Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:39 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but that is NOT enough... ending the job bank is not enough for the company to survive... it needs more DEEPER cuts... when you hit bone, keep on cutting if you want to survive... the job bank was only FAT... you still have to go through muscle... it ain't over yet GM...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:05 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
In the end I suppose America will get what it is coming to us. The more we outsource well paying jobs overseas or subcontract out work, the more home values will fall. If you're a business that caters to the middle class you will continue to lose business as people cut back on spending. Telecommunications companies, the restaurant industry, car dealerships, entertainment companies from movie theaters to theme parks, the list is endless. They will all continue to get downsized. Even the second largest owner of mall properties is filing for bankruptcy.
You still don't get it. But a lot of people don't either which is why we are in the mess we are in.

People think companies outsource to elsewhere to be mean and put people out of work. The reality is as a business you have to do what you have to do to be competitive. Look at Michigan, a failed liberal state if there ever has been one. You would have to be out of your mind to start a business there. It's a overtaxed, over regulated, union first state. It is anti business so businesses fail or flee to warmer climes.

If you burden corporations by bending them over a barrel to rape them with unions, give them some of the highest federal corporate taxes in the world and then bash them with tens of thousands of pages of regulations and then further the pain with excessive layers of local and state regulations and taxes companies are going to go elsewhere and do. Is anyone surprised companies go overseas under that regime? Anyone?

People have to stop looking at business as being "bad" and "greedy". Businesses provide the "real" services and goods in this country and people and government have to stop antagonizing them. Else they'll head somewhere else.

Keep in mind too economies evolve and change. What might have been an important job 20 years ago may not be now. Recessions in some ways are good because it scrubs out the companies and people that provide poor service or goods. People have made a big meal out of Circuit City going BK. Ultimately I never heard anything positive about Circuit City from other shoppers and I never liked going there myself. So away it goes.

I think you have to run a business for yourself to understand how much under the gun you are for countless taxes and fees and regulation from local, state and fed authorities and bureaucracy. Personally I believe we need to do away with Fed and state income tax withholding. I think if people had to write out a check like I do every quarter for income tax and the full boat of payroll taxes (15%) there would be a hell of a lot more pissed off people in this country.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:12 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
You still don't get it. But a lot of people don't either which is why we are in the mess we are in.

People think companies outsource to elsewhere to be mean and put people out of work.
Really? Where did I say this?

I simply stated the effect of outsourcing is going to harm America ever more so than the benefits gained from it. The initial gain of lower costs will in the long run be overcome by the reduction in middle class folks that support America's 70% consumer driven economy. When you break the legs of the consumer by cutting pay, jobs, etc. you will eventually kill the economy, or the majority of it.

Did you read the Time Magazine article I linked to?

Old 01-31-2009, 11:53 AM

412 posts, read 939,293 times
Quote:
Look at Michigan, a failed liberal state if there ever has been one. You would have to be out of your mind to start a business there. It's a overtaxed, over regulated, union first state. It is anti business so businesses fail or flee to warmer climes.
I don't agree with this generalization of Michigan. Taxes in Michigan look comparable to other Midwest state, I'm not aware of any abnormal regulation in Michigan vs. other Midwest states, and the unions don't seem all that powerful, aside from in the auto industry. Look at the areas of Michigan that aren't tied to the auto industry - are those areas failing?

Quote:
I think you have to run a business for yourself to understand how much under the gun you are for countless taxes and fees and regulation from local, state and fed authorities and bureaucracy. Personally I believe we need to do away with Fed and state income tax withholding. I think if people had to write out a check like I do every quarter for income tax and the full boat of payroll taxes (15%) there would be a hell of a lot more pissed off people in this country.
I do agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business