Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 08:54 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,634,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post

My job is service-oriented and thus I do not have to have a tax ID number in Arizona (where they don't tax services). Any prints I give out are FREE with the payment for services - again avoiding taxes.
Does NC require a tax ID number? Does anyone know?

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 07-07-2007 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 08:34 PM

10 posts, read 26,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorman1610 View Post
Are there many people out there that have started their own home based business? If so, what kind of business and how did you get started?

-Mike
Hi Mike,

I personally never thought about working from home, but my mother-in-law did. She talked me into starting a business with her a little over 2 years ago. Now, I have to tell you -- we looked at a TON of companies before we found the right one! Most of them were MLM's. Most of them were not something that we could see ourselves doing. Moderator cut: self-promotion
I said all of that because I totally agree with the others here who told you to find something that you like doing and go from there. I personally love travel and so do a lot of other people, so that's what we went with.

There are many very good ways to work from home. You just have to be creative and work hard!

I hope this helps a little!

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 06-23-2007 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: Please do not reference your personal blog.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:37 AM

132 posts, read 536,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorman1610 View Post
Are there many people out there that have started their own home based business? If so, what kind of business and how did you get started?

-Mike
When I started dating my current g/f, I noticed that her dad didn't really have a job, but I was afraid to ask, since it's none of my business. She really never brought it up, because I never asked.

He was always home, woke up whenever he wanted to, always going on trips to Tahiti, so it bugged me and had to ask what he did for a living. He had just bought a 800k home in Plano, TX, and I was pretty impressed. My g/f said he has a home-based business.

I approached him and asked him to describe what he does. He told me his business is access marketing. After his presentation, I told myself "I can do this!" I don't have to worry about taking out a loan, or having employees, or any headaches from a traditional business. I signed up right away, and haven't regretted it since.

I'm convinced, having your own home-based biz is the way to go. Things are going so well for me right now, I'm giving myself 2 years to quit my job.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:35 AM

3,252 posts, read 9,156,148 times
My husband and I also have a home based business...removing spyware/adware from computers. Very portable Actually we were based in both NC and MI and just moved from MI to NC. Our MI Tax ID will expire in Sept and we are not renewing it since we aren't there.

We work when we want/need to and put it on hold when we need to...it's been on hold while we move. Liz

Old 07-04-2007, 12:15 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,691,718 times
My husband is a licensed architect and we are working out of our home. We have had, in the past, many years of very expensive office space and employees to worry about. Not having the overhead is wonderful and I am very happy. He is making noises about opening up another office but I am not sure I want to go back to that.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,342 times
Smile Reply to Home Business Question

I have started 2 home businesses - url removed and url removed.

I started both businesses after being introdcued to the companies by personal acquaintances: 1) my sister-in-law and 2) a friend who is a civil engineer by profession and who after starting a home business was able to achieve six figure earnings after working the business for 24 months in his spare time.

Last edited by Marka; 07-07-2007 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: advertising is not allowed here

Old 07-07-2007, 06:39 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,525,754 times
I guess it depends what you call a home based business...

But after being in the Apartment industry for 12 years as we do all the trades which includes cleaning carpets i plan to run my own Carpet Cleaning business from my home and my cell phone will be my secretary. Lots of on the job training all these years so i'm excited to start it soon and also saved my money so i'll owe nothing when i purchase equiptment and/or franchise......

At 43 its time to finally work for myself and so we'll see what happens in the near future........

Old 07-08-2007, 11:30 AM

10 posts, read 26,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonibiz View Post
When I started dating my current g/f, I noticed that her dad didn't really have a job, but I was afraid to ask, since it's none of my business. She really never brought it up, because I never asked.

He was always home, woke up whenever he wanted to, always going on trips to Tahiti, so it bugged me and had to ask what he did for a living. He had just bought a 800k home in Plano, TX, and I was pretty impressed. My g/f said he has a home-based business.

I approached him and asked him to describe what he does. He told me his business is access marketing. After his presentation, I told myself "I can do this!" I don't have to worry about taking out a loan, or having employees, or any headaches from a traditional business. I signed up right away, and haven't regretted it since.

I'm convinced, having your own home-based biz is the way to go. Things are going so well for me right now, I'm giving myself 2 years to quit my job.
That's awesome!!! I am glad things are going so well for you. You should definately be able to quit your job in 2 years - I was able to quit my job in just over 1.

Your goal is a great one!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,356 times
Small office home office

Old 09-14-2007, 01:24 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,128,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonibiz View Post
He told me his business is access marketing.

Care to share what access marketing is? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business