U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:04 PM

23,178 posts, read 25,891,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
What sells now is complete junk for the most part....... they'd rather buy multiple pieces of garbage than save for a single quality purchase.
Which for accessories is true. But even if you purchase most of this junk in quantity its still costs much less than the name brand ones. For example I can purchase a DC adapter for my celly cheaper than me running to Radio Shack and buying a replacement fuse for it.

Quote:
Id say eBay and amazon are pretty much dead for the little guy as far as selling goes.
Pretty much true at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,194,974 times
Ebay has gone way downhill in my opinoin but there's still no where else you can reach that many people.

I buy storage units at auction. I normally make my money back plus hopefully a small profit off larger items tv's furniture, etc on craigsist and then everything else I sell on ebay is 100% profit.

I'l normally start auctions at 99 cents and enough to cover shipping, I could care less what it sells for as its 100% profit for me so the peoplke who rebuy ebay stuff can buy off me and make some coin however with shipping nad everything its gotta be tough for them as well. Free Storage Auction Lists is the website I find out about my auctions from.

I dont like how sellers cant leave feedback anymore, I dont like how everything gets rules in buyers favor and I dont like how ebay offers no way to protect yourself when you have people pick items up or deliver them as you have no tracking number Rules For Rebels: Don't Get Burned by Ebay's Flawed Policy on Local Pick-Up Auctions!!!

Old 06-25-2011, 11:23 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,330,032 times
I think the reason why 95% of ebay "businesses" failed...

-People didn't treat them like real businesses. Big difference between holding a garage sale, vs actually running a business. It's too casual for most people. I.e., inconsistent quality. Inconsistent policies. Overpriced shipping. Lack of honesty in the description.

Some people make money, there's a GI Joe seller (80's toys) that I really like on there. I think he's the most consistent and highest quality seller on the internet. *Trust* is a big issue. I think many people gave away trust for short term profits. I.e., over charging on shipping or lack of honest in their listings.

-A lot of people expected perfection....I dont know...too much faith in the internet? Of course their fees are going to change...much like how rent changes in brick and mortar.

-The error people made is not specializing and sticking with a very narrow niche. If theres a million generic competitiors, you've got to have a reason to do business with someone. If there's 20 garage sales on the same block on the same day...why would you expect everyone to rush over to yours?

-Also, I think people have been burned out on consumerism. Seems like the ebay window was pretty small...about 1998 to 2005 or so.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

-People didn't treat them like real businesses. Big difference between holding a garage sale, vs actually running a business. It's too casual for most people. I.e., inconsistent quality. Inconsistent policies. Overpriced shipping. Lack of honesty in the description.

Some people make money, there's a GI Joe seller (80's toys) that I really like on there. I think he's the most consistent and highest quality seller on the internet. *Trust* is a big issue. I think many people gave away trust for short term profits. I.e., over charging on shipping or lack of honest in their listings.

-A lot of people expected perfection....I dont know...too much faith in the internet? Of course their fees are going to change...much like how rent changes in brick and mortar.

-The error people made is not specializing and sticking with a very narrow niche. If theres a million generic competitiors, you've got to have a reason to do business with someone. If there's 20 garage sales on the same block on the same day...why would you expect everyone to rush over to yours?

-Also, I think people have been burned out on consumerism. Seems like the ebay window was pretty small...about 1998 to 2005 or so.
Technically there's no benefit to charging high shipping any longer because ebay has started charging final value fees on shipping.

Personally I still like to charge a hefty shipping charge. There's a good number of buyers out there who work the system and buy items and then claim they didn't get them even though they did if you don't buy tracking or say it's not as described even if it si. Ebay will always side with a buyer.

At least when you charge shipping the buyer can't charge back the shipping so it makes it less attractive to pull these scams on me as opposed to someone who offers free shipping and the buyer getts 100% of their money back.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:17 AM

3,327 posts, read 3,705,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

I don't think anyone's really failed. Ebay has just changed from garage sale type folks to more "professional" (as in making a living) sellers.

