U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 08:47 AM

1,024 posts, read 747,683 times

Advertisements

I know of a local company that makes a lot of money mowing grass. The workers tell me that no one wants to cut their grass, do the weedeating, and trim the bushes. Are we lazy? I don't mind mowing my yard. I'm thinking about working part-time just for the heck of it?

There are a lot of landscaping businesses in our area. All of them seem to be doing a lot of business...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 09:32 AM

1,126 posts, read 842,362 times
Welp..... you just discovered the secret to business!!! Offer a service that others won't do. A few years ago, mostly just for fun to see where it goes I ran an ad on craigslist for "basic lawn cutting". Meaning, I wasn't going to charge a whole lot, and I know there are plenty of people who just want the lawn cut, nothing else.
The beauty of that is when the customer asks for something else you can charge accordingly (fertilizer, seeding, weeding, etc)
I charged by the size of the job. Some yards here are 50'x100, and some a few acres. The small ones were where the money was. You can finish them fast. Soooooo, yes. You can make some play money out there.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:39 AM

8,823 posts, read 5,099,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I know of a local company that makes a lot of money mowing grass. The workers tell me that no one wants to cut their grass, do the weedeating, and trim the bushes. Are we lazy?
When I owned a house, I hired a lawn service because I work long and unpredictable hours, and simply didn't have the TIME to regularly mow my yard. Other people (the elderly, those with serious health issues) may not have the ability. And some just prefer to spend the time it takes to mow their lawn doing something they find more personally rewarding. As long as the lawn gets mowed, what does it matter who does it? Mow it yourself and save money, or hire someone to do it and provide them with a job. Either is good!

Old 05-15-2020, 11:31 AM

658 posts, read 218,249 times
i don't have a house but if i did i'd pay someone to mow my lawn
One of the points of having money once your needs are met to be able to pay someone to do something you need done but don't enjoy doing or aren't good at doing.
this is the same reason I always drop my laundry off.

Life is too short as it is and I'm not going to waste time doing chores I hate if I can avoid it.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:45 AM

1,382 posts, read 334,865 times
There are many people that are unable to do their own yard work because of physical limitations. But most people don't cut their yards because they're just lazy.

I have a zero turn commercial mower, and I can cut a big yard in 1/2 hour. And it's great fun.

My buddy is a very successful "landscaper." He just gets the jobs lined up, and he hires aliens to run his equipment. He doesn't do the work personally. That's how to be in the business.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:24 PM

10,874 posts, read 4,923,836 times
Quote:
I know of a local company that makes a lot of money mowing grass. The workers tell me that no one wants to cut their grass, do the weedeating, and trim the bushes. Are we lazy? I don't mind mowing my yard. I'm thinking about working part-time just for the heck of it?

There are a lot of landscaping businesses in our area. All of them seem to be doing a lot of business...
I pay a neighborhood landscaper to mow my lawn. It isn't an easy lawn due to slope, composition, and shape. I detest fussing with, listening to, feeding, and maintaining gas-powered tools/equipment. Let a professional deal with all that. I do all the other yard-related chores myself using non-power tools. It isn't a matter of laziness at all. It is a compromise, a deliberate choice. I choose to spend my limited outdoor time on other things and he appreciates the business.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-15-2020 at 01:31 PM..

Old 05-15-2020, 12:36 PM

30,281 posts, read 66,867,036 times
Quote:
The workers tell me that no one wants to cut their grass, do the weedeating, and trim the bushes
The worst part of the situation is that NONE of people doing the mowing are neighborhood kids.

I've been here nine years now and have NEVER had any one of them ask me for some work.
It seems that the Helicopter Moms, since 1990ish?, don't want junior working at anything physical.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:46 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,422 posts, read 59,087,209 times
In our neighborhood the lots are at least 12,000 sf so a lot of mowing and trimming. Probably 1/20 has a service do the work, most of us do our own. I use a riding mower so it's actually fun, but I also have a chipper/shredder, tiller, chainsaw, pressure washer, and electric hedge trimmer and edger. I find doing most yard work to be enjoyable.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:56 PM

956 posts, read 1,078,396 times
I never got where the profit in this business came from. I've been quoted $80 a month for my yard. They cut once a week most of the year.

So they make $20 for each service. Two guys usually cut my neighbor's yard. I'd say 20 minutes a yard for both people. At $15 an hour the cost of labor to service a lawn is $10. If you can do 3 yards an hour the owner is making $30/hr before expenses. Obviously you cant do 3 lawns an hour all day with travel times. For the owner the income is passive but seems hardly worth it unless you had 5 to 6 crews.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:56 PM

30,281 posts, read 66,867,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
I never got where the profit in this business came from.
Profit? Stay busy and cover the bills.
Most small businesses are about buying someone a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business