U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 03:33 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,623,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
The date at the bottom is a copyright date and a copyright if registered is good for 80 years.
You don't need to register something for it to be copyright protected in the US. Officially registering it within 3 month of publication will give you more power if you ever need to sue though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 06:59 PM

10,424 posts, read 46,075,300 times
Ok thanks for all your input. I figured out how to do the whois. On whois.net it says the site is currently NOT registered and for $9.95 it is available. Is it that easy? Nawwwww.....no way. Cant be.

For those who asked. It is not really a commerce site but rather a fishing site for a specific large lake near me. It does have some google ads on the page but at least a couple of the advertisers have long gone out of business. How long can a site remain up if no one pays? Why would some one pay if they dont maintain and update?

Maybe your all also right that I can make my own. But how to get it in the top 5 or 10 results. Few people go through pages and pages of google hits.

Thanks in advance....

Old 01-05-2009, 09:10 PM

Based on all the info you all have provided I learned more and more. I did find the registered owner and it has 2 years left to expire. However I found a good 2nd choice I would love to have. It expires in under one year and on that whois page is an option to make an offer to purchase that site. Whois notifies the owner and acts as a middle man in the transaction for a 5% fee.

Here is where it over my head. A line says offers as low as $19. Then whois gives an estimated value of $23,000. What are they berserk? How does one determine value? The owners personal information is listed on whois and is actually local. Is it proper to contact them directly?

Im a business owner. If I sold my business it would be equpt plus a whole lot of good will. Are web sites valued on good will of the potential of future google ads?

Last edited by desertsun41; 01-05-2009 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 01-06-2009, 06:52 AM

673 posts, read 2,531,188 times
Web sites are valued by the results they produce. And transacting sales is more valuable than getting leads (potential sales). Regardless, the web site doesn't provide value alone. There are a lot of activities that go into driving traffic to the web site - including constant work to achieve and maintain SEO ranking.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaauger View Post
Web sites are valued by the results they produce. And transacting sales is more valuable than getting leads (potential sales). Regardless, the web site doesn't provide value alone. There are a lot of activities that go into driving traffic to the web site - including constant work to achieve and maintain SEO ranking.
The owner of the site simply provides info on a tourist location on this site. She also advertises her Real Estate appraisal company on this site by link. There are only 2 other links to businesses which I assume might not be free to those advertisers.

I want to build on an idea and her lack of information by my exceptiona knowledge on the subject. I believe I can get more traffic to the site easily and at that point place some google ads on it that are related to the site.

What does it cost yearly to maintain a site? What should a local business pay you to provide a link to their business.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:43 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,623,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Maybe your all also right that I can make my own. But how to get it in the top 5 or 10 results. Few people go through pages and pages of google hits.
By creating a web page that people want to read. There is no magic way to get your website ranked highly, that would make the search engines pretty pointless. Anytime someone finds a way to exploit it they change their algorithms.

Of course there are a variety of things to do to help your website get ranked better, read about SEO for details.

Quote:
What does it cost yearly to maintain a site?
That depends on who is doing it and the nature of the website.

Quote:
What should a local business pay you to provide a link to their business.
$0 if you don't have any traffic. The amount of money you can get for ads is directly related to how much traffic you get. Don't expect to get much at all if you don't have good traffic.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:42 PM

673 posts, read 2,531,188 times
Agreed. You have to have quantity and quality when it comes to traffic. And you have to prove it to prospective advertisers.

Then you need to read up on affiliate marketing. Will type of ads will you allow? Will you charge by click, impression or transaction? How will you measure and report these actions to your partners? How will you bill and collect fees?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:50 PM

242 posts, read 681,831 times
just go to registrar.com or gogdaddy.com and think of a good name for a website.
Buy it for 9.99 a year.

Then geta cheap shared server or vps or even dedicated from 6-100 dollars a month.

Find a programmer or do it yourself and start your own site.

Why buy an existing one? It ain't as busy as you think. Just not worth it.
Now, buying a business is different. If you buy the business it can cost you but you get an income.
If it is just a domain name, it is not worth buying.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguywho View Post
just go to registrar.com or gogdaddy.com and think of a good name for a website.
Buy it for 9.99 a year.

Then geta cheap shared server or vps or even dedicated from 6-100 dollars a month.

Find a programmer or do it yourself and start your own site.

Why buy an existing one? It ain't as busy as you think. Just not worth it.
Now, buying a business is different. If you buy the business it can cost you but you get an income.
If it is just a domain name, it is not worth buying.
That makes sense. But the answer to "why" is because it is known already? It is the perfect name. Those available domain names for $9.95 are some pretty bad names.

But thanks again to all those trying to help me. Im still listening to more facts and ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or