Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 04:38 AM

1,195 posts, read 984,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
You need to crunch some numbers then. Figure out how many of those tables you need occupied at $3 an hour to break even.

I can't see how it would work.
Several tables, but that's why it's a wild idea, premise of having low expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogg View Post
Well, I thought some of the other posters were being overly harsh with you earlier, but after reading this post, frankly, I'm not sure you're prepared to start even a lemonade stand. So you're going to provide a comfortable space, a large selection of games to play(consider the capital needed for those items alone), and encourage a pair of customers to stay for a couple of hours. In exchange, you'll get $6 in revenue. Even more concerning, you seem to think that if these same two customers show up frequently, or if you have a big enough space to accommodate more customers like this, that the $6 you get from them will 'add up' to something. Huh?

Businesses dream of having lots of people who are in their space and spending money. No business wants to entertain customers who are not spending money, yet that seems to be your entire business plan. Even if you owned the space free and clear, that would never work. I'm sorry, but if you don't see how incredibly foolish that is, I'm not sure what advice I can offer you.

Out of curiosity though, could you explain what you mean by 'public business'? What is a public business?
Public business meaning businesses that are seen in public for customers from the public, notice the context.

Old 08-25-2020, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
This was my point, and the point of others writing here.

The OP wants to:
*sell a low ticket item
*encourage people to stay a long time
*attract others to do the same

That combination is what restaurants/bars/coffee shops want to avoid like the plague.

Successful businesses get more $/hour from their customers and successfully 'turn the tables' much more frequently throughout the day.
Restaurants are in no hurry to legally open indoor dining when they have lines of drive-thru business. This creates a demand for a type of coffee shop that chooses to stay open and fill this vacuum. When someone buys a coffee to drink inside a coffee shop, they stay as long as they want either way, so there's hardly any difference.

Old 08-25-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Quite a number of people are joining UberEats and DoorDash.
No overhead costs or operating expenses.
No food safety inspection, staff and business administration headaches.
In a city of 2.5 million people, UberEats deliverers posted their earnings displayed on their smartphones
If they worked 80 hours a month, they could gross in $2000.
And if they were on the roads 320 hours a month, they could make around $8000.
80 hours a month isn't much work, neither is $2000 before taxes. Anyone willing to join ubereats or doordash deserves every penny they make because it's not something many people can survive on.

320 hours/month? I'd like to see one with that much demand. And do they not use their own car??? DoorDash is a joke where I live. UberEats is also a tough hustle. Someone is better off delivering pizzas for Domino's.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:18 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Sounds to me like the OP should start a club. Maybe have a coffee shop front room and a club space back room. Patrons pay a monthly fee to use the club space. They can have their food there as well.

Worth trying.

Old 10-03-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Sounds to me like the OP should start a club. Maybe have a coffee shop front room and a club space back room. Patrons pay a monthly fee to use the club space. They can have their food there as well.

Worth trying.
That's a great idea. Typically people reserve a table or section of a restaurant but this sounds more exclusive, like an intimate more casual version of a catering hall. In fact a club who facilitates real clubs who need a meeting place.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:59 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
A. I don't think you understand how commercial rental space works. When you get a commercial lease, the property management is providing you space, if you want to pretty it up, YOU pay the cost of any build outs, (upgrading the space), otherwise you have a big open space that may or may not have a finished ceiling, the only walls would be that for the doors to the bathroom(s) and utility closet.

B. You pay for the utilities, and usually maintenance cost if say the A/C system breaks. So you expect the landlord to pay the increased utility costs? Paying for maintenance and wear on A/C system? It far cheaper to leave the space empty, and the A/C off. Heat set to the minimum temp required to keep the pipes from freezing.

C. Let just assume for a minute that you get a landlord to go along with your idea, when the commercial market recovers and he wants to lease out the space to a good PAYING customer, your deadbeat non-paying butt is going to be in the way when showing it off to prospective clients. it better for him to leave the space empty until he gets someone to lease it then rent it out free.

D. There is more to pay then just the leased space, common areas such as halls, elevators and parking lots need to be maintained and insured. I'm sure any other paying tenants in the building would be less that thrilled by increased traffic from your business and you not sharing the costs. This is turn could cause paying customers to decide not to renew there lease.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:29 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. I don't expect to make a living from this, this would be something I do while maintaining my full time job in the company I work for. The building owner would make something more than they currently make which is zero. For this to work it'll have to be in a building that otherwise has plenty of room but severe lack of tenants. I would start off with 1 full time employee + a person from my family who wouldn't take a paycheck.

I don't anticipate that homeless would pay $10 just to sit in someplace. There are other indoor places they can go free of charge. My attitude is if they are willing to pay $10 it doesn't matter if they're homeless or rich, so long as they aren't causing problems. I would rather have a group of "free loaders" in the club than nobody at all, a dead place doesn't attract more people.
I know landlords would rather keep their space vacant than to rent to you at $100/ mo less than they want. Who is paying the high utility costs? No landlord is going to open themselves to the exposure of a lawsuit in case someone falls or gets hurt. And for $19, you aren’t getting some high class folks. You’re go pinnacle get people that haven’t jobs, probably don’t bathe, might start fights, etc. This sounds terrible. If anything, people could go to the local library for free and do what you are offering excel that even most libraries remain closed it limited to 30 minute visits. How are you going allow people to remain in a room together during Covid?

And it is illegal to have anyone, even your mom, work for free. My friend works for the state tax delta do he would audit payroll taxes. He walked into many businesses an asked who the workers were and was told they were family and they didn’t work there. He would come back multiple times and they would be techie, he would bill them tens of thousands of dollars in payroll taxes due because those family workers are considered employees whether they agree to work for free of now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business