U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 07:32 PM

19,499 posts, read 14,933,534 times

Advertisements

Musk wants a plant in the middle of the USA. Up to 10,000 jobs. Tulsa and Oklahoma needs them more than Austin and Texas.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...y-end-of-2020/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 10:33 AM

2,562 posts, read 945,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Musk wants a plant in the middle of the USA. Up to 10,000 jobs. Tulsa and Oklahoma needs them more than Austin and Texas.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...y-end-of-2020/
Tulsa doesn’t have a chance, unfortunately. Californinicators have a love affair with Austin that has never waned. They have singlehandedly ruined our fair sleepy college town. I doubt that he can persuade highly skilled engineers to move to redneck Tulsa when the beautiful (affordable to them) SF East is available. I am just wondering where COA has acreage for it.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:26 AM

4,005 posts, read 1,072,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
Tulsa doesn’t have a chance, unfortunately. Californinicators have a love affair with Austin that has never waned. They have singlehandedly ruined our fair sleepy college town. I doubt that he can persuade highly skilled engineers to move to redneck Tulsa when the beautiful (affordable to them) SF East is available. I am just wondering where COA has acreage for it.
Austin is anything but a 'sleepy' college town, considering the size of UT and the fact it's the capital of the second-largest State in the US, lol. It's been a destination for migrating talent (from the entire country) due to the University for decades (though appreciate you accrediting tech talent in Austin exclusively to CA migration : )

Old 05-17-2020, 12:32 PM

2,562 posts, read 945,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Austin is anything but a 'sleepy' college town, considering the size of UT and the fact it's the capital of the second-largest State in the US, lol. It's been a destination for migrating talent (from the entire country) due to the University for decades (though appreciate you accrediting tech talent in Austin exclusively to CA migration : )
I am waxing about the Austin that I knew in the 80s. I really had no idea that Austin would be synonymous with crack cocaine to the California locusts. . Back then, we only had Motorola and Symantech. The rest of the economy was state govt and UT.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Austin has been considered before by Tesla but wasn't selected.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I don't know if it matters to Tesla, but Tulsa, unlike Austin, has an inland water port for barge access to the Mississippi River. Maybe highly skilled California skilled engineers won't want to come to Austin and attempt to tolerate the highly blazing hot summer weather.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I am waxing about the Austin that I knew in the 80s. I really had no idea that Austin would be synonymous with crack cocaine to the California locusts. . Back then, we only had Motorola and Symantech. The rest of the economy was state govt and UT.
Dell was founded in the 80's (and Austin had a population of nearly half-million people by the 80's) as well as the fact it was the state capital then, too. ; ) There were other tech firms at the time; point being - it was not a sleepy small town then, either.

Did you mean the 1880's, lol? Even then it had the 7th largest building in the world at the time.

That said, I absolutely agree re: your favoring Austin over Tulsa for the new Tesla plant.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 05-17-2020 at 02:44 PM..

Old 05-17-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Austin has been considered before by Tesla but wasn't selected.
Actually, Austin and Tulsa are finalists currently being considered to build Tesla's cybertruck gigafactory. A centrally-located base has made sense (and been in the plan) for awhile.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:07 PM

1,610 posts, read 425,329 times
Austin should have talent, but living there also requires workers to make substantial salaries.

Tulsa is a much smaller city, however it is a little off the beaten path.

Automobile production requires a bunch of suppliers in the vicinity in order for all the parts to come together at the same time. You know, like the auto suppliers in Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama.

There's a reason the Deep South has so many auto and truck assembly plants. That's where Tesla would do better building a plant.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:28 PM

15,224 posts, read 14,676,960 times
It would probably be a game changer for Tulsa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or