U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2020, 09:15 AM
 
Location: PVB
3,883 posts, read 2,096,447 times
Reputation: 4469

Advertisements

I do not know where I would be without Amazon. I have gotten so many useful things and saved hundreds of hours running around looking. Amazon is brilliant. For example. My first TV streaming stick was a Roku which I liked. When I needed another I got an Amazon Firestick because it was much cheaper. When I need another, Amazon was cheaper. When I needed a 4k Amazon was much cheaper, when I needed another Amazon was less than 1/2 of a comparable Roku. My latest 4K Amazon stick was not working properly, I scoured the web for answers and was unsuccessful. I finally decide to return it and to do so you needed to chat with a tech, who resolved the problem in minutes.

They see what people are buying and make a "Amazon" version of it. Batteries, cables, food you name it they have it.

Amazon Prime programming is awesome, plus all the old TV shows.

I also get necessary things I just can't find here.

I try to shop locally whenever possible, but with Covid19 this is much safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2020, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Sweet Home Chicago!
5,637 posts, read 4,248,062 times
Reputation: 6970
I don't see the fascination with Amazon. It's mostly an outlet for lots of Chinese crap. I also tried Amazon prime and the video and music service is mediocre at best. I never use either anymore and although the next day delivery is nice, I don't see the value at $120 per year so I cancelled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2020, 09:26 AM
 
2,515 posts, read 1,231,236 times
Reputation: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I don't see the fascination with Amazon. It's mostly an outlet for lots of Chinese crap. I also tried Amazon prime and the video and music service is mediocre at best. I never use either anymore and although the next day delivery is nice, I don't see the value at $120 per year so I cancelled.
Which items, which are not Chinese crap, that you needed were you not able to get on Amazon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2020, 09:31 AM
 
14,156 posts, read 5,836,197 times
Reputation: 16958
I wouldn't say Amazon is the cheapest but they provide a price typically lower than most retail stores without having to hunt it down. In other words, you can make it your "one stop shop" without getting reamed. The biggest advantage is their reliability and speed of delivery. I won't put up with "ships in 2-4 weeks" nonsense (some exceptions must be made in this exceptional period). I might be able to find the TV I want a little cheaper on some CheapTvs website but I don't know them, know when it will ship, or how hard it will be to return. Not worth the risk.



More and more people will be buying online. It was trending that way already but the trend line will steepen now. Amazon bought Whole Foods at the right time as grocery delivery will grow much faster now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2020, 09:32 AM
 
14,156 posts, read 5,836,197 times
Reputation: 16958
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Which items, which are not Chinese crap, that you needed were you not able to get on Amazon?

That was an obvious cheap shot without basis. The same items are at all the alternatives including retail stores. Shopping at Amazon doesn't change WHAT you buy just HOW you buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2020, 09:34 AM
 
2,515 posts, read 1,231,236 times
Reputation: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That was an obvious cheap shot without basis. The same items are at all the alternatives including retail stores. Shopping at Amazon doesn't change WHAT you buy just HOW you buy it.
I know it was a cheap shot by flamadiddle. However, when I see something like that I like to question them. If they respond, they may actually feel that way. If not, then they were just trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2020, 09:43 AM
 
3,636 posts, read 1,489,525 times
Reputation: 9494
I try to avoid them and order through the individual businesses as much as possible. I've avoided buying Prime because I don't want to feel "linked" to Amazon when I need something I can't find elsewhere and I'm happy with Netflix video offerings.

I know I cannot personally keep Amazon from squeezing out everyone else and taking over the world but I'm doing my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2020, 09:51 AM
 
3,561 posts, read 2,254,246 times
Reputation: 8026
Sometimes amazon is cheaper, sometimes it’s not. Items that stick out to me I’ve bought is shaving cream super cheap in bulk and like furnace filters.

It’s also convenient it comes to your house but it’s super inconvenient that we have so many boxes from online shipping.

I’m not loyal to any retailer or Amazon. I go where ever I get value. And usually when you go away from one or the other, you start getting hit with coupons and other things to get you back. I consistently play that game or chase my credit card rewards.

Also, amazon prime was worth it to me just for the series man in the high castle. I waited years to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2020, 10:04 AM
 
5,104 posts, read 2,200,130 times
Reputation: 3033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post

It’s also convenient it comes to your house but it’s super inconvenient that we have so many boxes from online shipping.
I agree with this. Many times the boxes are still in pristine condition after opening them. Like they can be used to ship several more orders. But of course they always get broken down and tossed in our recycle bin. Seems like a waste. I always wondered if there could be a service where amazon takes takes the boxes back instead of having consumers send them off for recycling? I think the major question would be is that sanitary? Once something is in someones house you never know what they may have done to it. This problem will only get worst as more and more orders are placed on-line.

To me it makes sense to have many of these items delivered to community drop off sites. Each small housing tract could have large lockers that store packages. I mean is really that much of an inconvenience to have to walk or take a short drive a couple blocks to pick up packages rather than have them delivered straight to your door? Many communities already have something similar for mail delivery. Exceptions could be made for special requests, handicap/elderly, extremely large and heavy items.

I'm starting to see lockers now at Homedepot. I believe they are even outside the store so you can order some things from home or work and pick them up after hours if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2020, 10:07 AM
 
2,515 posts, read 1,231,236 times
Reputation: 3279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I agree with this. Many times the boxes are still in pristine condition after opening them. Like they can be used to ship several more orders. But of course they always get broken down and tossed in our recycle bin. Seems like a waste. I always wondered if there could be a service where amazon takes takes the boxes back instead of having consumers send them off for recycling? I think the major question would be is that sanitary? Once something is in someones house you never know what they may have done to it. This problem will only get worst as more and more orders are placed on-line.

To me it makes sense to have many of these items delivered to community drop off sites. Each small housing tract could have large lockers that store packages. I mean is really that much of an inconvenience to have to walk or take a short drive a couple blocks to pick up packages rather than have them delivered straight to your door? Many communities already have something similar for mail delivery. Exceptions could be made for special requests, handicap/elderly, extremely large and heavy items.

I'm starting to see lockers now at Homedepot. I believe they are even outside the store so you can order some things from home or work and pick them up after hours if needed.
I agree the locker idea is a good idea, Amazon actually already has them and you can pick up items there, in boxes. The problem with boxes still exists. How do the items get from the warehouse to the locker? Not in boxes? If they did that then you wouldn't need the lockers as they could just take the items without boxes straight to the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top