Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 08:57 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Safeway is already owned by Albertson’s (and Kroger already owns Ralph’s).

Whoever owns them isn't all that bright. They are the only union ones here, so they don't hire many...and the store is slow as hell. Their prices are high across the board. I think the business model must be to raise prices high enough for only shoppers that don't care about prices....so they don't have to staff the store all that often with expensive labor. One store rarely has shopping carts, so it's just what you can carry anyway. The other store is new but seems to do most of their business for delivered groceries.

I go there for baking supplies, and if the deli stand is ever staffed (rarely) I'll pick up deli meats and quick flowers if I don't care about quality. I've definitely gone in for quick flowers, saw the outstreched lines and put the flowers back and left.

I really don't think it poses a threat to the other stores in the area....at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 09:49 AM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Not an issue here. Two Safeways here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Safeway is already owned by Albertson’s (and Kroger already owns Ralph’s).
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Whoever owns them isn't all that bright.
I can’t/won’t comment on this - lol; my point is in regard to the acquisition in and of itself as a combined force/effort to battle the largest (in-store) grocer in the US - Walmart (although it’s not classified as a supermarket). Kroger and Albertson’s are (to date) 4th and 5th, respectively.

Old 10-25-2022, 06:57 PM

578 posts, read 303,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Yup, it looks like 2 of the biggest chains in the USA are going to merge into 1 big monopoly.

They're doing this, to "combat the big box stores, from taking market share away from them."

So, anyone here have BOTH an Albertson's AND a Kroger (family) store, in their 'hood?

Which store may close, or will BOTH stores close, leaving you in a "food desert?"

Yes, interesting times we live in...
Sure do Kroger is why miles from me, Albertsons owns 2 other grocery stores that are closer and ones I go to a lot too. Tom Thumb and market street are the 2 owned by Albertsons. The Tom Thumb should be shut as it really has nothing unique about it. 3 Sams clubs are within 4 miles, 2 costcos too and whole food, new HEB, Trader Joe’s within a mile and 4 super Walmarts within 5 miles. Target and Aldi are 3,miles away so too many options needs some consolidation for sure.

Forgot to mention sprotsb3 miles away and 4 Asian grocery stores range from 2 to 5 miles away. Central market is owned by HEB and 4 miles from has great selection of food and bwvweages from all over the globe, like say 25 different types of olives in self service area.

Old 10-26-2022, 01:53 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,673 times
I think it's a little hyperbolic to say the merger will create a monopoly; the combined entity is going to shed some stores, to please regulators, so this will still make it smaller than Walmart/Sam's Club, which has 5000 stores in the United States. Kroger is still going to be pretty big, though.

My town doesn't have a Kroger, though I wish it did; Walmart, Sam's Club, and Food Lion (corporate sibling of Giant) dominate in our market, so I won't be affected.

Old 10-26-2022, 07:33 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I think it's a little hyperbolic to say the merger will create a monopoly; the combined entity is going to shed some stores, to please regulators, so this will still make it smaller than Walmart/Sam's Club, which has 5000 stores in the United States. Kroger is still going to be pretty big, though.

My town doesn't have a Kroger, though I wish it did; Walmart, Sam's Club, and Food Lion (corporate sibling of Giant) dominate in our market, so I won't be affected.
Additionally, in some markets, not all Albertson's/Safeway's will be part of the merger and most likely will be rebranded under a lesser banner name. And, not all of the lesser banner named stores will be included in the merger. So the total number of stores in operation today under all their names will not be the sum total of all stores merged into one.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:10 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Yup, it looks like 2 of the biggest chains in the USA are going to merge into 1 big monopoly.

They're doing this, to "combat the big box stores, from taking market share away from them."

So, anyone here have BOTH an Albertson's AND a Kroger (family) store, in their 'hood?

Which store may close, or will BOTH stores close, leaving you in a "food desert?"

Yes, interesting times we live in...

