U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 08:32 PM

956 posts, read 1,078,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Profit? Stay busy and cover the bills.
Most small businesses are about buying someone a job.
The OP mentioned making lots of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 09:40 PM

8,414 posts, read 7,541,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I know of a local company that makes a lot of money mowing grass. The workers tell me that no one wants to cut their grass, do the weedeating, and trim the bushes. Are we lazy? I don't mind mowing my yard. I'm thinking about working part-time just for the heck of it?

There are a lot of landscaping businesses in our area. All of them seem to be doing a lot of business...
A lot of there bottom line success is they hire cheap illegal labor many of the times. But there are those that do the work themselves like the guy my father used for the house I grew up in. But he dont seem too wealthy. The ones that hire out the work can do more volume.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:26 AM

1,347 posts, read 777,757 times
Quote:
I know of a local company that makes a lot of money mowing grass. The workers tell me that no one wants to cut their grass, do the weedeating, and trim the bushes. Are we lazy? I don't mind mowing my yard. I'm thinking about working part-time just for the heck of it?

There are a lot of landscaping businesses in our area. All of them seem to be doing a lot of business...
Lazy, busy, physically unable to...those are all valid reasons.

In my area of the Gulf South, those reasons are compounded by the long unbearably hot and humid summers which can stretch over 5 months. Add in biting insects all day, all year long, and that can turn even the most enthusiastic yard-working homeowners towards outsourcing their yard work to affordable landscaping outfits.

And because these outfits are so affordable (hmm, wonder why) many folks can have extensive, elaborate landscaping that all but requires these businesses to maintain them.

The days of simple yards dotted with a few shrubs and potted flowers, mowed by the family themselves or outsourced to the neighborhood kids, appear to have disappeared for most in this area. But there are a few that still do their own - or at least some of it; I trim my own shrubs and hedges, and maintain my landscaped bedding, but otherwise outsource the mowing and leaf removal.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:40 AM

30,283 posts, read 66,867,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
The OP mentioned making lots of money.
a) I think he mentioned the appearance of and some hearsay about LOTS of money.
b) How much is 'a lot' to a grass cutter?

When I was cutting grass in the early 70's some teen friends thought it was a lot too.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:03 AM

I’d mow my own yard if the mower wasn’t so unruly, noisy and scary. Visions of it cutting off my feet along with the grass...

(Can someone please make noiseless lawn care equipment?)

Old 05-16-2020, 08:20 AM

30,283 posts, read 66,867,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
(Can someone please make noiseless lawn care equipment?)
They've been making it for about 50 years.
The modern battery sort work well for small lots (~1/4ac and less).

Old 05-16-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
They've been making it for about 50 years.
The modern battery sort work well for small lots (~1/4ac and less).
Lawnmowers? Heh, maybe this is the year I go full on with doing my own yard work then. Once summer is over.

It’d be wonderful if ALL lawn care equipment was noiseless.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:54 AM

6,742 posts, read 4,134,509 times
My Dad will be 74 in August and lives in Pennsylvania and his only hobby and exercise is doing lawn work and his garden, if he didn't do that, he would probably wither away!

Old 05-16-2020, 09:02 AM

9,339 posts, read 8,144,050 times
Quote:

There are a lot of common areas with condos, HOAs, municipalities, business parks, office condos, etc. where someone outside has to be brought in.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:41 AM

19,295 posts, read 14,844,402 times
I mow my lawn because I need it for the physical activity. It's a more vigorous exercise than just walking for 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business