U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 07:21 AM

3,636 posts, read 1,489,525 times

Advertisements

I worked in property-casualty insurance for 38 years before I retired in mid-2014. One of the priorities of Risk Managers, both in my own company and others, was creating a "Business Continuity Plan". While a plan might not address specific catastrophes, it would include plans for how the company would carry on business if, for example, the building were to become uninhabitable or the supply chain were disrupted.

What I'm seeing over and over are companies that were dependent on China for everything (surgical masks, for example) and companies scrambling to find ways for their office workers to work from home. A friend works at a call center for Medicare beneficiaries who have questions. He's not employed by Medicare but by a company that contracts with Medicare. It's all phone work but it does require access to a massive database of answers that he can use, and of course there are HIPAA regulations with which they must comply.

They just announced that he will be one of 8 people in the office who will be trained to work from home. Training starts 4/20. I just looked up the company- their annual revenue is $2.4 billion and they have over 30,000 employees.

Why weren't they prepared for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 07:24 AM

2,604 posts, read 991,581 times
Is the company you mentioned publicly traded? That might explain it.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:47 AM

3,636 posts, read 1,489,525 times
Yes, they are- but why would that explain it?

Old 04-09-2020, 10:11 AM

2,604 posts, read 991,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yes, they are- but why would that explain it?
Public companies seem focused on eliminating all “non-essential” expenses, anything that doesn’t help their EPS and share price. Every extra penny and then some was used to repurchase shares and keep quarterly numbers in the happy place. I can see a division VP getting ripped a new one for suggesting overhead spending to update some dusty continuity program that the CEO has never bothered to read.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:05 PM

7 posts, read 1,355 times
I think working in a support service and on the phone is very difficult from home. For such employees, the company must launch online support. It can be digital documents, company rules, etc. After all, working from home is not like in an office. In the office, we can find someone who will help us answer one or the other questions.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:55 AM

17 posts, read 8,880 times
For me, too, it is strange why a company with such a turnover does not automate business processes and does not implement the software in the work. In the described situation, support can come to the aid of employees with the help https://www.useresponse.com/help-des...eting-software software. This allows you to support employees with requests from any channel to handle in one inbox. Such software can become a reference center. This is especially appreciated in the context of remote work.

Old 04-13-2020, 07:11 AM

3,662 posts, read 3,582,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I worked in property-casualty insurance for 38 years before I retired in mid-2014. One of the priorities of Risk Managers, both in my own company and others, was creating a "Business Continuity Plan". While a plan might not address specific catastrophes, it would include plans for how the company would carry on business if, for example, the building were to become uninhabitable or the supply chain were disrupted.

What I'm seeing over and over are companies that were dependent on China for everything (surgical masks, for example) and companies scrambling to find ways for their office workers to work from home. A friend works at a call center for Medicare beneficiaries who have questions. He's not employed by Medicare but by a company that contracts with Medicare. It's all phone work but it does require access to a massive database of answers that he can use, and of course there are HIPAA regulations with which they must comply.

They just announced that he will be one of 8 people in the office who will be trained to work from home. Training starts 4/20. I just looked up the company- their annual revenue is $2.4 billion and they have over 30,000 employees.

Why weren't they prepared for this?
Call center employees working from home without being in a managed environment is a sticky situation. It's probably been deemed too risky for them to work from home in other circumstances and that's probably why they didn't have a BCP.

This pandemic is causing companies to have to do things they normally wouldn't do for the safety of their employees. They've probably been re-assessing the risk involved and they have to put controls in place before they allow them to WFH.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:37 PM

6,896 posts, read 3,111,732 times
Well, but even many companies with business continuity coverage are finding out that their policies excluded pandemics. I bet that'll be a real sticking point on any upcoming negotiations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or