U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,067 times

Advertisements

The BBB is a joke. They're like the towns drunken bum trying to direct traffic.....I own a business in WV and after 18 years and thousands of satisfied customers one...that's right ONE person complains to the BBB because I refused to do repair work that was 3+years out of warranty. These people called from a different number and pretended to be someone else until they got me into their house to work....I didn't recognize them because I'd met them 8 years ago. The woman stated that the coatings had failed on their bathtub years ago but I had not returned to do the repairs when she called about it.That's when I remembered who they were.8 years ago I had to do the job twice for them, then go back and spend a half day polishing and trying to make their bathtub PERFECT. I hadn't gone back to do repair work because when she called their 5-year warranty was over. She tried to argue that the coatings simply bubbled up on their own before the warranty expiration but the damage was clearly man-made. Something heavy had been dropped in their bathtub and chipped the coatings. So basically this woman is calling me a crook and a liar while in fact she was the one lying and had pretended to be someone else to get me to come back to her house.. I did not want to do any more work for these people so I told her I couldn't do the job. At that time her husband came into the room. I guess he was listening from the hallway. He began yelling at me..."We've had trouble with you before and I'm going to call the better business bureau..etc etc..." I quickly realized my situation so I made for the door. He followed me outside menacing me. He ran up on me and acted like he was going to punch me when I was trying to get into my truck. I told him that if he attacked me I would defend myself....He stopped. Then he started yelling that he was going to call the better business bureau...I replied.."and tell them what"...well we had a bit of an argument...words were exchange...I told him to never call me again and I left....About ten days later I get an email from the BBB stating that there was a complaint filed against me by these people...and the BBB required a response from me to help settle this complaint...I have been in business for a long time so I know all about the BBB...They call me every year trying to get me to pay for an endorsement from them...a MEMBERSHIP FEE. They start the call by trying to make you feel like you're in some kind of trouble so that by the time they hit you up for money to be a member you're so happy to not be in hot water you'll gladly hand over that 400 for a membership...No Thanks. The complaint these people made was filled with half-truths and lies, and of course they left out the underhanded way they lured me into their home and all the insulting things they said and the fact that this womans husband assaulted me....They wanted a written apology.... I guess the couldn't ask for money because I didn't do any work for them and they didn't pay me a dime...The only person out anything was me...I lost a days work and fuel cost as well as wear and tear on my vehicle.. I called the BBB and asked them why they would even forward a complaint like this in which there was no transaction...the woman I spoke with talked to me with the attitude that she was the teacher and I was the student...( my kids are probably older that her.and certainly more educated). She explained that this was a customer service issue....I told her that there was no way she could know the FACTS about this incident and that the complaint was filled with half truths and lies. She said well that's why you have an opportunity to respond to the complaint and hopefully we can get this resolved for you...What?..there's nothing to resolve. What am I supposed to do?, give them a refund?...They didn't pay for anything! Written apology?,..to someone who insulted and attacked me and are now lying about what happened....? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. I told the woman I spoke with at the BBB that these people would not be getting an apology from me. I then asked her what would happen next. She said we would have to wait and see but if I filled out and sent in an application form to become a member of the BBB my rating would probably be an A+......So there you have it. Go figure......There are a lot of money making schemes out there. At some point someone thought of a way to extort money from business owners and named it the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU..(notice how the word BUREAU makes you immediately think...GOVERNMENT AGENCY)..The BBB is a vehicle for people like this to harm other peoples lives. They only take complaints...not positive reviews...They claim to be non-profit but their CEO's receive six digit incomes..They claim to be fair but their members pay their salaries. If that's not a conflict of interest I don't know what is. They'll try to snow you over with their politically correctness but in the end they're just another scam......Be careful who you deal with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 10:19 AM

28,900 posts, read 48,683,325 times
No. Complete and utter waste of time and effort. The BBB chapter in my city is useless.

About the only thing they are halfway good at is arbitration.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,075 posts, read 60,089,538 times
We had a bad experience with a US made TV headquartered in Orange County CA, and got no help from the BBB at first. Their response was "no response from the company." Because this appeared to be a widespread quality/lack of customer service issue, we started a facebook page and encouraged others with the problems to write to the BBB. We also posted 2-3 times a day on their facebook page. After about two weeks the BBB rating went from A to F. Eventually, the BBB site took down the page for this company. When it came back up it was clearly defined as licensed manufacturer, TVs made in China and not part of the actual US company whose name goes back decades. It took me another 6 months to get a refund, but I feel like at least the F rating by BBB might do some good if people checked it before buying from this company. That's about all they are good for, they didn't have any actual impact on my case, but neither did the state attorney general. It was the big social media blitz that did it.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:00 AM

4,004 posts, read 5,002,974 times
Pretty much everything you get done servicewise runs over budget. An estimate is only an estimate. Did he tell you throughout the project things were going to run over? Did he say upfront if such and such is the case it will be much higher. My dad had a guy redoing his bathroom, gave an estimate. Then my dad decided to get slate tiles which can't be cut with a wheel tile cutter you need a wet saw and its much more labor intensive. The guy told him yeah im happy to do that but its not gonna come in at the estimate he had to bring in another guy and the project probably ran an extra day because of that.

As for BBB pretty much nobody uses them. Everyone knows they have turned into an extorition company. Basically if your willing to pay them like $600 you get a good rep otherwise you dont. I dont know anyone who checks with BBB or takes them seriously except for maybe older people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or