U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-15-2020, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
19,386 posts, read 14,878,861 times
Reputation: 5929

Advertisements

Musk wants a plant in the middle of the USA. Up to 10,000 jobs. Tulsa and Oklahoma needs them more than Austin and Texas.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...y-end-of-2020/
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2020, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Houston
2,527 posts, read 928,947 times
Reputation: 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Musk wants a plant in the middle of the USA. Up to 10,000 jobs. Tulsa and Oklahoma needs them more than Austin and Texas.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...y-end-of-2020/
Tulsa doesn’t have a chance, unfortunately. Californinicators have a love affair with Austin that has never waned. They have singlehandedly ruined our fair sleepy college town. I doubt that he can persuade highly skilled engineers to move to redneck Tulsa when the beautiful (affordable to them) SF East is available. I am just wondering where COA has acreage for it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2020, 11:26 AM
 
Location: San Francisco
3,982 posts, read 1,055,345 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
Tulsa doesn’t have a chance, unfortunately. Californinicators have a love affair with Austin that has never waned. They have singlehandedly ruined our fair sleepy college town. I doubt that he can persuade highly skilled engineers to move to redneck Tulsa when the beautiful (affordable to them) SF East is available. I am just wondering where COA has acreage for it.
Austin is anything but a 'sleepy' college town, considering the size of UT and the fact it's the capital of the second-largest State in the US, lol. It's been a destination for migrating talent (from the entire country) due to the University for decades (though appreciate you accrediting tech talent in Austin exclusively to CA migration : )
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2020, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,527 posts, read 928,947 times
Reputation: 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Austin is anything but a 'sleepy' college town, considering the size of UT and the fact it's the capital of the second-largest State in the US, lol. It's been a destination for migrating talent (from the entire country) due to the University for decades (though appreciate you accrediting tech talent in Austin exclusively to CA migration : )
I am waxing about the Austin that I knew in the 80s. I really had no idea that Austin would be synonymous with crack cocaine to the California locusts. . Back then, we only had Motorola and Symantech. The rest of the economy was state govt and UT.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2020, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
19,386 posts, read 14,878,861 times
Reputation: 5929
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Austin is anything but a 'sleepy' college town, considering the size of UT and the fact it's the capital of the second-largest State in the US, lol. It's been a destination for migrating talent (from the entire country) due to the University for decades (though appreciate you accrediting tech talent in Austin exclusively to CA migration : )
Austin has been considered before by Tesla but wasn't selected.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2020, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Stillwater, Oklahoma
19,386 posts, read 14,878,861 times
Reputation: 5929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
Tulsa doesn’t have a chance, unfortunately. Californinicators have a love affair with Austin that has never waned. They have singlehandedly ruined our fair sleepy college town. I doubt that he can persuade highly skilled engineers to move to redneck Tulsa when the beautiful (affordable to them) SF East is available. I am just wondering where COA has acreage for it.
I don't know if it matters to Tesla, but Tulsa, unlike Austin, has an inland water port for barge access to the Mississippi River. Maybe highly skilled California skilled engineers won't want to come to Austin and attempt to tolerate the highly blazing hot summer weather.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2020, 02:27 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
3,982 posts, read 1,055,345 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
I am waxing about the Austin that I knew in the 80s. I really had no idea that Austin would be synonymous with crack cocaine to the California locusts. . Back then, we only had Motorola and Symantech. The rest of the economy was state govt and UT.
Dell was founded in the 80's (and Austin had a population of nearly half-million people by the 80's) as well as the fact it was the state capital then, too. ; ) There were other tech firms at the time; point being - it was not a sleepy small town then, either.

Did you mean the 1880's, lol? Even then it had the 7th largest building in the world at the time.

That said, I absolutely agree re: your favoring Austin over Tulsa for the new Tesla plant.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 05-17-2020 at 02:44 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2020, 02:39 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
3,982 posts, read 1,055,345 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Austin has been considered before by Tesla but wasn't selected.
Actually, Austin and Tulsa are finalists currently being considered to build Tesla's cybertruck gigafactory. A centrally-located base has made sense (and been in the plan) for awhile.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2020, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Huntsville Area
1,471 posts, read 369,357 times
Reputation: 2126
Austin should have talent, but living there also requires workers to make substantial salaries.

Tulsa is a much smaller city, however it is a little off the beaten path.

Automobile production requires a bunch of suppliers in the vicinity in order for all the parts to come together at the same time. You know, like the auto suppliers in Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama.

There's a reason the Deep South has so many auto and truck assembly plants. That's where Tesla would do better building a plant.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2020, 03:28 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
15,224 posts, read 14,650,814 times
Reputation: 6671
It would probably be a game changer for Tulsa.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top