Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:59 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,928,563 times

Advertisements

Well seeing as how a guy went from paperclip to house just by trading, id say there is some serious potential to make money on ebay

one red paperclip
BBC NEWS | Technology | Man turns paper clip into house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 06:31 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,326,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Ebay is a business. You have to have a product to sell, know your postal system, know your fees and be a good honest business person.

My husband and I have a few niche markets and we have a specialty following of customers. We do it just part time and only when we have the time. Fees are approx. 25% of selling price which compares favorably with auction houses but you have world wide exposure. We sell all over the world and have had no issues (exception is Canada which has a lousy postal system).

However, you have to be a professional and know what you are doing. Start simple and small to work out the kinks.
I had no idea the fee was so high.

I already have a high rating because I have been buying on Ebay for years. I had thought that it would be a good way to pump my rating up for a time when I would sell but that percentage is pretty high. I will have to rethink given that information.

At the moment I have a couple things I can put on Craigslist, things I wouldn't be able to ship.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:18 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,249,558 times
I sold all my maternity clothes on ebay and did very well. To sell on ebay as a business, I think you have to have good sources for your supply and know your product very well.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:27 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,042,099 times
Thanks everyone, off to try it then.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I sold all my maternity clothes on ebay and did very well. To sell on ebay as a business, I think you have to have good sources for your supply and know your product very well.
I could go for awhile just selling what is in my house that I don't want.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,824,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I need a side job, and I have been thinking about selling on ebay. I buy from ebay all the time. I have looked into it a bit but can not get a piece of sound advise from google. lol Anyone sell more than their old stuff on there? Making any money? Thanks
I've been selling online for 4 years full time. I stay away from ebay though because of their fees. When you sell 7+ figures a year, their fees really, really add up.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I've been selling online for 4 years full time. I stay away from ebay though because of their fees. When you sell 7+ figures a year, their fees really, really add up.
What other sites do you sell on and what kind of things generally do you find sell well?

Old 06-11-2008, 09:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,824,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
What other sites do you sell on and what kind of things generally do you find sell well?
Well I am primarily involved in books, dvds, music etc, but I will sell anything I get a good deal on. I concentrate my items on websites that do not charge listing fees, and only take a % of the sales.

I stopped using ebay when I got a $25,000 bill one month for listings.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Well I am primarily involved in books, dvds, music etc, but I will sell anything I get a good deal on. I concentrate my items on websites that do not charge listing fees, and only take a % of the sales.

I stopped using ebay when I got a $25,000 bill one month for listings.
WOW, I have alot of books I would like to sell as well. You must do a really good business.

SO are you going to tell us what sites you use?

Old 06-12-2008, 09:32 AM

4,096 posts, read 11,418,829 times
My 25% was based on an average over a seller with 3000+ feedback and 100% positive. We only accept paypal and their fees are included. Ebay costs with no paypal would be a little less.

Most do not track the actual cost of selling (do not run as a business) and this is a big mistake. We know what we have to buy for to sell at a big enough multiple to achieve a worthwhile profit. You also need to know when a market is saturated and when to move to something else. It is a real skill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business