Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 01:47 PM

12 posts, read 30,816 times

Advertisements

I was surfing online at these Financial Firms (ie. Morgan Stanley, Charles Schwabb, etc),
and I came across their financial advisor's contact pages.

A few just have "Financial Advisor" as their title.
But then for multiple others, under Financial Advisor, I see Vice President.
And some VP titles has additional rankings such as:

Vice President
First Vice President
Executive Vice President
Senior Vice President

What do these "Vice President" mean in their titles??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 04:02 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
In the financial industry, "Vice President" is a free wheeling title like "(fill in the blank) Manger" is to quickie mart/gas stations. Different firms use different criteria to establish VP titles. Usually the only real executive levels will have "executive" or "VP of..." in the tile.

In the non financial industry, VP titles were normally used for those with true executive authority and/or autonomy in their area. It was seldom used as a "ranking" within the workforce. However, times are changing. Now, every dolt out of collage thinks they are CEO material so titles are becoming more a recruiting tools. As such, they are less important and kinda meaningless as they continue to be cheapened.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:59 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britaintowsend View Post

Vice President
First Vice President
Executive Vice President
Senior Vice President

Generally speaking in re: corporate heirarchy, a VP oversees Directors relative to one department/area and reports to an Executive VP who is typically involved in strategic planning as well as operational, financial and/or legal considerations i.e. Executive VP of Legal Affairs or Executive VP Operations, for example (depending upon the company size). They are often second-in-command.

That said, I consider 'First VP's' to be the same (in terms of role/salary) as Assistant VP's i.e. essentially the level of a Senior Director.

Old 11-09-2020, 09:00 PM

119 posts, read 122,071 times
In banking a VP isn't actually very high on the totem pole. It varies bank by bank, but usually it goes something like Analyst, Associate, VP, SVP, Director, Managing Director, etc.

Old 11-10-2020, 07:33 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
It's higher than teller. But not that much higher.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:57 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
I was surfing online at these Financial Firms (ie. Morgan Stanley, Charles Schwabb, etc),
and I came across their financial advisor's contact pages.

A few just have "Financial Advisor" as their title.
But then for multiple others, under Financial Advisor, I see Vice President.
And some VP titles has additional rankings such as:

Vice President
First Vice President
Executive Vice President
Senior Vice President

For the financial advisor field it’s their level of revenue generation that drives the title. Fa>fa vp> fa 1st vp> fa sr vp > fa exec vp is most likely the correct order

Old 11-11-2020, 02:26 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Private First Class.

It means nothing except to some poor ******* who walks in the door with money. Makes them think they are dealing with "somebody".

VP in the finance world has zero decision making power. Just a title on a business card.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:18 AM

12 posts, read 30,816 times
I did more research and came to the conclusion -
the VP title for a Financial Advisor (aka. Wealth Manager) - has nothing to do with any corporate hierarchy in terms of overseeing departments and/or staff, this is not a reporting structure pyramid of any kind; "VP" in the financial world does not conform to the traditional/mainstream definition that we the general population would know or understand.

The Charles Schwab website, I saw over 99% of their Financial Consultants are VPs, some may have "Sr VP" in their title - it was a headscratcher to think how can this company have "all Chiefs and no Indians"?
The Morgan Stanley site displays the same thing.

I would have to agree with Lowexpectations response.
The VP title has to do with MONEY and nothing more!
I was thinking the more clients with money a financial advisor possess, your ranking & title goes up.
But Lowexpectation hit the nail on the head - its the "level of revenue generation that drives the title".

This reminded me of my aunt, she is a millionaire and her money is being managed by a financial firm.
However, her account has absolutely no movement. Her stocks and bonds and shares are the same today as it was 10 years ago. She mentioned to me one time that she frustrates her advisor, he does not draw a commission from her account or draw a measley amount in any given year.

So it really is how much $$ one makes for his or her firm would grant you the "Vice President" title!

My followup question would be, would the firm recant your VP title if your revenue generation dips?

Old 11-15-2020, 06:24 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
A VP is a low level officer in a corporations. To execute binding legal agreements you need an officer to sign so a VP can commit the company to a contract etc.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:50 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
I did more research and came to the conclusion -
the VP title for a Financial Advisor (aka. Wealth Manager) - has nothing to do with any corporate hierarchy in terms of overseeing departments and/or staff, this is not a reporting structure pyramid of any kind; "VP" in the financial world does not conform to the traditional/mainstream definition that we the general population would know or understand.

The Charles Schwab website, I saw over 99% of their Financial Consultants are VPs, some may have "Sr VP" in their title - it was a headscratcher to think how can this company have "all Chiefs and no Indians"?
The Morgan Stanley site displays the same thing.

I would have to agree with Lowexpectations response.
The VP title has to do with MONEY and nothing more!
I was thinking the more clients with money a financial advisor possess, your ranking & title goes up.
But Lowexpectation hit the nail on the head - its the "level of revenue generation that drives the title".

This reminded me of my aunt, she is a millionaire and her money is being managed by a financial firm.
However, her account has absolutely no movement. Her stocks and bonds and shares are the same today as it was 10 years ago. She mentioned to me one time that she frustrates her advisor, he does not draw a commission from her account or draw a measley amount in any given year.

So it really is how much $$ one makes for his or her firm would grant you the "Vice President" title!

My followup question would be, would the firm recant your VP title if your revenue generation dips?

Typically titles reset annually, some firms might allow you one year grace period for the title downgrade. Fwiw having more clients isn’t necessarily a good thing either, not for the advisor or the clients
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business