Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:29 AM

290 posts, read 637,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Oh, who needs all those stores anyway? Time to hunker down, pay off debt and save.

Actually, this is welcome news to me. I am tired of this consumerist society - packed parking lots, people buying crap they don't need. The only thing worth investing in are things that will hold their value. I wish everyone would just pay down their mortgages and pay off their debt. Time to start being adults.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/animated%20gifs/068307001230378307-final.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 06:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I predict that the next generations of Americans are going to be much more entrepreneurial than the vast majority of the boomer generation. They will have a preference to start and operate their own business vs working for and retiring from a large corporation. Large corporations will still be a big part of everyone's life (probably driving the online economy of the future), but I foresee many more small but successful niche businesses with physical presence in every population center.

Will mom and pop stores thus make a comeback? You bet. The negative affects of large-scale retail corporations on local economies are now well known and understood (no longer just theory). This realization has been over 20 years in the making and within another 20 state and local legislation will favor small and medium sized businesses to such a degree that they'll compete well with the Wal-Marts of the world.

I think you need to look again as the boomers made small businesses the trademark of their generatioon. Look at the statistics in the last few decades;small business has created more jobs than big businesss in this country.The numbers are staggering especailly during the last two decades alone. Like always there were alot of failures but the numbers of successful small businesses has never been greater.Do they compete with the wal-marts ;of course not they find the niche that has made them successful. Are they like mom and pop stores of the 20's thru 60's ;of course not times have changed and the types of businesses also except for comvenince stores. This begs the question;where have you been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business