Back right before they went under most of our Albertson's became Haggen markets and then most promptly closed in a few months. A single Albertson's remained as it never rebranded and is surrounded by three Ralph's locations. One Ralph's is within walking distance of the Albertson's if someone were using a cart to walk home smaller purchases. With the Albertson's closer to single family home customers and the Ralph's bordering apartment dwellers.

Smaller local markets have mostly been in place for the 50 years that I can remember and more Trader Joe's, along with Sprouts taking over maybe a third of the ex Albertson's/Haggen locations have arrived. With the newest markets being Amazon Fresh and Wal*Mart appearing.

For political reasons Wal*Mart can't get their general stores into the immediate area. The one in an old department store anchoring a politically connected but failing mall having closed years ago. Since the Ralph's is across the street from another ex Albertson's location, a smaller chain's market that focuses more on Mexican American consumers, I would expect the Albertson's near the mall to survive should closures come.

Old 11-03-2022, 03:04 PM

474 posts, read 263,980 times
And y'all thought the merger was about getting cheaper prices from suppliers, closing some stores, consolidating back of house. Well it is, but more too. I don't have a link for the wrapped text below, but it's from The Open Markets Institute. It will be up on their site with 10 embedded links in about 2 weeks.

Quote:
The proposed merger of grocery giants Kroger and Albertsons, if approved, is likely to result in higher food prices for many Americans, more food deserts, and other well-documented harms to American society. But a less discussed matter is how a major shift in digital advertising may be helping to drive consolidation, with powerful retailers fast emerging as some of the biggest players in so-called retail media.

Under this model, chain stores and dominant online sellers exploit their control over key marketplaces to sell ads that target their own customers. Such retailers use their first-hand access to shopper data — also called first-party data — to sell ad spots on channels they directly own, and to sell shoppers’ profiles to manufacturers and other companies for use in advertising on other online sites and platforms. Amazon is one of the pioneers of this model, first moving into advertising in 2016 and earning $1.4 billion in its first year. This year, Amazon is on pace to make at least $37 billion in ad revenues. In all, retail media makes up 11% of total ad spending this year.

One reason for the rise of such ad systems is profit margins of 70 to 90 percent, which far exceed the 20-percent margins normally seen in the grocery sector, according to Boston Consulting Group. In this context, the Kroger-Albertsons deal would be the first big merger driven by the promise of making more money from digital ads. The new corporation would not only harness the power of their proprietary ad tech tools, but also the data coming from nearly 5,000 stores serving 85 million households. As one analyst told the Wall Street Journal, “It’s about building a retail media juggernaut.”

Under this model, corporations like Walmart or Target offer ad spaces tied to searches on their own websites. The retailers also allow advertisers to access their first-party data through demand-side platforms, which manage all audiences a brand wants to reach, and through sell-side platforms, which keep inventories of all possible places where brands can run ads online.

Kroger, for instance, set up Kroger Precision Marketing in 2018 to offer such services. Through it, the supermarket chain sells ad spots on its web properties, such as search engines, cash back pages, or email marketing. Additionally, Kroger sells audiences’ data to demand-side platforms through its Kroger Private Marketplace. To work with sell-side platforms, Kroger also launched an alliance with Magnite to channel shopper data for ads on TV streaming services. Albertsons began to offer such services last year when it launched Albertsons Media Collective.

Retail media is often portrayed by marketers as “an alternative” to the traditional services offered by the main two ad tech incumbents, Google and Facebook. And indeed, much of the new business is more or less a direct result of new data privacy laws in Europe and the U.S. designed to curtail an ad business model based on pervasive user tracking across the web. One result is that Apple last year started blocking third-party tracking technology on apps, and that Google will soon block its ad competitors’ ability to track users on the Chrome browser. Both actions increase the value of the first-party data collected by retailers like Kroger and Albertsons.

Old 11-04-2022, 06:34 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Good article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business