U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 12:56 AM

32,019 posts, read 35,325,714 times

Advertisements

I ONLY sell on ebay for pocket money, I never make much but I figure if I can clear at least $10 after shipping and whatnot it's better than giving something to the Goodwill. I have a couple hobbies and interests and I buy a lot of stuff from there only to turn around and sell it again when I'm tired of it, and it doesn' matter if it's used (for buying or selling) so I can indulge and not break the bank . I also turn to ebay when I an older product that isn't being made anymore. I've found several things that were new or like new that have been out of production for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 04:07 PM

913 posts, read 781,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
The hottest item on eBay always has been and remains, books. Movies also move quickly. Many jewelry items are shipped direct from China and it's tough to beat prices against China.

Pawn shops of the world use eBay to get rid of things that would otherwise just linger in their stores.

Self-employed people turn to eBay when their in-store sales droop. That's where they get new with tags items, from their own inventory. Some physical stores have an "all sales final" approach and if something doesn't fit, the option is to sell it on eBay or aqt a garage sale.

Yes, people can make money on eBay, but it takes a winning product, a great price, a deal on shipping and knowledge of the item.
i agree, ebay is the life support system for loads of pawn shops who need to dispose of lingering inventory. other than that, unless you have a unique product i'd stay away from ebay. their fees are ridiculous.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
When is the last time you used ebay? They totally changed the feedback system. No neg feedback, so how would you know?

The whole ebay system is designed to make money. That's why they don't get rid of all those sellers selling fake Hermes scarves. They want to rake in the commissions.

Ebay can kiss my tail.

*barking*
i'm sorry woof, if you're buying hermes at knock down prices on ebay, what do you expect? buyers can still leave negative feedback as far as i know. i have bought loads of stuff on ebay and have been more satisfied than i am with most stores. yes, i stay away from most branded stuff esp if it's new and really cheap.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I actually work for a huge power seller on eBay and amazon.
It's all about volume now because the margins are minuscule. Also amazon FBA has become huge. Th company does about 120 million ( about 100 employees) in revenue a year. Even though the company does a lot of business on eBay and amazon we get very little, if any, special treatment. The truth is if we were to go the sales will be filled by others anyways. eBay and amazon clearly know this.

What sells now is complete junk for the most part. Americans are so addicted to consuming that even when they're discretionary income is down, they'd rather buy multiple pieces of garbage than save for a single quality purchase.

Id say eBay and amazon are pretty much dead for the little guy as far as selling goes.

i don't agree with you. if you're selling ipod chargers, digital cameras or toasters, perhaps ebay is not for you. if you're selling used goods or you're a manufacturer using ebay to market your product, ebay is still a great place to sell. they need to do something about their fees though!

Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
I dont like how sellers cant leave feedback anymore, I dont like how everything gets rules in buyers favor and I dont like how ebay offers no way to protect yourself when you have people pick items up or deliver them as you have no tracking number Rules For Rebels: Don't Get Burned by Ebay's Flawed Policy on Local Pick-Up Auctions!!!

thanks for posting this. i have sold a few furniture items on ebay and have always taken cash. i won't list anything again until they change this. i could've been taken for a few grand if i'd sold to crooked buyers.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:08 AM

59,055 posts, read 77,855,614 times
well i dont run a biz on ebay but every time i get a new toy and use it for awhile i sell it for 1/2 what i paid instead of leaving it in the garage. it adds up.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:00 PM

3,866 posts, read 5,535,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
well i dont run a biz on ebay but every time i get a new toy and use it for awhile i sell it for 1/2 what i paid instead of leaving it in the garage. it adds up.
I'm thinking of doing the very same thing. I have (literally) a closet full of very nice clothes that I wore when I worked in an office. My next career will be much more casual, and I just don't need skirts and dresses like I once did. I will try combining complete outfits with shoes and matching jewelry and see how that goes.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 PM

3,853 posts, read 11,930,153 times
I buy stuff on ebay in bulk and then I resell it individually.

The specific items i buy and sell are top secret, however (I don't like competition).

Old 04-25-2013, 10:43 PM

5 posts, read 9,629 times
You don't have to sell anything to make money on EBay. Been making 70k+ a year helping people find what they want on EBay. Just had to be creative and figure out a way to do that on auto-pilot.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:41 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,908,978 times
How do you do that exactly? Are you talking about being an affiliate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or