U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM

179 posts, read 148,542 times

Advertisements

I have a dual citizenship US/ Ghana and I currently reside in NY but I'm hoping to relocate and telecommute in Ghana for my employer which is a US bank.

I still plan on keeping my US residency as I have property here and will continue my direct deposit as is currently, so I will still pay US taxes. Any funds I will be using if I relocate will be from credit cards or bank transfers into a bank account I already have in Ghana.

Will there be any tax implication for my employer is all my direct deposit remains the same, however I'm just physically located in another country? All work is online and none of the work I do will generate income for any persons of companies in Ghana.

Thanks for your input and expertise guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:14 AM

3,079 posts, read 4,170,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allamshield View Post
I have a dual citizenship US/ Ghana and I currently reside in NY but I'm hoping to relocate and telecommute in Ghana for my employer which is a US bank.

I still plan on keeping my US residency as I have property here and will continue my direct deposit as is currently, so I will still pay US taxes. Any funds I will be using if I relocate will be from credit cards or bank transfers into a bank account I already have in Ghana.

Will there be any tax implication for my employer is all my direct deposit remains the same, however I'm just physically located in another country? All work is online and none of the work I do will generate income for any persons of companies in Ghana.

Thanks for your input and expertise guys.
Interesting case.

I worked in Malaysia for quite a few years and had to file both Malaysian and USA tax forms. I paid taxes to Malaysia since I was working for a Malaysian company, but did not owe any USA income taxes since my income fell way below the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion amount. The USA is one of the few countries in the world that taxes foreign earned wages, but the exclusion amount is quite high.

Since you are a Ghanaian resident, you should check with a Ghanaian based tax accountant to see what the rules are for paying Ghanaian taxes on foreign earned income. It might be that Ghana wouldn't tax you on money earned "overseas". Look up the rules for "digital nomads".

Here is what I found regarding Ghana. “Ghana taxes its resident individuals on income from any employment, business, or investment, whether or not the source from which the income is derived has ceased. Foreign-sourced income of residents is also taxable.” – PricewaterhouseCoopers

https://brighttax.com/blog/us-expat-...-need-to-know/

There are also guidelines about double taxation. Here is one link: https://www.investopedia.com/article...0tax%20returns.

I highly recommend consulting a tax professional. The advice you get from an internet forum (like my advice) is likely not worth $0.02.

Last edited by Teak; Today at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or