Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 02:32 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,467,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
How would they know what's in the packages?

This isn't like Amazon where they actually control what is packaged and loaded on the trucks.

Are you serious? The carrier always needs to know what's in the package (basic description such as electronics, medical supplies) for claims purposes.

On the freight side (shipping full pallets in the business to business sector) the bill of lading tells us exactly what's on the pallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 05:06 AM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
According to my local Postmaster, there should always be a minimum of 5 tracking notification updates for every tracked package going out of state.
1. The receiving post office should always be listed once it's handled by them.
2. For longer distance packages, there should always be a distribution/sort center update listed as it's automatic and not at the discretion of a person, packages comes in, goes through an automated scanner tracking system and should be updated.
3. At the end destination it's probably also handled by a large distribution/sort center and the same goes as far as it being an automated process.
4. At the delivery post office it should always be scanned into the system.
5. Upon delivery it should be updated with the delivery info.

She said those are the absolute minimums you should see (skip 2 & 3 if local) regardless of what's going on as they are automated systems. She agreed you may miss a receiving post office scan but you shouldn't be missing automated systems unless the label itself got damaged. Now, these are the ways for priority and express and may differ slightly for all other packages (tracked or not).
It does not matter what "should" be done; and anyone within or outside postal service can quote chapter and verse. What counts is actually what happens on the ground, and myself and others are here to tell you items are not always being scanned.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2020/...ing-practices/

https://bklyner.com/since-decembers-...ries-continue/

Old 04-16-2020, 08:34 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
According to my local Postmaster, there should always be a minimum of 5 tracking notification updates for every tracked package going out of state.
1. The receiving post office should always be listed once it's handled by them.
2. For longer distance packages, there should always be a distribution/sort center update listed as it's automatic and not at the discretion of a person, packages comes in, goes through an automated scanner tracking system and should be updated.
3. At the end destination it's probably also handled by a large distribution/sort center and the same goes as far as it being an automated process.
4. At the delivery post office it should always be scanned into the system.
5. Upon delivery it should be updated with the delivery info.

She said those are the absolute minimums you should see (skip 2 & 3 if local) regardless of what's going on as they are automated systems. She agreed you may miss a receiving post office scan but you shouldn't be missing automated systems unless the label itself got damaged. Now, these are the ways for priority and express and may differ slightly for all other packages (tracked or not).
Since items can originate anywhere, over the retail counter, dropped of at a station loading dock for those with open docks or picked up by a carrier it is only for the last two scans that the service is actually able to assign blame for missing the scan. The scan into the carrier/delivery station and the carrier at the delivery point

Old 04-16-2020, 08:49 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
Are you serious? The carrier always needs to know what's in the package (basic description such as electronics, medical supplies) for claims purposes.

On the freight side (shipping full pallets in the business to business sector) the bill of lading tells us exactly what's on the pallet.
Yes I'm serious. We're talking about the post office, not pallets of freight.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:56 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Guess I'm just the lucky one. Checked all the tracking on all my USPS packages since Monday and they all show acceptance at PO, departing PO, arrival at Regional Distribution Center, departure from that center, some show arrival and departure at the center near the destination although some only show the departure with no arrival, but they do show the arrival at the delivery PO and delivery. All got scanned in and made it through the scanned hands of the regional operation. And they were all delivered or are on track for delivery as originally stated. But, maybe I'm just the lucky one.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:32 AM

I just did a random check on several of the Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express packages we shipped earlier this week. All had between 9-10 scans and were delivered between 1-2 days.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I think they're all behind. We just ordered some stuff on Amazon. Even with paid shipping, its several weeks before delivery.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:50 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I think they're all behind. We just ordered some stuff on Amazon. Even with paid shipping, its several weeks before delivery.
Amazon like many other online retailers is becoming nearly worthless. Between so much being out of stock (and they don't know when it will return), and or taking several days just to pick, package and ship an order you might not get things for two, three weeks or longer.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:20 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,216,787 times
Starting Monday I had to say bye to my friend the big blue mailbox At least for a while.

I started taking all my orders inside to get scanned after paying for them and printing out the labels and stuff online. I figure I pretty much have to now so I don’t get as many customers messaging me who don’t understand that a pandemic just might slow things down a little.

Trust me my local USPS is annoyed by me enough as it is. Now every few days one of the workers gets to be the lucky one to scan 30 or so packages I bring in.

I’m trying just to go 2-3 times a week to cut down on risk. I was hoping I could just use the mailbox until things calm down a little. Anyway business is actually booming for me. Highest it’s been in about 6 months.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Starting Monday I had to say bye to my friend the big blue mailbox At least for a while.

I started taking all my orders inside to get scanned after paying for them and printing out the labels and stuff online.
Maybe you go to my post office. They're horrible. I have put things in the mailbox outside and the package slots inside. They won't scan those and many times they won't ship them the same day, even express, even when dropped off early in the day. So, I've learned the only two ways to get my packages moving is to have our mail carrier pick them up (she has to scan them) or go inside the PO and have them scan them. That's our last resort because it's a time suck.

We can't arrange official carrier pick up online because the usps system says our store address doesn't exist. Gotta love it. So we have a good relationship with our mail carrier and she picks up when we put up a sign for her that we have items.

But really, we are seeing normal delivery times, no slow downs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business