Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 08:54 AM

8 posts, read 41,403 times

Advertisements

Everytime I go to Gatlinburg the streets are full of people and the cars are bumper to bumper. Is Gatlinburg doing well during this downturn or are all these people merely walking and driving to get away from home? I am thinking about starting a small business when I retire and want to know if this might be the place to do it? Does anyone know how businesses are doing in Gatlinburg?

Last edited by Nashville Cat; 01-12-2009 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 08:58 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,028 times
What kind of business are you going to start? gatlinburg is a tourist town

Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 AM

8 posts, read 41,403 times
Something suitable for the area, food service or retail of some type of specialty items.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:47 PM

377 posts, read 1,063,048 times
My mother in law works in a dinner theater there and she said last fall around October is was slower than usual and they were worried but it picked back up around the Holiday and it was better than ever. My husbands grew up there and his family is still there and I've been there a lot. Yes, it is a huge tourist area and very busy. The traffic can be really terrible but it is very beautiful with the smokies and Dollywood is awesome. In my opinion I think a good business would be some type of food delivery to the hotels. Where your service picks up what they order from a restaurant and delivers to their room. At the end of a busy day especially those with small children I think would be more than willing to pay for restaurant food delivered to the comforts of their hotel suite. There are some great restaurants there and it gets so crowded at times I really think this would be good. I know I'd be willing to pay an extra 10 or 20 bucks for this service if I was on vacation there, especially if I had 2 or more crabby kids after a day in the mountains or at parks, etc.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
It's slow. Even Dollywood has cut back several days. Try posting this on the Knoxville forum. You will get more answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business