Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 10:38 AM

9,522 posts, read 4,407,360 times

Advertisements

I think maintaining the tools of trade bothers just as many ie working on a gas engine mower, trimmer etc. Rechargable equipment must be charged as a cord must be dragged around. I don't think it's about getting sweaty or dirty but those pesky little details called equipment maintenance and/or proper use. I curse everytime I forget to fill the gas can because it's not something delt with every day. As long as I am physically capable I will do it. One reason is the landscapers edge trimmers would destroy sidewalk and house concrete/mortar in many areas. I know to be careful they just know they want to be done as fast as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 11:25 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,836,279 times
It depends on the region. Texas has landscape companies all over. Lots of people hire their lawn maintenance dine. But its very hot. Lots of homeowners are elderly also and so it makes sense. Now we retired in the north and there are very few of these types of companies. But summers are cooler. It makes a difference.

Old 09-12-2020, 05:12 PM

1,348 posts, read 695,153 times
succesful because of laziness

Old 09-12-2020, 06:05 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,317,506 times
Im almost 73, use to play golf but spouse has an impaired immune system so I stopped the golf where I was gone for six hours. I decided to start mowing my own year and trimming and edging etc. I enjoy it. Its hot here but with battery powered equipment I can start when the sun comes up, its not too bad then even in the middle of August.

My mower is not self propelled so I get some exercise pushing it around. 30 minutes to own it and ah hour plus to edge and trim it. Enjoy doing it and being outside and exercising while being near home for my wife.

Old 09-12-2020, 06:21 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,296,137 times
We hire a company to apply fertilizer, insecticide, tree food and spray the property for mosquitos. What's interesting about this is that it doesn't cost any more then if I applied all this myself. Now everything else we do ourselves.

My wife does all the mowing on our 2 acres with a 52" ZTR mower. What's strange is I can't get my wife off the mower, she likes doing it so I let her. All the gardening is me and my wife.

Old 09-15-2020, 11:49 AM

20,863 posts, read 19,328,298 times
The people that complain about yard work are probably the same ones that pay for gym membership.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:04 AM

37,417 posts, read 45,602,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The people that complain about yard work are probably the same ones that pay for gym membership.
Seriously??

I mow my own lawn, but in a few years, I'll certainly hire someone. I do pay a service to do monthly weed/feed and annual seeding. I did that myself for many years, and after having to burn vacation time to take care of my yard, I decided it was no longer worth it to me. I am a very busy person. I work full time, take care of my home, have had to look out for my two elderly parents the last 5 years (sadly they both passed this summer) my SO lives an hour from me. I go to the gym at night - not when I could be doing yardwork.

One has NOTHING to do with the other.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 09-16-2020 at 08:34 AM..

Old 09-16-2020, 08:19 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,155,710 times
I own my house, am completely capable to do the yard work, but I choose to have a guy do the mowing and edging. I do all the bush and tree trimming, flower planting, fertilizing, and such. I've spent a lot of hours walking behind a mower and would rather do other things. Mowing and edging is like washing dishes to me, highly repetitive and uncreative. The other aspects of landscaping and gardening are what I enjoy.

When I retire I fully expect to go back to doing it all myself.

In the mean time that's a couple more small gas engines I don't have to fool with (my yard is just big enough to be questionable for the battery powered mower; five years from now or whenever I take the mowing back over I'm going to be looking into it though)

Old 09-22-2020, 06:28 PM

166 posts, read 90,382 times
I landscape as my side business to my actual job. My minimum charge for a lawn is $35 and that’s a small yard - maybe 5000 sqft or less. I average 70-150 / hour. I also offer other services which pay really well. I trimmed a few shrubs earlier in the week and made $300 for 2 hours of work. My only over head was my sweat.

It can be lucrative, but it can get insanely hard when things break down or the weather delays things.

I would agree that people are lazy.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:52 AM

8,843 posts, read 5,878,334 times
My son and his brothers ran a professional lawn care business whilst in high school. They all made enough money to pay for their college educations without any help from Bank of Mom and Dad.

High School kids today are too busy with enhancing their college applications with lots of clubs and other activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business