Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:03 PM

559 posts, read 1,355,896 times

Advertisements

The other night I got a telemarketing call from a telemarketer from he!!. He was sexually explicit, vile, racist and rude. He originally asked to speak to Jerry, I told him there was no Jerry here. He then asked for Mr. ...and mispronounced my Husbands last name. Trust me I am 48 years old and I've heard it all, this guy made my hair curl. Really really bad

His number didn't come up on Caller ID so to get it, I needed to involve the Police, it was that bad and that scary with the guy at one point telling me he was going to Google Earth my home to see if it was worth his time. Not your normal telemarketer.

The next day I received 5 calls from companies asking to speak to Mr. Mispronounced name. These calls were from contractors and other businesses. Turns out this telemarketer from hell is now calling around and when someone doesn't want his service or call, he calls back, is rude, racist and sexually explicit but using my companies and my husbands name.

I haven't heard from the cops yet even after calling to add this latest prank to the Original police report.

What should I do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 01:09 PM

9,356 posts, read 14,297,668 times
It may be a too late now for you, but, as a rule, I almost never answer a call if the caller ID is inhibited in some way or if I do not recognize the number; and even on those rare occasions when I do pick up the phone, I don't say anything but wait for the other person to speak, if they ever do, and let them identify themselves first. Otherwise, no conversation. If I don't like what I hear, no conversation.

More spam on telephone these days than on email, emblematic of the moral state of consumerist society, sick bastids single everyone, and how could it be otherwise, it's mathematical.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:17 PM

559 posts, read 1,355,896 times
Thanks Bale........

My fault is I am in sales and know that most telemarketers are just doing a job for a pay check. I am always polite and will explain why I don't need their product or service. I don't belittle them, although I did have some fun with this guy after while.

A few things I've learned. First of all with VOIP and Skype, telephone numbers are not always traceable as they are really IP addresses. Second there is a way to spoof IP phones to use any caller ID you may want to use. Also there are some really really sick people out there........this guy threatened to call the Police to report my husband was molesting "15 year old little blond girls" and you know what, the police would have to investigate and it could be a very very bad situation, even with no victim.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:23 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Why can't the phone company trace the number? They did it for me years ago, they don't give you the number but they turn it over to the police to take action on it. And the police did.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:31 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Telemarketers, I thought, are required to show their number, right?

Old 01-16-2009, 02:33 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
The are but they all don't do it.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:25 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
And every driver is required not to exceed the posted limit, come to complete stop at stop signs, etc also.

Blocked Caller ID calls aren't answered at my house.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:00 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,767,964 times
We have had a telemarketer from CA that has a recording that they can help us get rid of our credit card debt. We don't have any credit cards, but they call all the time so I called back their number and when they asked how much credit debt I had I said 100,00.00 and they hung up.

So I called back and got someone different and repeated and I hung up. They thought we got disconnected and called me from their phone so I cussed them big time and told them not to call me anymore.

They hung up on me 5 times and then stopped answering when I called. They must of taken me off their list cause I have not heard from them for 2 weeks now.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:10 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
I used to work for the phone company. You can do a Call Trace. Heres the info on how to do one for At&T

AT&T All In One(R): Call Management Features| Small & Medium Business Customer Center| AT&T

Personally I dont answer unless I recognize the number and sometimes not even then. I have a low tech answering machine that lets me listen when people leave a message. If its important they will leave a message.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:30 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Call trace will fail on just about all of this type of call. The phone companies and government regulators have totally failed in addressing the problems. It almost makes me long for the old days when there was Ma Bell. There used to be a call screener that you could put on your incoming phone line that would redirect calls based on your own parameters. That way, no telemarketer or automated call would ring through. I just checked, and the website for it is down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business