U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 07:57 AM

8,189 posts, read 4,517,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
How would they know what's in the packages?

This isn't like Amazon where they actually control what is packaged and loaded on the trucks.
Since the post riot and 4th of July period my station is now down almost a third of carrier routes not going out on a daily basis and no clerks are available due to quarantines.

So on many days all that is being delivered is machinable mail, DPS in postal language and higher priority parcels. Many routes are only receiving parcels if they are lucky. Letter carriers are throwing parcels for the missing clerks instead of preparing the non machinable mail for their routes. Orders came down to throw, actually run under a "PASS" machine which takes a picture and tells which route to distribute the piece to and generates the tracking information only Priority mail, Amazon branded pieces and what feels and sounds like prescription medication which many pharmacies use First Class mail for.

Even if staff was available there is still the backlog of every piece needing to run under the PASS machine to generate the tracking information everybody demands in the computer era. So one person triage's the incoming parcels and pieces not under the three higher priority classes are delayed to when we can get to it.

If I was to mail something to day I would place Amazon logos all over the piece and hope that deception fools the postal worker to move that piece rather than place it in the lower priority bin.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 08:55 AM

1,032 posts, read 749,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Since the post riot and 4th of July period my station is now down almost a third of carrier routes not going out on a daily basis and no clerks are available due to quarantines.

So on many days all that is being delivered is machinable mail, DPS in postal language and higher priority parcels. Many routes are only receiving parcels if they are lucky. Letter carriers are throwing parcels for the missing clerks instead of preparing the non machinable mail for their routes. Orders came down to throw, actually run under a "PASS" machine which takes a picture and tells which route to distribute the piece to and generates the tracking information only Priority mail, Amazon branded pieces and what feels and sounds like prescription medication which many pharmacies use First Class mail for.

Even if staff was available there is still the backlog of every piece needing to run under the PASS machine to generate the tracking information everybody demands in the computer era. So one person triage's the incoming parcels and pieces not under the three higher priority classes are delayed to when we can get to it.

If I was to mail something to day I would place Amazon logos all over the piece and hope that deception fools the postal worker to move that piece rather than place it in the lower priority bin.
As an online seller it is a no win situation. Putting Amazon labels on things makes the buyer assume it’s retail arbitrage or drop shipping and feel ripped off. However if you go the other route and ship them normally then they take forever and the buyer complains about that.

But I’m staying open and dealing with it. It’s just a lot more complaints and handholding. It’s amazing how some people just don’t comprehend the situation. In addition to selling I’m also a buyer and it’s taken nearly a month for some things to get to me that are supposed to take a week. I haven’t complained once.

The only positive I can draw from this is that at least the majority of my customers aren’t complaining. So I can view that optimistically and deduct that most people are reasonable. As opposed to viewing this realistically which is that a lot of people either don’t care enough to check up on this stuff or don’t want to put in the effort to complain
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business