U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 10:39 AM

3,632 posts, read 1,487,361 times

Advertisements

It's not just the proliferation of boxes- it's the waste of paper on oversized boxes. I'm sure they get a break on shipping by using a limited number of box sizes that stack easily (4 smaller fit into the same space as one larger, e.g.). Typically, though, it means that a small item gets shipped in a box that would hold 5 or 10 of the item.

I just ordered an item for in-store pickup at Costco. I vastly prefer that- will pick it up on one of my regular trips there, and no additional packaging needed beyond the manufacturer's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 10:40 AM

1,449 posts, read 423,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I don't see the fascination with Amazon. It's mostly an outlet for lots of Chinese crap. I also tried Amazon prime and the video and music service is mediocre at best. I never use either anymore and although the next day delivery is nice, I don't see the value at $120 per year so I cancelled.
Do you mean the free Prime music or the Amazon Music service? I've used both and Amazon Music is just as good as Spotify.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:49 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,644,311 times
Amazon is a lot more of a lives than most people know, their revenue from cloud services is more than Microsoft and Google combined.

If you watch Netflix, use Facebook, read Twitter, look to BBC for news, etc. you're using Amazon's pipes.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:59 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,230,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Amazon is a lot more of a lives than most people know, their revenue from cloud services is more than Microsoft and Google combined.

If you watch Netflix, use Facebook, read Twitter, look to BBC for news, etc. you're using Amazon's pipes.
And their cloud service would be a lot more if they would have gotten the DOD contract.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:57 AM

3,632 posts, read 1,487,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

No need to add even more to their bottom line, then!

Old 04-26-2020, 12:00 PM

20,898 posts, read 15,192,613 times
Amazon has done a great job at ease of use. 2-3 clicks and whatever random crap I’m looking for will be out front as early as same day but usually within a day or two. I ordered 80 times last year and 24 times this year from Amazon so I’m pretty consistent with it. I use the prime music daily and prime video at least 2-3 times a week more so during quarantine. I personally feel like I get my 120.00 worth out of the prime membership

Old 04-27-2020, 08:12 AM

12,976 posts, read 3,737,209 times
My Amazon page says 110+ items delivered in last 6 months.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:01 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,326,658 times
I've been surprised at Amazon's good PR over the years. They've managed to quite successfully avoid becoming the "big bad" like Wal-Mart was in the 90s-00s. Even though it seems like Amazon's just as if not more exploitative toward its workers than Wal-Mart. Ie: Wal-Mart (I worked for WM for 4 years) never had the workplace darwinism culture that Amazon has where they cull their bottom 10% performers. I was amazed Amazon was able to basically come out smelling like roses from that.

I mean, compared to Amazon, Wal-Mart almost looks like the good guy and I'm kind of rooting for them as the last man standing against Amazon domination.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:28 AM

1,273 posts, read 761,756 times
The bottom line why so many people use and like Amazon, regardless of its faults: price and convenience.

Despite what some may claim, these two factors drive most consumers’ spending habits - not some nebulous, self-professed moral, ethically, environmental, or political concerns. Jeff can do business with Hitler and he’d still get massive customers for all of his businesses.

It’s scary the amount of power and influence concentrated in just one man - socially, economically, and politically - through all of his business arms, including ‘news’ media outlets such as the Washington Post. Jeff Bezos is poised to take over the world. Bwahaha...

* As Austin Power's Dr. Evil sticks pinky to mouth. (Slight physical resemblance too)

Old 05-05-2020, 07:44 AM

2,514 posts, read 1,836,286 times
I would love to have Amazon alternative for small business and local stores. Maybe a website that searches the local area & gives us the result. Because no one wants to run around in multiple stores & no one wants to run around to multiple sites either. We are just that lazy. I am trying to avoid amazon as much as possible but it is so convenient

I hate how Amazon ships multiple box well all online retailer ship 1 item per box. Wish they would allow us the option to put everything in one box even if it means delay but i realize items come from different warehouse too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or