Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 02:20 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Maybe you do. Glad you've got everything under control amd don't ever have to work overtime.
I didn’t say I never work overtime but it’s not common. It also wouldn’t be common to think “trying to help” fix performance actually works for everyone. It doesn’t and plenty of people are employed for a paycheck and not to get better or have career advancement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 06:58 AM

146 posts, read 114,234 times
Prior to the pandemic I did buy some harder to find things on Amazon but I still preferred to do the bulk of my shopping at brick and mortar stores. The pandemic changed that for me probably permanently.

I needed a new pair of work boots. Right as I was about to buy a pair, the State of Vermont (where I do most of my shopping) announced that only "essentials" would be sold in stores like WalMart, etc. Other "non essential" stores including shoe stores would have to close. No boots for me.

My job is 50 minutes away from home. There's an army navy store close to where I work. I really wanted to stop in and buy some boots from them plus browse around. They announced that their store hours would be reduced to 10am-5pm. My shift at work is usually 630pm-630am. Very inconvenient for me.

So I bought my boots off Amazon. They'll be delivered right to my door. No running around town 15 different places and no playing games with store hours that are different than what's posted on their website.

Amazon is simply the most convenient.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:38 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,042,545 times
I find Amazon convenient for oddball items that would have to be special ordered anyway. And I have used it for gift shopping around Christmas when I was not up for venturing out to a mall. All in all I use Amazon very little. I don't buy a lot of electronic gadgets. I do occasionally buy photo equipment, which I order online from B&H.

On a macro scale the Amazon model seems incredibly wasteful. I see the vans stopping at our neighbors nearly every day, and sometimes multiple times a day. And then there are the mountains of boxes buldging out the top of their garbage cans every week.

And then on top of that, whenever I can I prefer to patronize companies who treat their employees well.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:36 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
One thing about Amazon is that you can order odd things. The big box stores have driven the Mom and Pop stores out of business and the big box stores only carry items that sell fast. None of the local stores carry the dog bones that I want for my dogs and that leaves ordering them online. Amazon sells them.

Most of that less common stuff might be available at many websites, but Amazon has proven itself to be reliable. I hate to send my credit card information off to an unknown place, and some of those smaller websites put you on their spam list.

Mostly it is that Amazon is so convenient and efficient. Sometimes they are less expensive, many times they are not. But their prices are at least reasonable and it saves me from driving around store to store and searching. Also, I can research and compare several different brands and styles easily since I am online anyway.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:47 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,851,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I didn’t say I never work overtime but it’s not common. It also wouldn’t be common to think “trying to help” fix performance actually works for everyone. It doesn’t and plenty of people are employed for a paycheck and not to get better or have career advancement
Performance improvement is more relative to the organization and/or teams (as opposed to the individual or 'what works for everyone'); that said, I agree with the bolded.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:18 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,851,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Why Amazon is taking over
I'd say it's vision, invention, competitiveness, and putting the consumer first, much of what can be attributed to Bezos (and/or the top-notch people he has chosen to lead), whether the discussion is e-commerce, e-books, streaming, cloud computing, digital technology, partnering programs, shipping, and so on.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:41 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,234,951 times
amazon is great for a lot of stuff but it's not as cheap as people think. it USED to be cheaper than other places for most things. they also used to give you a week to price match (it might have been even longer?) and get a refund on the difference but those days are over. they definitely are super convernient.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:35 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,320,354 times
Have any of you ever talked with your "local yokel" retailers?

A music store owner gave me an example of what it is like to be competing with Amazon and other online dealers. She carries quite a bit of sheet music in the store for the various musicians and teachers in the area. Thus, she has a lot of money tied up in inventory.

People come in and browse through her sheet music. And then they stand there and search Amazon to see that they can get the same music for 10% less. But in her store they can leaf through the music books and determine if they really want to order it from Amazon.

Local musicians come in and browse through her guitar inventory. They sit in the climate controlled room and strum away for hours. And then they go home and order that guitar from Amazon or some other online music dealer. She ends up with a slightly used set of guitars that she has to try to sell as brand new.

Church musical directors come and ask her to donate to their church's latest mission trip. And then those musical directors go home and order their guitar strings and sheet music from an online dealer.

This lady probably makes more money giving music lessons than she does with retail sales. But now, even music lessons are moving online.

So go ahead and tell me again how the local yokel retailers have bad attitudes.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:40 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,357,065 times
Even now, with less bargain pricing than when it first started and the inclusion of internet commerce taxes, Amazon continues to grow because it strikes the perfect balance between price and convenience.

Don’t underestimate the combo of those two in driving consumer behavior. I never thought grocery delivery service would succeed but it looks like I may be wrong. Who would trust a stranger to select the best quality, freshest produce or cut of meat? And I actually enjoy grocery shopping. But apparently enough folks think otherwise that it appears there may be a viable market for this service - at least for now. Let’s see how well it does post-pandemic.

Amazon’s not the cheapest, but it’s cheap enough to win out when combined with its convenience, especially in this day and age of instant gratification, I-want-my-stuff-delivered-yesterday culture. Who wants to wait 2-4 weeks for delivery when the can have it next day guaranteed, if not same day delivery?

In addition it provides a measure of consumer confidence in offering legitimate products when there are so many shady or fake e-businesses out there.

As for its environmental, ethical or moral impact? ...Hopefully Jeff will rule wisely and mercifully.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:51 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Have any of you ever talked with your "local yokel" retailers?

A music store owner gave me an example of what it is like to be competing with Amazon and other online dealers. She carries quite a bit of sheet music in the store for the various musicians and teachers in the area. Thus, she has a lot of money tied up in inventory.

People come in and browse through her sheet music. And then they stand there and search Amazon to see that they can get the same music for 10% less. But in her store they can leaf through the music books and determine if they really want to order it from Amazon.

Local musicians come in and browse through her guitar inventory. They sit in the climate controlled room and strum away for hours. And then they go home and order that guitar from Amazon or some other online music dealer. She ends up with a slightly used set of guitars that she has to try to sell as brand new.

Church musical directors come and ask her to donate to their church's latest mission trip. And then those musical directors go home and order their guitar strings and sheet music from an online dealer.

This lady probably makes more money giving music lessons than she does with retail sales. But now, even music lessons are moving online.

So go ahead and tell me again how the local yokel retailers have bad attitudes.

Adapt or die. The world doesn't guarantee that what worked for you yesterday will work for you tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business