Back in the day I could always find deals on ebay ( garage sale type sellers aren't looking to maximize profit) and wide variety of interesting items. Nowadays it's no different than shopping on Amazon or going into a Best Buy.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I don't think anyone's really failed. Ebay has just changed from garage sale type folks to more "professional" (as in making a living) sellers.

Back in the day I could always find deals on ebay ( garage sale type sellers aren't looking to maximize profit) and wide variety of interesting items. Nowadays it's no different than shopping on Amazon or going into a Best Buy.
You make a good point. I thought a lot ofthe draw of ebay was not that it was like a store, if I want to shop at a normal store I'll go to amazon or even walk into target or walmart.

What was cool about ebay is everyone had uniqe items, collectibles, things you couldn't find elsewhere.

Now ebay is a handful of power selling drop shippers all selling the same cheap crap mp3 players from china. It's a pain looking for unique things because you have to sort through 10 pages of the same item over and over.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:50 PM

3,327 posts, read 3,705,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
You make a good point. I thought a lot ofthe draw of ebay was not that it was like a store, if I want to shop at a normal store I'll go to amazon or even walk into target or walmart.

What was cool about ebay is everyone had uniqe items, collectibles, things you couldn't find elsewhere.

Now ebay is a handful of power selling drop shippers all selling the same cheap crap mp3 players from china. It's a pain looking for unique things because you have to sort through 10 pages of the same item over and over.
You're exactly right.
I barely purchase from Ebay anymore. The last incentive for Americans o Ebay is the lack of tax being charged for a number of states.

I/m curious as to those who regularly use Ebay. Why? Why not Amazon (with prime) which is clearly superior? Is it the lack of products? Is it mostly used goods?

The PayPal end is a great business though.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:37 AM

378 posts, read 793,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukhtar Bashir Rind View Post
may i know what is Ebay?
Ebay is an on-line auction site (take a look here eBay) where people can sell anything and everything, starting from their used clothes and shoes and ending with furniture and houses.
Let's say you have an MP3 player you want to sell and I want to buy one, but we live in different states (or countries).
I will go to Ebay to see if there is an MP3 player for sale and I will find one that you listed (preferably with a good picture and detailed description ).
If I agree with your price and shipping charges, I will place a bid for the player. There is a chance that someone else wants this item as well, and they will place a bid higher than mine. At this point I have an option to give up or to increase my next bid.
If the item is popular and there are several people bidding on it, the seller usually makes good money.
The site used to be very popular, it connected sellers and buyers from all over the world, but things have changed, there are not as many shoppers as before, due to global economic slowdown people don't have the extra money to spend on shopping, many buy necessities only.
But in short, that's what Ebay is.
Hope this helps

Old 09-18-2011, 12:13 AM

33,031 posts, read 23,449,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
eBay commissions are off the hook. I sold my laptop for $200 and paid a little over $20 in commissions (no extra listing fees). Insane. Last time I use ebay to sell anything. I'm now doing it on craigslist or donating it.

Prices are often considerably higher on eBay than on craigslist - for computers often at least 25 percent higher.

Thing is, buyers tend to have more confidence when buying on eBay than on CL, because on eBay you theoretically have recourse if the seller gives you a lemon or otherwise rips you off.

Generally I'd be willing to pay $20 or so more for a laptop on eBay than for the same laptop on CL.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:39 AM

33,031 posts, read 23,449,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
The hottest item on eBay always has been and remains, books. Movies also move quickly. Many jewelry items are shipped direct from China and it's tough to beat prices against China.

Pawn shops of the world use eBay to get rid of things that would otherwise just linger in their stores.

Self-employed people turn to eBay when their in-store sales droop. That's where they get new with tags items, from their own inventory. Some physical stores have an "all sales final" approach and if something doesn't fit, the option is to sell it on eBay or aqt a garage sale.

Yes, people can make money on eBay, but it takes a winning product, a great price, a deal on shipping and knowledge of the item.

Yes, if it's hard to sell locally (e.g. thin local market) and it's easy/cheap to ship, eBay is a great place to sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or