Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 05:26 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,967 times

Advertisements

I am retired from corporate America and now work part time for a non profit. If I have any out of pocket expenses in my travels I must submit a receipt to be reimbursed. This policy is down to a $2.50 coffee and a bagel. In my prior working career for the last 20 years accounting wanted nothing to do with receipts under $25 and entrusted the employee to “do the right thing”. With the non profit if I submit a hand written “receipt” because I forgot to ask for one they go crazy. Are they off base or am I for objecting to this policy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 08:38 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
As a nonprofit, maybe their expenses are more closely scrutinized. Or maybe the Accounting Manager is a jerk. In either case, they have a very clear, understandable, and clearly not unethical policy. How can that be “off base”? Start saving receipts.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:56 AM

2,484 posts, read 2,702,622 times
Coffee and a bagel are a business expense? Maybe that’s why they want receipts.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:11 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
As a nonprofit, maybe their expenses are more closely scrutinized. Or maybe the Accounting Manager is a jerk. In either case, they have a very clear, understandable, and clearly not unethical policy. How can that be “off base”? Start saving receipts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Coffee and a bagel are a business expense? Maybe that’s why they want receipts.

Plus, if it bothers you that much, then there is no reason for you to ask to be reimbursed for coffee and a bagel. Bring your own coffee or eat the $2.50. Sheesh.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
When I travel on business I use a corporate credit card, but still must receive and submit a receipt. There is a food limit per day, which could include coffee and a doughnut or bagel. Travel expenses are very thoroughly audited. If you don't want to save receipts, you should just pay for the small expenses yourself. They are not off base, they are simply doing their best to maintain their non-profit status.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:08 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,967 times
OP here and as Paul Harvey would say now you know the rest of the story:

The non profit I work for is a world renowned drug and alcohol treatment facility. I transport patients in and out for treatment driving a company vehicle upwards of 250 miles each way. Some trips can run 10 to 12 hours. I am reimbursed for meals, airport parking etc. Say a parking receipt for $4 is submitted. My supervisor signs off on it, them his boss signs it and then it goes on to accounting. Three maybe four people “touching “ a $4 expense.

It all seems wasteful to me and a far cry from a best practice. I have never submitted an expense over $20 in the last 4 years that I have been on the job.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:21 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
It’s non-profit, maybe that’s why. Previously you worked for a corporation.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post

The non profit I work for is a world renowned drug and alcohol treatment facility. I transport patients in and out for treatment driving a company vehicle upwards of 250 miles each way. Some trips can run 10 to 12 hours. I am reimbursed for meals, airport parking etc. Say a parking receipt for $4 is submitted. My supervisor signs off on it, them his boss signs it and then it goes on to accounting. Three maybe four people “touching “ a $4 expense.

It all seems wasteful to me and a far cry from a best practice. I have never submitted an expense over $20 in the last 4 years that I have been on the job.
It has to be done, the problem is how they do it. If a fair number of people are doing that same work as you they need to get some decent software such as we use. We simply scan the receipts into the system, then it shoots an email to the approving manager and/or director who clicks their approval.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:56 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,964,095 times
Quote:

It all seems wasteful to me and a far cry from a best practice.
In your previous executive life, that would have sent half a dozen people scrambling for a solution. Now, it just makes you “that guy”. Start saving receipts.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:19 AM

9,859 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:

Our small business went through a full IRS research audit. We needed to show documents for every expense as well as proof of payment. Since that year long audit, I've switched to putting everything I can on a credit card or paying by check. No cash payments unless I have an official receipt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business