Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:17 AM

37 posts, read 302,017 times

Advertisements

I am starting a small business and wondering what is the best way to start my website. Who should I go through? Any help would be very appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 11:33 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Will this be an internet-driven business, with selling and other transactions taking place online? If so, invest in a good provider and/or consultant. If the website is just for background information and not to transact business, then any basic site will do. Mine is the latter and I just did it with a template through Yahoo Small Business. You can always upgrade with the same domain name if you choose.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:42 PM

286 posts, read 1,082,161 times
You need three important things
1. register a domain name
2. get a company to host it
3. design the website

I own a couple of internet businesses, did a ton load of research, had many missteps and finally found HostMySite.com to be the best for 1 and 2

Last edited by Global Friend; 09-22-2008 at 06:22 AM..

Old 09-08-2008, 04:04 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,641 times
If all you need is a static website for company info, Google Apps is very easy to use. You can register a domain, have the site hosted on Google's servers and build it yourself. I did that with my own site, although I do plan to make the investment in a more sophisticated site in the next few years. For now, it does the job.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:02 PM

673 posts, read 2,716,772 times
Is your question about establishing a domain or about establishing a (successful) web site?

You can get a lot of people to design the graphics of your web site. But that doesn't make it strategic. To do that, you will have to pay more or give your designer very specific instructions. You can educate yourself.

To work for you, your web site needs to be:
- Visible
- Useful
- Actionable (i.e. have calls to action)
- Measurable

I spent years as a $250/hr. web analytics consultant for Fortune 500 companies. DM me with any specific questions. I do some pro bono. :-)

Old 09-08-2008, 08:38 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray1 View Post
I am starting a small business and wondering what is the best way to start my website. Who should I go through? Any help would be very appreciated.
You might look at this thread on the CD Internet forum.

And as already noted, the need you expect your website to fulfill will drive your decisions.
I am a believer in blogging, Wordpress.com may be a good start, for little dough.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:21 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,161 times
Be sure to hire a professional designer - don't just go for the bargain rate. But be careful and don't be ripped off by people who are way overcharging, either.

Here's a question: Do you want to instantly lose 20% of your potential online customer base? If not, find a designer who understands cross-browser compliance: Patterns of Chaos » Blog Archive » Browser Wars: Why IE still wins

I've been in this business for over 10 years and I've seen a lot of people get screwed because they were ripped off by people who could talk it up, but didn't deliver. Be cautious.

And register the domain yourself. I don't know how many people I've dealt with who didn't do that, then wound up losing the domain because the designer wouldn't release it.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:25 AM

593 posts, read 2,439,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You might look at this thread on the CD Internet forum.

And as already noted, the need you expect your website to fulfill will drive your decisions.
I am a believer in blogging, Wordpress.com may be a good start, for little dough.
I'd also recommend using Wordpress. I use it to host my blog, and it has worked out great bc you can start very simple with it, yet get very complex. Just make sure to get your own domain name, as the other posters have said. That will give you ownership, and it looks more professional too.

Definitely talk to someone you know that is web-savvy and get their help. One thing to remember - you can sometimes trade services with a web designer. i.e... if you are a financial planner/restaurant owner, you can offer your services (doing their taxes for free / giving them free dining) in exchange for theirs (designing your website).

Old 09-12-2008, 07:27 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
I'd also recommend using Wordpress. I use it to host my blog, and it has worked out great bc you can start very simple with it, yet get very complex. Just make sure to get your own domain name, as the other posters have said. That will give you ownership, and it looks more professional too.

Definitely talk to someone you know that is web-savvy and get their help. One thing to remember - you can sometimes trade services with a web designer. i.e... if you are a financial planner/restaurant owner, you can offer your services (doing their taxes for free / giving them free dining) in exchange for theirs (designing your website).
Can Wordpress be used to integrate a blog into one's website that's hosted elsewhere?

I would love to integrate a blog into my own website, which I host on Google's servers through Google apps.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:18 AM

879 posts, read 1,962,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Can Wordpress be used to integrate a blog into one's website that's hosted elsewhere?
Yes, provided your host has PHP and MySQL (most do, I believe).

To download & install Wordpress on your own site, where you can have your own domain name (e.g. yoursite.com) and more control over Wordpress, go to WordPress.ORG. (Alternatively, you may be able to install it easily via your host's control panel via something like Fantastico.)

To have your blog hosted by Wordpress itself, and be limited to a sub-domain name (e.g. yoursite.wordpress.com) go to Wordpress.COM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business