Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 04:09 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,158,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
i don't agree with you. if you're selling ipod chargers, digital cameras or toasters, perhaps ebay is not for you. if you're selling used goods or you're a manufacturer using ebay to market your product, ebay is still a great place to sell. they need to do something about their fees though!
this is pretty accurate.
if you're selling something that isn't very unique say phone chargers, movies, video games, toys etc the margins are very low.if you're selling a service, buying up broken items and fixing them or unique/limited item you can make a decent margin.

ebay won't do anything about the fees bc they don't have to. their fees suck which is why i rarely use them.well that and the fact they make you take paypal.if im selling something for 50 or 100 bucks im not really worried about a charge back.but for example a few years ago i sold 3 strips of tickets for all the events at the mlb all star game.i could have gotten a little more on ebay but i wasn't gonna risk a 3500 dollar charge back with paypal.they just make it too easy for the buy to say they never got them, or the tickets werent in the package etc.

i knew someone who for a while was buying broken ipods on ebay for 5-10 bucks fixing them and reselling them for 75 bucks each.he said most of the time it just needed a new battery which apple makes a pita to change, so people would just think the ipod was broken and wouldnt bother figuring out why. he said maybe 10-15 pct of the ones he bought were just totally unfixable but that was a cost of doing business. more people caught on to this so the broken ones started selling for more money, an the used ones started selling for less so it wasn't really worth it for him any more.

i would say most people who make money on ebay at this point are doing it through volume

Last edited by bxlefty23; 10-22-2013 at 04:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,326,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You're a bit late to the party.

I started on eBay in 1999. Made decent money selling unwanted items around the house, many of them new. You really need to be professional about it all, keep your feedback rating at 100%, get good at packaging and taking good photos, and most of all, discipline yourself to get to the PO the day after you get paid, to mail that stuff off quickly.

It's the equivalent of the old days' putting ads in the paper to sell stuff, but on the internet. The idea caught on, and eBay came into being. Its heyday was 2000 - 2007. The best time of year is now, just before the holidays. It's dead all summer.

Like everything good, the IRS got interested in it. Now they do track your sales, and if you sell over a certain amount (not sure what it is), it will be reported to the IRS.

At any rate, eBay is no longer what it was. People don't have the discretionary income any more.

I think PayPal is required to report your receipts to IRS if you receive $10,000 or more in a calendar year.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:09 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,398,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I think PayPal is required to report your receipts to IRS if you receive $10,000 or more in a calendar year.
It's $20,000 plus 200 transactions
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/ma...ng_us/IRS6050W

And all online venues that collect payment for their sellers are required to do this. Amazon too.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:13 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,063,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
How do you do that exactly? Are you talking about being an affiliate?
yeah ebay has an affiliate program. you can setup a site that does reviews, get people to your site to read reviews and select a product they get a cookie on their computer and when they go to ebay and buy you get a cut. this can be pretty profitable. i do this with currency and coins such as iraqi dinar, vietnam dong, silver coins, etc.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:23 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,783,334 times
I made money on Ebay selling products from my hobby that I knew had value. I would do what business do...purchase inexpensively and sell for profit after overhead. Basically, I became an expert in the field I was selling to know what was desirable and generated profit.

This was strictly part-time evening work as a hobby. The most I netted annually was a bit less than $12000. Last year I only netted $8900 or so. This year about $6500 thus far.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:36 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,320,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I made money on Ebay selling products from my hobby that I knew had value. I would do what business do...purchase inexpensively and sell for profit after overhead. Basically, I became an expert in the field I was selling to know what was desirable and generated profit.

This was strictly part-time evening work as a hobby. The most I netted annually was a bit less than $12000. Last year I only netted $8900 or so. This year about $6500 thus far.
That seems like good advice. Niching down, learning about particular types of products.

Hard to be a generalist and know about everything.

You say only $8,900..but that can help to pay quite a few bills/expenses i'm sure.

Of course with everything you gotta decide if it's worth it, but anytime you can make money with a hobby that's pretty cool.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:49 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,783,334 times
Thanks and yes the extra monies were put to use to remodel the house. Ebay business took a hit in 2008 in terms of reduction in buy/sell prices. It was a good time to accumulate inventory as folks were inexpensively selling their previous high price purchases and the situation has improved for my segment in the previous two years but not to pre-2008 levels. Also Ebay's acqusition of PayPal and their rule revisions have reduced marginal profit gained from shipping and increased buyer criticism of a seller. One could prefer check or money order now it has to be PayPal and their 3% in addition to Ebay's 10%. FYI, Amazon is 15% flat fee with a shipping credit provided to the seller unless Amazon fulfills for the seller.

It was also fun in terms of building knowledge and become extremely astute to a good business deal.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:04 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,723,210 times
I worked with a guy who quit a full time job with benefits to devote full time to selling on the internet. ( 2003)

He made daily ( sometimes twice a day trips to the post office )

He stated he always had nearly 50 items at all times listed on e-bay.
Most of his stuff is low priced items under $100.

I asked where he finds all the stuff , he replied .........." that's a trade secret "
He stated he no longer will tell his dad because his dad blabbers too much.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:10 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,158,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Thanks and yes the extra monies were put to use to remodel the house. Ebay business took a hit in 2008 in terms of reduction in buy/sell prices. It was a good time to accumulate inventory as folks were inexpensively selling their previous high price purchases and the situation has improved for my segment in the previous two years but not to pre-2008 levels. Also Ebay's acqusition of PayPal and their rule revisions have reduced marginal profit gained from shipping and increased buyer criticism of a seller. One could prefer check or money order now it has to be PayPal and their 3% in addition to Ebay's 10%. FYI, Amazon is 15% flat fee with a shipping credit provided to the seller unless Amazon fulfills for the seller.

It was also fun in terms of building knowledge and become extremely astute to a good business deal.
yes and not only did they used to let you get paid in checks/money orders but the actual ebay fees themselves were less,fees weren't charged on shipping and when you get paid with check/money order/cash it's a lot harder for the buy to ********* over than it is w paypal.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,571 times
Hello everybody,

How to find good wholesale, what the better researching online or offline?

Can you share your experience and what I need to be aware of.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business