pay for the service... don't use the service.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:18 AM

10,742 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Tipping today offsets the fact that servers are paid much less than minimum wage since their type of work is not subject to that regulation. Restaurants typically pay about $3 per hour and the rest is tips. It is very old fashioned and unfair. Customers pay servers directly rather than paying the owner who would pay the employee. So by not paying 20% a person is kind of cheating the system. But if the customer is actually poor, i think the server would accept that and not feel insulted.
That type of work is absolutely subject to the minimum wage.

No server in the US makes less than minimum wage unless their employer is violating the law. And this is the case regardless of the amount given in tips.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:47 PM

1,462 posts, read 973,293 times
The server might give some grief. Tipping is optional, but for a restaurant it is customary in the US to tip.
But as mentioned, if the service is crap, I probably won't tip even 12%. At that point I couldn't care less if I was chastised by the staff as I would not be going back to the place.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:53 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
In the United States, servers are subject to minimum wage regulations. No one gets just $3/hr. They get at least the minimum wage (which is $7.25/hr at the federal level, but higher in many states). The tips allow them to get more than that.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:54 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
The OP will never return.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:17 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That type of work is absolutely subject to the minimum wage.

No server in the US makes less than minimum wage unless their employer is violating the law. And this is the case regardless of the amount given in tips.
I am certain that a tax PHD knows that employers can pay servers as little as $2.13 per hour if they can show that the tips bring them above minimum wage.

Quote:
The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires payment of at least the Federal minimum wage to covered, nonexempt employees. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equals at least the Federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips. If an employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 an hour do not equal the Federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.
OP - if you can’t afford to pay the staff for serving you, you can’t afford to eat out. Don’t be an ass. These people rely on tips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business