Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 04:06 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Last night we ate out at a local restaurant, and the waitress handed us the hand-held credit/debit card payment device to pay. There was an option to indicate a dollar amount for a tip, but the display had 3 quick click options - the lowest was 18% (which I selected). The others were 25% and 30%. Either of those would require really exceptional service. For me 15% is about the average, if the service is mediocre 10%, and I have (rarely) gone as high as 20%.

While 30% is high, 15% hasn't been standard in more than a decade. 15% represents mediocre service, while 20% is closer to average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 07:27 PM

997 posts, read 849,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If he paid for his meal, and any associated tax, he has meet 100% of his obligation. There is absolutely no reason to stay home.
And you shouldn’t be eating out either (if that’s how you behave).

Old 02-25-2020, 08:33 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
And you shouldn’t be eating out either (if that’s how you behave).
No one is obligated to tip.

That you believe you have the right to dictate to others how they should behave is hilarious. A tip is 100% voluntary.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:40 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
No one is obligated to tip.

That you believe you have the right to dictate to others how they should behave is hilarious. A tip is 100% voluntary.
Actually, not always; you'll find a 15% tip is often automatically added to the bill.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Actually, not always; you'll find a 15% tip is often automatically added to the bill.
Automatic tips, generally included for large parties, must be disclosed.

A restaurant can’t simply add an automatic tip (if not disclosed) and compel a customer to pay it.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:58 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Quote:

I tried out an Asian restaurant near me last year. Apparently, they decided had customers that were simply not tipping so they made it where it wasn't optional and they wrote it into the menu. In cases where a gratuity is automatically added to the bill, I don't add any more to the tip to bring it up to 20%. I find it presumptuous to assume they were getting a tip because maybe their service really isn't that good.

I tip 20%, but I'm not convinced that is the going rate everywhere. I know some people would like it to be. I've heard from some waiters that it's more like 15%.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Automatic tips, generally included for large parties, must be disclosed.

A restaurant can’t simply add an automatic tip (if not disclosed) and compel a customer to pay it.
It's not exclusive to large parties; you'll find it in better establishments as a preventative measure to protect waitstaff against your way of thinking (and it's disclosed on the menu); the point is a tip is not always voluntary.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I tried out an Asian restaurant near me last year. Apparently, they decided had customers that were simply not tipping so they made it where it wasn't optional and they wrote it into the menu. In cases where a gratuity is automatically added to the bill, I don't add any more to the tip to bring it up to 20%. I find it presumptuous to assume they were getting a tip because maybe their service really isn't that good.

I tip 20%, but I'm not convinced that is the going rate everywhere. I know some people would like it to be. I've heard from some waiters that it's more like 15%.
I'll add more if the service was excellent and/or it contributed to the evening in a positive way. If it was satisfactory, I'll leave it at 15% as well.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
It's not exclusive to large parties; you'll find it in better establishments as a preventative measure to protect waitstaff against your way of thinking (and it's disclosed on the menu); the point is a tip is not always voluntary.
If it is compulsory, it isn’t a tip. It’s a service charge, regardless of what they call it.

Tips ARE voluntary.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
If it is compulsory, it isn’t a tip. It’s a service charge, regardless of what they call it.

Tips ARE voluntary.
Actually, it specifically states it is on the menu (where applicable) i.e. 'A fifteen percent gratuity will be added to your bill', lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business