U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 12:39 PM

10,900 posts, read 4,923,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
I never got where the profit in this business came from. I've been quoted $80 a month for my yard. They cut once a week most of the year.

So they make $20 for each service. Two guys usually cut my neighbor's yard. I'd say 20 minutes a yard for both people. At $15 an hour the cost of labor to service a lawn is $10. If you can do 3 yards an hour the owner is making $30/hr before expenses. Obviously you cant do 3 lawns an hour all day with travel times. For the owner the income is passive but seems hardly worth it unless you had 5 to 6 crews.
They probably do more than grass mowing. I may only see him for mowing, but my lawn guy also does shrub control/pruning, tree trimming, installs landscape materials (fabric and soil), does weed control, fertilizing, irrigation, seeding, ornamental planting, etc for private and commercial properties. He grows annuals in his own greenhouse and incorporates them into client landscaping. In winter he plows driveways and spreads sand. Rates differ depending on what the work is and whether he hires help.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-16-2020 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 10:11 AM

2,514 posts, read 920,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I know of a local company that makes a lot of money mowing grass. The workers tell me that no one wants to cut their grass, do the weedeating, and trim the bushes. Are we lazy? I don't mind mowing my yard. I'm thinking about working part-time just for the heck of it?

There are a lot of landscaping businesses in our area. All of them seem to be doing a lot of business...
Yes. Americans are very lazy and look down on manual labor. Some homeowners can justify that they can be more productive by making more income than paying the help. This laziness mentality started in the 80s.
The landscapers also save on labor costs by hiring illegals.

The price has also come down considerably! When I was a young teen in the late 70s, They paid me $10 to mow and a whopping $15 for a large yard, in late 70s money.

Last edited by Hopeful for Life; 05-17-2020 at 10:27 AM..

Old 05-17-2020, 12:38 PM

1,127 posts, read 843,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
Yes. Americans are very lazy and look down on manual labor. Some homeowners can justify that they can be more productive by making more income than paying the help. This laziness mentality started in the 80s.
The landscapers also save on labor costs by hiring illegals.

The price has also come down considerably! When I was a young teen in the late 70s, They paid me $10 to mow and a whopping $15 for a large yard, in late 70s money.
Sorry, I disagree. Americans aren't lazy. However, they do like to keep up with the Jones. If I made enough money, I too would have landscapers do my yard. As it is, I have a son. He does it for me. He gets $35 a lawn around here. Takes about an hour to do them as the are close to half acre lots. I'd say that's good cash. But yea, many people keep up with the Jones'. They see one neighbor getting service then they need it too. Plus the price is right. My son making $35 a lawn is a steal in these parts.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:58 PM

5,131 posts, read 3,420,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In our neighborhood the lots are at least 12,000 sf so a lot of mowing and trimming. Probably 1/20 has a service do the work, most of us do our own. I use a riding mower so it's actually fun, but I also have a chipper/shredder, tiller, chainsaw, pressure washer, and electric hedge trimmer and edger. I find doing most yard work to be enjoyable.
We have a large yard too and have everything you have except the riding mower, my husband pushes the self propelled mower. I have a garden, tons of bushes to trim, we use the chipper because we have so many trees and my favorite power tool of all is the pressure washer. I can do that for hours on a beautiful day.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:53 PM

12,283 posts, read 9,727,092 times
Quote:
I know of a local company that makes a lot of money mowing grass. The workers tell me that no one wants to cut their grass, do the weedeating, and trim the bushes. Are we lazy? I don't mind mowing my yard. I'm thinking about working part-time just for the heck of it?

There are a lot of landscaping businesses in our area. All of them seem to be doing a lot of business...
Do you eat out ever? Do you use cleaning services? Do you take your car to a mechanic? Do you cut your own hair?

Old 05-18-2020, 02:52 AM

1,025 posts, read 748,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Do you eat out ever? Do you use cleaning services? Do you take your car to a mechanic? Do you cut your own hair?
This is the age we are living in, when a service is available, by all means use it. I can remember years ago the days before lawn service. I remember a time when maintenance departments were responsible for mowing the grass at the local plant; now they outsource the work.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:22 AM

1,349 posts, read 777,757 times
Perhaps it’s more regional and cultural.

Unless things have changed in the last decade or so, the majority of people in our old neighborhood in upstate NY (solid middle to upper-middle class) mowed and maintained their own yards (including us), as did almost everyone in my similar suburb in the Twin Cities, MN in the late 80s. My health-conscious neighbor in upstate NY did it as exercise when her husband told her how many calories it burns. About half of the folks in my retirement-heavy northern Nevada community mowed and maintained their own lawns.

I’ve since revisited all three areas since moving away, and noticed some folks still doing their own lawns. The presence of landscaping outfits is not ubiquitous as here in Texas.

Even if I wanted to hire teenagers in my area to do it, the ones I know only want to hire out as pet/baby sitters, tutors, mail retrievers. But, given the long, brutal growing season here, I can understand why (as well as too many competing cheap landscaping outfits).

Old 05-18-2020, 10:35 AM

78 posts, read 27,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
Lawnmowers? Heh, maybe this is the year I go full on with doing my own yard work then. Once summer is over.

It’d be wonderful if ALL lawn care equipment was noiseless.
Disagree, I love hearing the drone of the mowers with the windows open on a nice day. I usually get a great nap when the neighbor is cutting, it puts me to sleep, sorta like a fan.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:37 AM

78 posts, read 27,441 times
Quote:

These companies still pay for fuel, taxes, insurance for business and workers.

I think you’re underestimating how hard a days worth of cutting and landscaping is. I would give the average person a week and they’d want to quit.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:24 AM

30 posts, read 41,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
I never got where the profit in this business came from. I've been quoted $80 a month for my yard. They cut once a week most of the year.

So they make $20 for each service. Two guys usually cut my neighbor's yard. I'd say 20 minutes a yard for both people. At $15 an hour the cost of labor to service a lawn is $10. If you can do 3 yards an hour the owner is making $30/hr before expenses. Obviously you cant do 3 lawns an hour all day with travel times. For the owner the income is passive but seems hardly worth it unless you had 5 to 6 crews.
Successful landscaping businesses dont do mowing for $20 per service. That would be an individual or a small company that is barely getting by. Not bragging but my company has mowed millions of dollars of grass over the years. There is good money in it, if you have the right help and charge appropriately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business