Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 07:37 AM

27 posts, read 94,860 times

Advertisements

Are there many people out there that have started their own home based business? If so, what kind of business and how did you get started?

-Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 02:58 AM

22 posts, read 114,218 times
Default Been trying

It's not easy, I still have yet to find something that will really work out of the home. Don't do multi-level-marketing and don't do medical billing, it's all lots of hype and no money or hard to get started. That's all for now...
IslandGirl

Old 02-16-2007, 07:26 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,636,943 times
Mike, take inventory of yourself. Take a look at what you're good at, what you like to do, what your experience is. Have you ever said to yourself, "I wish somebody would make that!" or, "I wish somebody would do such-and-such..." Take look at what product or service you can offer to people that they really need. As the saying goes, "invention is the mother of necessity."
Discover what you really love to do and then do it. When it comes to work (and we all have to work) here's probably nothing more satisfying than loving your job.
Good luck.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:28 PM

191 posts, read 999,837 times
Mike

not sure what this has to do with this forum but I agree with Southward bound. Myself, I found Decoraitng to be a very nice business to do from home.

Good luck

Old 02-22-2007, 06:21 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,193,139 times
To be successful in anything, especially a BUSINESS, where your success is based on your passion and willingness to treat your business like a job, meaning you show up every day in order to EVENTUALLY get paid, you must love what you pick.

In response to "multi-level marketing" and/or medical billing being scams, or not working - whatever - because I personally know people that are six and seven figure income earners in network marketing; they all have been in it for a long time. I myself have been in network marketing for over 10 years. It's not an easy business, but I do make money. Don't do network marketing if you're thin skinned, if you listen to losers who are more broke than you are, and if you can't stay in for at least 2 to 3 years.

I don't know about medical billing, but I know several women personally who have been each doing medical transcription for over 30 years. They have in high demand and earn close to $100 K per year. Hear me, I said they've been in it for over 30 years and are in high demand; they are highly skilled and qualified, and their work is impeccable. I'm not saying that someone who just starts out will even get a job working medical transcription from home, much less earn $100 K.

Over the years, I've known a whole boatload of people that have been in and out of home-based business. Most are out now because of various reasons; reasons which I don't have the time or willingness to list.

All I know is that the days of a gold watch after 30-40 years of faithful employment are gone.

FYI, my professional background is in Corporate Accounting; I am a corporate accountant. I've seen the stuff that happens in the mahogony row of corporate offices; the office politics, the lying, conniving, scheming in order to keep jobs and/or climb the corporate ladder. If you're a female, double everything that goes for a male, and you still won't make as much in the same position.

With all of that said, follow your passion, and don't listen to others when it comes to making YOUR choice.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:44 AM

62 posts, read 321,321 times
I would highley recommend preparing a business plan if you are considering going into busines. If you have never prepared a business plan, many times your local college offers a 6 week course where you will actually walk through all of the steps. If the class is done correctly, you will determine first if you are capable of running your own business and second if the business you choose is eve viable. I would highly recommend you check out the NC REAL web site. REAL stand for North Carolina Rural Entrepreneurship through
Action Learning. They support entrepreneurs and offer programs. One of the best programs around in my opinion.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:24 AM

27 posts, read 94,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaPGH View Post
Mike

not sure what this has to do with this forum but I agree with Southward bound. Myself, I found Decoraitng to be a very nice business to do from home.

Good luck
Well, i'm considering North Carolina to move down to, so it's sort of relevant

Old 02-22-2007, 05:10 PM

823 posts, read 3,912,947 times
cindyj,
Thanks for the information about NC Real.

alice

Old 03-12-2007, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,219 times
I am currently a medical transcription student with CareerStep program online. The main problem is when you finished with the course, most companies will wave the 1-5 year experience you otherwise need to applied for. If you do not complete an traning program, MT is impossible to get into, because they will not hire you. I am currently looking for a job as a MT, until I finish the program, and so far I haven't had any luck.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:25 AM

485 posts, read 556,009 times
I have a home based business, although it isn't a livelihood as much as a hobby and additional source of income.

It is good to have something portable that isn't area-restricted if possible. That way, if you have to move at any time, your years of investment are not lost.

My business is photo restoration and design: Photography and Photo restoration services in Arizona, the Southwest,California, Nevada, New Mexico, Michigan, Maine, Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Missouri, Utah, Florida, Georgia, Carolina, Vermont, New Hampshire, Ohio, I

I have been successful with it here in Arizona and I believe it will be fine in North Carolina, too. It takes time or money or both to build a business. I use time as I have very little money. Word of mouth and references work very well.

I also use car magnet signs. Those have gotten me some jobs.

Business cards that can be left every time you eat out or that can be dropped in stores or elsewhere can also bring in some jobs.

My job is service-oriented and thus I do not have to have a tax ID number in Arizona (where they don't tax services). Any prints I give out are FREE with the payment for services - again avoiding taxes.

Good luck with your ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business