U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 05:35 PM

289 posts, read 79,113 times

Advertisements

There would be no great mansions or art galleries...just old men wearing the same clothes until they fall apart and eating at McDonald's so they never have to spend any of they money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 06:41 PM

992 posts, read 716,659 times
Those Egg McMuffin farts would really reek havoc on the environment I’d imagine.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
Those Egg McMuffin farts would really reek havoc on the environment I’d imagine.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:38 AM

596 posts, read 200,936 times
who cares about mansions.
and buffett is donating basically all of his money so i don't know what you're talking about.

he's way more generous than most billionaires with his money.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:08 PM

11,796 posts, read 13,676,321 times
I admire a guy that keeps his life simple, too many people get hung up on their possessions and lose hours of time trying to stay on top on them.

Those crazy mansions usually cost more to keep than they cost to build! Who needs a house the size of a super Walmart?

Evander Holyfield built a 54K sq ft one. It cost him over a million a year to run it and the bank foreclosed and sold it for 6mm to a rapper. Rapper has no where near the cash that Holyfield had and after 5-6 years he will have spent more on the house maintaining it than buying it!

Vanderbilt mansion Biltmore, Hearst Castle, Deering's Vizcaya, Pellat's Casa Loma in Toronto.......all being crazy wealthy guys eventually they couldn't keep up with the costs of the house (or the heirs didn't want to).

This one sold last year:
https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/is...head-lake-deal

Listed for 78mm, foreclosed on and last asking price was 13.995mm. 18K sq ft on 22 acres on an island in the middle of a lake in Montana. Possibly the dumbest build you could ever imagine.

Old 06-02-2020, 04:50 PM

3,898 posts, read 1,029,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I admire a guy that keeps his life simple, too many people get hung up on their possessions and lose hours of time trying to stay on top on them.

Those crazy mansions usually cost more to keep than they cost to build! Who needs a house the size of a super Walmart?
Very few people have a house the 'size of Walmart' (and I agree with you). It's usually the value of the land and/or one-of-a-kind views which will escalate the price of real estate quickly.

Old 06-05-2020, 02:57 PM

11,796 posts, read 13,676,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Very few people have a house the 'size of Walmart' (and I agree with you). It's usually the value of the land and/or one-of-a-kind views which will escalate the price of real estate quickly.
I only mentioned Walmart sized homes since the thread was about "super rich" which I took to mean billionaire.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:41 PM

3,898 posts, read 1,029,629 times
Quote:
I only mentioned Walmart sized homes since the thread was about "super rich" which I took to mean billionaire.
Right - and my point being, size of a home is not the primary factor determining the cost of real estate i.e. acreage (and where), custom features (or not), one-of-a-kind views, access to trails/water all will play a more significant part in determining the cost of property than a home's size in and of itself.

Example - compare a 10,000 square foot home (architecturally boring) on five flat acres in Oklahoma (middle of nowhere) vs. a 3,500 square foot hillside home in Marin County with panoramic views to SF (or a 2000 square foot penthouse in SF, for that matter). Size doesn't matter; most millionaires/billionaires would pass on the 'mansion' in Oklahoma, hands down - and own several homes (in better locations) instead.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:24 AM

992 posts, read 716,659 times
Quote:

Evander Holyfield built a 54K sq ft one. It cost him over a million a year to run it and the bank foreclosed and sold it for 6mm to a rapper. Rapper has no where near the cash that Holyfield had and after 5-6 years he will have spent more on the house maintaining it than buying it!

Vanderbilt mansion Biltmore, Hearst Castle, Deering's Vizcaya, Pellat's Casa Loma in Toronto.......all being crazy wealthy guys eventually they couldn't keep up with the costs of the house (or the heirs didn't want to).

This one sold last year:
https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/is...head-lake-deal

Listed for 78mm, foreclosed on and last asking price was 13.995mm. 18K sq ft on 22 acres on an island in the middle of a lake in Montana. Possibly the dumbest build you could ever imagine.

Really the only way to make some of these places feasible as any other than money pits is to turn them into theme parks.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:51 AM

The way he's obsessed with buying and selling stocks, with no purpose -- it's kind of autistic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business