U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 11:47 AM

3,509 posts, read 1,945,302 times

Advertisements

Was riding around with my son, pointing out those blue amazon vans. All those jobs ! Created to keep un employment low. For $15 per hour, no real Benny's. Not even a uniform.

So , ups,fedex,dhl,upsp all pay at least double ,get a uniform,benefits,union? And now they loosing business by some underhanded "we will do our own deliveries" attitude.

I wonders what will happen when the lower paid realize just how much they getting exploited....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 12:06 PM

451 posts, read 310,884 times
Those amazon delivery people look like they're forced into the job so they can keep their government freebies; whereas ups, fedex, usps employees look like they want to come to work. Just my observation.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:05 PM

16,523 posts, read 10,660,016 times
The Amazon labeled trucks are owned by Amazon, those people are paid a salary not min wage. The white unmarked vans that are dropping Amazon packages, they are required to take a pic and scan the drop. Those people are not Amazon workers, they are 3rd party contractors. They can be underpaid since many are former Amazon workers, Amazon is trying to outsource the shipping to these contractors and they can easily exploit people.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:32 PM

516 posts, read 143,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The Amazon labeled trucks are owned by Amazon, those people are paid a salary not min wage. The white unmarked vans that are dropping Amazon packages, they are required to take a pic and scan the drop. Those people are not Amazon workers, they are 3rd party contractors. They can be underpaid since many are former Amazon workers, Amazon is trying to outsource the shipping to these contractors and they can easily exploit people.

I once saw a guy delivering Amazon packages from the back seat of a beat up Toyota. When I first passed by his car I noticed the packages and thought it was some skell stealing packages. I watched the car for a while and then saw the guy making deliveries! Glad I didn't call 911....

Old 02-22-2020, 03:59 PM

3,227 posts, read 1,075,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
I once saw a guy delivering Amazon packages from the back seat of a beat up Toyota. When I first passed by his car I noticed the packages and thought it was some skell stealing packages. I watched the car for a while and then saw the guy making deliveries! Glad I didn't call 911....
DO NOT call 911 for suspected package theft especially in broad daylight. Those situations can be ambiguous and 9 out of 10 times you will be wrong tying up police resources and potentially getting innocent delivery drivers shot and killed.

Rather you should record then fill out a complaint at your local precinct if this is happening multiple times and you have a HIGH reason to believe that he is fraudulent.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:27 PM

688 posts, read 135,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The Amazon labeled vans ARE NOT OWNED BY AMAZON. They are owned by independent contractors. A contractor owns at minimum 5 trucks and is responsible for hiring, paying and firing drivers.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:31 PM

3,509 posts, read 1,945,302 times
Them blue truck guys do get paid $15 per hour,might as well be minimum wage. No uniform, some wear a jacket. Doubt they get benefits.

So let amazon kill the sears of this country, and now let's kill the delivery services too!

Would have thiugh a union would have stopped this from happening. A big giant rat needs to be hung somewhere?.

And amazon wants to buy whole foods too.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:58 PM

20,948 posts, read 23,389,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Them blue truck guys do get paid $15 per hour,might as well be minimum wage. No uniform, some wear a jacket. Doubt they get benefits.

So let amazon kill the sears of this country, and now let's kill the delivery services too!

Would have thiugh a union would have stopped this from happening. A big giant rat needs to be hung somewhere?.

And amazon wants to buy whole foods too.
Unless Amazon is going to start delivering my package with my item to a address I send to, all they are doing is delivering their own product ordered through their website

Old 02-22-2020, 10:24 PM

3,948 posts, read 1,043,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
The Amazon labeled vans ARE NOT OWNED BY AMAZON. They are owned by independent contractors. A contractor owns at minimum 5 trucks and is responsible for hiring, paying and firing drivers.
Amazon bought a fleet of about 20,000 Mercedes Sprinter vans in 2018. Amazon DOES own the vans in re: the 'Delivery Service Partners' program, as you describe - approved enterpreneurs lease, fuel and receive insurance (at a reduced rate) and essentially operate their own delivery service in 'partnership' with Amazon.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:50 AM

7,909 posts, read 4,381,879 times
When will the legacy companies retaliate?

Well FedEx Express no longer flies Amazon parcels or do local deliveries for fast deliveries all over the US. And the USPS stopped delivering Amazon Fresh grocery bags with their one hour delivery time window which made them a super express piece in handling cost for the post office but it had no staff or infrastructure for zero dark thirty Amazon grocery only deliveries. But the USPS still holds onto Amazon only Sunday deliveries. Besides that the other companies still try to get a share of the Amazon business. The USPS wanting smaller stuff without the time pressure, UPS and FedEx Ground trying for stuff over the USPS weight limits.

However with Amazon demands for refunds when the legacy carrier is overburdened with work and can't complete the assigned task in by 8 PM the local supervisors of the legacy carriers fearing the next line of management in a we might get caught cheating the report but will be caught being late, falsify reports about the reason you didn't get your stuff so the company would get paid. And that unreliability, along with Amazon's ability to surge payments in their Uber like workforce to get more people on the street just for today Amazon retaliated by setting up their own service which takes more of the load. Until they run out of people and truck space also and go running back to USPS, UPS et al.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business