Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2020, 01:20 PM

3,721 posts, read 4,895,235 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there is a permanent way to block unwanted and unsolicited crap e-mails and robo calls?

I have 2 businesses, one with a g-mail account and one with a yahoo account. There is no difference. This spam is filling up my e-mail to the point of missing possible jobs because the real stuff gets burry'd in with the BS. I have tried blocking them and clicking to stop receiving from sender but they keep coming.

Also my verizon account? Cloned calls and robo calls are the vast majority I receive. Then if not answered they go to my voice mail and fill up my in box. It has gotten to the point where I don't carry the phone at all times anymore or rush to answer as odds are it is spam. I run a charter boat and have a boat detailing service in a tourist area so I need to answer from all surrounding states (from NY to NC out to WV) because my clients could be from any of those.

On top of that my phone goes off all day with messages from weather, news, finances and everything else imaginable.

Is there any way to block this stuff so I can go back to answering my phone, getting important messages and actually being able to find important e-mails?

Or am I screwed to the point of needing to change my number and e-mail accounts? Of course that would mean loosing any possible clients that have my info, current clients, changing business cards, booking info, advertising and all sorts of other goodies to make my life even more a PIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 03:07 PM

433 posts, read 535,934 times
Marlinfshr--I feel your pain. Especially since you need to be able to get unknown customer calls/emails. My brother had a log home sales business and he still gets gazillions of emails. But, he's retired now and doesn't give a rodent's rectum.
I think (and this is waaay above my paygrade) but, it's going to depend first of all what kind of phone/system you have--android or apple. Then, you are going to have to know your carrier--Verizon, AT&T, etc..
Since you already have GMail, that is a good starting point. From what I understand (and I haven't delved into this deeply) you can go into the settings on your GMail account and "tighten" the restrictions--even down to limiting the emails to only those people in your "contacts." (Obviously not going to work for you.) There may be another way of limiting the mail to only certain areas based on the ISP. I got a new smartphone awhile back and opened a GMail account. There is also something called Google Talk. You get a phone number through Google and then you can apply filters on it to minimize the BS calls. I didn't do it, but, supposedly you can get a cheapo (burner) phone from Tracfone or one of those outfits and "port" your present phone number to it. Sign up for the Google Talk and then discontinue the burner (if that makes sense?)

Like I say, this computer stuff is way over my head, but, the following lists of videos should give you a start on ideas---

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+blo...deos&ia=videos
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+blo...deos&ia=videos

Where you at- OC?

Old 02-09-2021, 03:12 PM

433 posts, read 535,934 times
Another way to handle robocalls---
"Comedian and viral video creator Tom Mabe. For more than two decades this Kentucky comic has made millions of fans with his prank phone calls, viral videos, stand-up comedy, a television show and much more."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=-7OgWcwgB50

Old 02-12-2021, 11:58 AM

5,755 posts, read 4,370,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bound2TN View Post
Another way to handle robocalls---
"Comedian and viral video creator Tom Mabe. For more than two decades this Kentucky comic has made millions of fans with his prank phone calls, viral videos, stand-up comedy, a television show and much more."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=-7OgWcwgB50

I can't wait for Google Listing Service to call back.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:33 PM

3,522 posts, read 7,810,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I was wondering if there is a permanent way to block unwanted and unsolicited crap e-mails and robo calls?

I have 2 businesses, one with a g-mail account and one with a yahoo account. There is no difference. This spam is filling up my e-mail to the point of missing possible jobs because the real stuff gets burry'd in with the BS. I have tried blocking them and clicking to stop receiving from sender but they keep coming.
Simple, use an email program like Outlook to download your email from your google or yahoo server. Now you can filter your emails with rules by sender, subject, specific words in the body of the email, etc., and have those emails go to a junk email folder automatically. You never see them, unless you want to look in your junk folder. As you get new ones that get past your filter, add new rules. This will greatly reduce the spam in your inbox. This solves you email issues, robo calls are another matter.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:37 PM

5,755 posts, read 4,370,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Simple, use an email program like Outlook to download your email from your google or yahoo server. Now you can filter your emails with rules by sender, subject, specific words in the body of the email, etc., and have those emails go to a junk email folder automatically. You never see them, unless you want to look in your junk folder. As you get new ones that get past your filter, add new rules. This will greatly reduce the spam in your inbox. This solves you email issues, robo calls are another matter.

Just make sure its something "like" Outlook and not Outlook itself, because in my experience Outlook plays by own rules

Old 02-13-2021, 12:54 PM

17,738 posts, read 29,997,660 times
On my computer I see very few spam emails.

Here is what I do.
1. I have an email account of Dave@DavesBusinessDomain.com which is what I give all my customers. I have a website for the business.
2. This account is under Apple Mail on my iMac.
3. All incoming GMail (i.e., dave@GMail.com) is forwarded to Dave@DavesBusinessDomain.com so I never visit GMail. GMail detects and blocks some spam. All my email is sent from my IMAP account at my domain. I never give out my Dave@GMail address unless I log into the comments section "with Facebook"
4. My ISP has Barracuda spam filtering set up so this is the next level of entrapment. I can control filters there. Add customers to whitelist, etc.
5. Apple Mail has spam detection and that catches more.
6. Then I use rules in Apple Mail to direct incoming emails to appropriate special email boxes. For example, weekly/monthly reports from some services.

Most of the spam that I do see is from Chinese manufacturers or website developers as Dave@DavesBusinessDomain.com has been out there for 25 years.

I also own a personal domain and separate business and personal email.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:11 PM

617 posts, read 542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post

Try dropme.email http://dropme.email, they have customizable learning spam filter, very effective, I barely have any spam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business