Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 03:37 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

The president of McDonald's USA threw shade at California lawmakers for passing a fast-food law that he said would make it "all but impossible to run small business restaurants" in the state, Joe Erlinger said in a January 25 open letter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mcdo...ood-law-2023-1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 07:10 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
The president of McDonald's USA threw shade at California lawmakers for passing a fast-food law that he said would make it "all but impossible to run small business restaurants" in the state, Joe Erlinger said in a January 25 open letter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mcdo...ood-law-2023-1
McDs are not small business restaurants. They charge lots of moolah to open a franchise, and speculators usually open multiple to dominate the area. Then they do sale lease backs on the property to recoup millions. In fact, usually there are too many McDs in an area or at least it was like that for a long while. I believe many fast food places are starting to scale back now.

But seriously, where did all that moolah come from in the first place? How can they not afford to pay workers when the price of just doing business has not gotten any cheaper over the decades? And why on earth are you speculating on something with such low margins that are being claimed to begin with?

Lets face it if the definition of small business is there is a handful of principals, then I guess Madoff Investments was a small business too. It only occupied one floor of a modest Manhattan building. The other floor was used to house old computer systems that held all the secrets, and no one else besides Madoff and his most trusted inner circle were allowed on.

Old 02-01-2023, 07:52 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Yes. It would be costly to small businesses. Most McDonald’s are not owned by McDonalds because they are franchises. His pay has nothing to do with the fact that it would hurt small businesses

Old 02-02-2023, 10:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Yes. It would be costly to small businesses. Most McDonald’s are not owned by McDonalds because they are franchises. His pay has nothing to do with the fact that it would hurt small businesses
Most McDonalds are a single franchise owner which is indeed a small business. There are some cases where an owner has 4-5 of them in an area, but there is a big difference between them with 8-10 employees at each location and corporate Mcd, which has 200,000 office employees. Their pay ranges from $33,906 to $127,899 a year, so some of those office staff are making less than the proposed burger flipper pay
(33,906 is $17.65/hour)

Old 02-02-2023, 12:23 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Most McDonalds are a single franchise owner which is indeed a small business. There are some cases where an owner has 4-5 of them in an area, but there is a big difference between them with 8-10 employees at each location and corporate Mcd, which has 200,000 office employees. Their pay ranges from $33,906 to $127,899 a year, so some of those office staff are making less than the proposed burger flipper pay
(33,906 is $17.65/hour)
I dont know about that. Plus each one may be under its own separate exclusive name, and have its own bank account but if the principals are all the same, then its really not a single owner with single location. Do you have evidence to what you claim? I cant seem to find list of all McD franchisees and how many stores. I can only see news about the largest owners and they all own quite a few and dominate an area.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I dont know about that. Plus each one may be under its own separate exclusive name, and have its own bank account but if the principals are all the same, then its really not a single owner with single location. Do you have evidence to what you claim? I cant seem to find list of all McD franchisees and how many stores. I can only see news about the largest owners and they all own quite a few and dominate an area.
When I had a business and was advertising to other businesses I learned this, it takes some time. I go to the county assessor records tool and punch in the address, which gives the owner. Then I go to the state business registration site and look up their name. In our case, the owner of the one McD in our city has a corporation listed out of another city where he owns a second one, both under the corporate name dba McDonalds of ______city.

Old 02-03-2023, 12:46 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
In a recent SEC filing, McDonald's stated that they had 40,000+ restaurants and 93% (37,000+) were owned by franchisees. That's been the case for a long time.

Old 02-06-2023, 06:31 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
I was traveling yesterday and stopped at a roadside McDonalds: Large fry, basic cheeseburger: $6.40!

You want to pay everyone a living wage, expect to pay for it! You notice I didn't order drink, yeah they were out of carbonation/ no soda drinks available. Burger sucked BTW. People eat at McDonalds because it is fast and cheap, start backing away from those ideas and the customers will back away too!

CEO pay is non-sequitur to wages of a low level employee. I'd bet if you added up all the wages of every low level burger flipper in the country they would make more than the CEO.

Old 02-08-2023, 12:59 PM

211 posts, read 289,590 times
What do you think happens when you pay fast-food employees $22/hour? Let's ponder.

Old 02-08-2023, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I was traveling yesterday and stopped at a roadside McDonalds: Large fry, basic cheeseburger: $6.40!

You want to pay everyone a living wage, expect to pay for it! You notice I didn't order drink, yeah they were out of carbonation/ no soda drinks available. Burger sucked BTW. People eat at McDonalds because it is fast and cheap, start backing away from those ideas and the customers will back away too!

CEO pay is non-sequitur to wages of a low level employee. I'd bet if you added up all the wages of every low level burger flipper in the country they would make more than the CEO.
So you verified that you get what you pay for. My last burger was at a Tipsy Cow in Issaquah, WA, and it was great. !/3 lb. of fresh ground beef, Lettuce, Tomato, Yellow Onion, White Cheddar Cheese and their Sauce, delicious fries, and a nice cold beer. My wife had diet Coke, and the total with tip was $54. McDonalds serves people that want cheap and fast, eliminate either of those traits and they will stop going there. Already we have seen their prices increased and/or "value" items removed to pay for pay increases required to help with the shortage of workers and the "$15 minimum wage" trend. In our state the minimum is now $15.74, companies have to raise prices to pay employees more and maintain some profit, or they will have to close up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business