Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 08:03 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I would love to have Amazon alternative for small business and local stores. Maybe a website that searches the local area & gives us the result. Because no one wants to run around in multiple stores & no one wants to run around to multiple sites either. We are just that lazy. I am trying to avoid amazon as much as possible but it is so convenient

I hate how Amazon ships multiple box well all online retailer ship 1 item per box. Wish they would allow us the option to put everything in one box even if it means delay but i realize items come from different warehouse too

I get multiple items in a box often. There is often a checkout option to ship each item as soon as possible or consolidate into one shipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 12:16 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I've been surprised at Amazon's good PR over the years. They've managed to quite successfully avoid becoming the "big bad" like Wal-Mart was in the 90s-00s. Even though it seems like Amazon's just as if not more exploitative toward its workers than Wal-Mart. Ie: Wal-Mart (I worked for WM for 4 years) never had the workplace darwinism culture that Amazon has where they cull their bottom 10% performers. I was amazed Amazon was able to basically come out smelling like roses from that.

I mean, compared to Amazon, Wal-Mart almost looks like the good guy and I'm kind of rooting for them as the last man standing against Amazon domination.

What’s wrong with culling your bottom 10% of performers every year?

Old 05-05-2020, 03:29 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
What’s wrong with culling your bottom 10% of performers every year?

I imagine it makes for a very stressful work environment and invites employees to try and screw each other if they approach that 10% threshold.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I imagine it makes for a very stressful work environment and invites employees to try and screw each other if they approach that 10% threshold.
Not culling can lead to lower morale as consistent underperforming people become long tenured employees. Culling the bottom 10% also helps establish min performance standards and enforces them.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:55 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Amazon beat out retailers because of their logistics. They can deliver goods in all 50 states with a consistency that no retailer can match. It's not about the prices but because their catalog is so vast. You can always find cheaper alternatives. The #2 reason is customer service, is something is wrong you can return it with no hassles. I have scheduled delivery of frequently used products so I never have to reorder or go to a store with long checkout just to save a few dimes.

Ever walk into Walmart and look at the long lines and why o why would people waste an hour standing on line just to save a few penny or a buck? Not to mention have to deal with brain dead shoppers.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Not culling can lead to lower morale as consistent underperforming people become long tenured employees. Culling the bottom 10% also helps establish min performance standards and enforces them.
I suppose if you want to look at it that way, rather than, oh, trying to help them perform better.

It also creates a kind of arms race at the top levels that will burn people out. Can't expect people to work 80 hour weeks for long. I've been in workplaces where the managers create a hostile competitive environment & set the "standard" at the over-achievers level. There are always at least 1 or 2 people that have no family & for whom work is their obsession. I used to be one of them. If you set the standard at their level of productivity, it just stresses everyone out. Then everyone thinks they need to one-up each other in a never-ending feedback loop and just work more and more and more. It increases turnover, creates pent-up anxiety that explodes into workers screaming at the managers, people crying/breaking down at work, etc...

One time it was scary enough that I thought this one guy might do a shooting.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:07 PM

5,157 posts, read 3,083,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I would love to have Amazon alternative for small business and local stores. Maybe a website that searches the local area & gives us the result. Because no one wants to run around in multiple stores & no one wants to run around to multiple sites either. We are just that lazy. I am trying to avoid amazon as much as possible but it is so convenient

I hate how Amazon ships multiple box well all online retailer ship 1 item per box. Wish they would allow us the option to put everything in one box even if it means delay but i realize items come from different warehouse too
I owned a business 15 years ago in the small town of Grand Junction, CO. Our go-to supplier back then was McMaster-Carr because they gave us next-day delivery from their Chicago warehouse at UPS ground shipping rates and they were no-hassle, 100% customer focused. I actually felt guilty at one point and tried to buy things locally, but the bad attitudes and poor service from many of the local merchants and suppliers kept me going back to McMaster.

Amazon has done the same thing only expanded to consumer goods, they offer no-hassle customer service service to the point that it often isn’t worth bothering with the local yokels.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:11 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I owned a business 15 years ago in the small town of Grand Junction, CO. Our go-to supplier back then was McMaster-Carr because they gave us next-day delivery from their Chicago warehouse at UPS ground shipping rates and they were no-hassle, 100% customer focused. I actually felt guilty at one point and tried to buy things locally, but the bad attitudes and poor service from many of the local merchants and suppliers kept me going back to McMaster.

Amazon has done the same thing only expanded to consumer goods, they offer no-hassle customer service service to the point that it often isn’t worth bothering with the local yokels.

Yes this is all true. It's just a better experience altogether with Amazon. I shop Walmart too because hell, I want more than one choice but they just can't match the efficiency and ease of Amazon.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I suppose if you want to look at it that way, rather than, oh, trying to help them perform better.
I’m not sure how long I’m your life you’ve spent managing people but “trying to help them perform better” isn’t the fix for your entire workforce, hell not even the majority

Quote:
It also creates a kind of arms race at the top levels that will burn people out. Can't expect people to work 80 hour weeks for long. I've been in workplaces where the managers create a hostile competitive environment & set the "standard" at the over-achievers level. There are always at least 1 or 2 people that have no family & for whom work is their obsession. I used to be one of them. If you set the standard at their level of productivity, it just stresses everyone out. Then everyone thinks they need to one-up each other in a never-ending feedback loop and just work more and more and more. It increases turnover, creates pent-up anxiety that explodes into workers screaming at the managers, people crying/breaking down at work, etc...

One time it was scary enough that I thought this one guy might do a shooting.
Most of the folks I work with don’t work more than 45 hours a week and by most I’m taking in the 80%+ range. Maybe you have a narrow scope

Old 05-07-2020, 01:07 AM

Quote:
I’m not sure how long I’m your life you’ve spent managing people but “trying to help them perform better” isn’t the fix for your entire workforce, hell not even the majority

Most of the folks I work with don’t work more than 45 hours a week and by most I’m taking in the 80%+ range. Maybe you have a narrow scope
Maybe you do. Glad you've got everything under control amd don't ever have to work overtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business