Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 06:08 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,555,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
If i had that money i would invest in some sort of oil and gas asset on the cheap for my business.
ROTF . . .

For more details . . . see here >>>

https://www.haynesboone.com/-/media/...ruptcy_Monitor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 09:08 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,058,349 times
DO NOT INVEST IN A BUSINESS YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND. Oil and gas leases? Not on your life.

Best option if you have that kind of money? Go to a reputable commercial real estate company or two. The kind that have a good reputation for getting solid returns.

Ask if they're looking for investors. A good CRE firm will not only get you a decent return but will pay quarterly dividends. The last deal we were in not only garnered a 15-20% return annually, but gave us a nice bit of passive income, too. Best of all, you're not dealing with maintenance issues, tenants, or any of the paperwork.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:18 AM

1,417 posts, read 736,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
If live in United states you have $250k to invest in a business in 2021 which option would you pursue given the current situation ?

Any /ideas on table

Only objective is to make $$$ , no ideological baggage

Thanks
Since you are in IL I would buy a few trucks and containers and open up a moving company for those who are leaving the state. The demand is huge and will only increase. A moving company or real estate relocation service should be a goldmine.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:28 AM

433 posts, read 533,361 times
Anybody know what is involved in getting into the CBD business. Seems like CBD shops are springing up everywhere.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:53 PM

956 posts, read 790,960 times
You might school yourself on everything involved in collection and waste disposal of plastics. A major change in international policy regarding disposal of plastic waste takes effect today, Jan 1, 2021. It could lead to some business opportunities that haven't been exploited. I believe the US is not a party to it, but the changes restrict inter-border transfers of plastic waste, so technically the US cannot easily dump its wastes so easily in the 186 countries that are part of the Basel Convention.

BC Plastic Waste Amendments

Old 01-03-2021, 02:41 AM

834 posts, read 530,411 times
Coffee. It's addictive, legal, and not just socially acceptable, it's socially insisted upon.

I don't believe I've ever seen an ad for Starbucks....and they have over 30,000 locations.

Old 01-03-2021, 07:07 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,663,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bound2TN View Post
Anybody know what is involved in getting into the CBD business. Seems like CBD shops are springing up everywhere.
1. If you mean being a CBD retailer, it is a regulated retail industry and as such the regulations will vary by state and community. Frequently you must apply for and be awarded a business license - which is a scarce entity - and thus having connections at City Hall is a must.

Your profits on being a CBD retailer will be similar to other retail ventures. As you point out, they are springing up everywhere, so competition will force prices to a market clearing level for any retail consumable entity, where you will ultimately compete with Amazon.

2. If you mean being in the CBD manufacturing business, that ultimately will be a manufacturing business of scale, and that takes a LOT of capital.

3. If you mean being a pot grower, that's being a farmer. Ultimately, we will see farmers who currently grow wheat or corn or soybeans turn instead to growing pot. Don't try to compete with a corporate farmer.

Old 01-03-2021, 07:28 AM

24,633 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
Coffee. It's addictive, legal, and not just socially acceptable, it's socially insisted upon.

I don't believe I've ever seen an ad for Starbucks....and they have over 30,000 locations.
Turn on your TV.

Old 01-06-2021, 12:17 PM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
If live in United states you have $250k to invest in a business in 2021 which option would you pursue given the current situation ?
How much hard work do you want to put in, in addition to your money?

Old 01-09-2021, 05:40 PM

6,265 posts, read 5,077,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
250K?

That's a tough amount.

It's too much to waste, but not enough to start a biz in the US, nowadays.

If you try, you'll soon see what I mean....
I didn't have anything close to that when I started a few years ago. Not even remotely close. It can be done.

Found a niche, used the experience and skills I already had in a field that I was passionate about, worked my ass off for next to nothing the first year, been getting regular (and increasing paychecks) for the past couple of years. The so-called boot-strap approach.

I'm just saying it can be done. I'm not convinced that it can be done without the passion, dedication, skill set and knowledge base necessary to make a small business work. For the length of time you are stuffing money into a business before it pays off, there has to be something to get you up and out every morning.
Just picking "anything" with the sole goal to make money? Maybe it could be done, but I'm not convinced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business